MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-04-2014, 02:14 PM   #11941
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm5577 View Post

Cooked Some Quick Burgers and Dogs:

The BP makes such the perfect grill in so many ways. It's a heater, food warmer, wind don't affect the coals or food. More coals it sears, less it grills...the coals last longer, it burns clean/efficient. I can't say enough good things about how this drum works. Nothing against all the beautiful UDS's out there but i'm glad i did the BPS for it's functionality.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #11942
disnead
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hello everyone! Decided to go with the BPS kit. Finally put together the kit after I found a SS Drum on Craigslist.

On my first cook my temps spiked to about 330, and then settled in around 275 with a sliver of 1 intake open. I think I started it too fast and it ran away on me. I started wide open, then closed down to 2 on each side open at 200. Before I knew it it was at 300. Next time I'll probably close all but 1 of them down at around 200 to see how that goes.

Going to use the upper position to grill some steaks tonight!

Thanks to everyone that has contributed. This thread is awesome!

Fatty time!

disnead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 PM   #11943
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice looking smoker. Congrats. Need to make a Fatty on my PBC some day.
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #11944
BarbequeAJ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbequeAJ View Post
Mid-America Steel Drum Company

http://www.midamericasteeldrum.com/index.html

25.00 for unlined/unpainted!!!

Burning not an option in the city. Didn't want to do it anyway!

(only read thread up to page 90 so far)

Got an offset coupla years ago and that thing eats fuel. Will keep it for grilling.

Also have electric bullet smoker. Should I convert to charcoal? How?

Attachment 97281

RATS...lady on phone misunderstood after I told her "unlined". Got email saying 55.00 for new drum.

Getting back on the phone to verify...more to come
BarbequeAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #11945
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
The BP makes such the perfect grill in so many ways. It's a heater, food warmer, wind don't affect the coals or food. More coals it sears, less it grills...the coals last longer, it burns clean/efficient. I can't say enough good things about how this drum works. Nothing against all the beautiful UDS's out there but i'm glad i did the BPS for it's functionality.
I've only cooked on it twice so far but I am definitely very fond of it. I can see it easily becoming the go to cooker for anything. I am still debating adding in some holes around the top to put rebar to hang meats, also tempted to add another rack position, I'm picking up a used 22.5" OTG tonight so I'll have a spare lid that I could use to get some added height. But want to get a feel for it before i go and screw with it.

I got the ash catcher with it, and I find it to be clumsy, i can't pull the basket out with out tilting the ash catcher around the thermometer stem, dumping ash into the drum. So I'm using the inner bottom of an old ECB as an ash catcher, works well so far.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #11946
BarbequeAJ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Drum update...doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbequeAJ View Post
RATS...lady on phone misunderstood after I told her "unlined". Got email saying 55.00 for new drum.

Getting back on the phone to verify...more to come

Latest email:

Reconditioned means it has been put through our reconditioning process then repainted. If you are using it for food I would go with new. Our drums come from a various supply of customers and each drum is reconditioned the same way. We have no idea if that drums last contained chemicals or peanut butter that’s why we always recommend new

(Seems like the hardest part of this is the drum!)

BarbequeAJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM   #11947
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm5577 View Post
I've only cooked on it twice so far but I am definitely very fond of it. I can see it easily becoming the go to cooker for anything. I am still debating adding in some holes around the top to put rebar to hang meats, also tempted to add another rack position, I'm picking up a used 22.5" OTG tonight so I'll have a spare lid that I could use to get some added height. But want to get a feel for it before i go and screw with it.

I got the ash catcher with it, and I find it to be clumsy, i can't pull the basket out with out tilting the ash catcher around the thermometer stem, dumping ash into the drum. So I'm using the inner bottom of an old ECB as an ash catcher, works well so far.
Don't screw with adding holes because it won't shut down well when you're done. As far as another grate you can add one on the upper u bolts but i keep a holy pizza pan there myself. For more space if i need it i'll put in a camping grill over my normal grate but gotta use a domed lid in that configuration.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #11948
Grimm5577
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks FWIS, the camp grill seems like a great idea.

This weekend i think I'm going to tear it apart and spray it with some high temp clear coat, and maybe do the silver flame design. either way it needs some protection.
Grimm5577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 10:47 PM   #11949
KC Transplant
Full Fledged Farker

I used a CB cart pretty much identical to that one for my UDS. Worked great. The only problem is that the side tables are weaker without the grill in between to hold them from folding out. You'll need to cut the bars that the grill sat on off to get it to fit. It looked great after a little paint. I even kept the propane burner on the side, but without bracing it I'm afraid with much weight the arms with the table might collapse.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #11950
Espy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well . . . with many thanks to the members of this site, I've finished my first UDS.

I had a few issues to overcome:

1 - Couldn't find less than 4x8 sheets of expanded steel so grabbed 2 pcs of 1/2" 12x24 from Lowes; it will probably burn out but to be honest it made the fire basket pretty easy

2 - Couldn't find replacement coal grate for 18" kettle so went with the 22.5" (17" diameter); my basket is 13" in diameter and 12" high so I'll have to keep an eye on how that performs

3 - Put my grate bolts at 4" and 8"; my drum measures 32.5" inside so I'm at 22.5 from the basket to the bottom grill

I have some flaws in the paint but I can live with those.

Tomorrow I'll season it and do a fatty, chicken wings and maybe some elk burgers.

Sorry about the picture orientation - still working that out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3333.jpg (53.3 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3334.jpg (53.4 KB, 542 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3335.jpg (48.9 KB, 540 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3338.jpg (63.1 KB, 543 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3340.jpg (85.0 KB, 542 views)
Espy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #11951
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

In the process of building my 2nd UDS , I'm entering my 1st bbq contest on the 4th of July , so I need more cooking space , weber lid fits perfect , going to burn it out tonight once the wind dies down
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 579 views)
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #11952
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Those are all beautiful UDS!! I really like that stainless one! Man I wish I could afford a stainless barrel. They are pricy but so beautiful.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #11953
Bush Pig
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow what a thread!!! Thank you everyone in your input as i just finished my UDS "The Smokin Friar". I did a long season burn and gona try cooking some grub on it on my next day off. Any suggestions on a first smoke item? Will post pic soon. Aloha

Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 PM   #11954
Espy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm doing my season burn and it's not coming up to temp very well.

Started with 4 lbs of lump and 4 chunks of hickory. Put 10 briquettes in the chimney and added to the fire basket when they coated grey. When I poured the briquettes in the fire basket they dispersed quite a bit - looks like my basket is too big because it took a long time to get the lump burning and up to 200*.

I have 3 3/4" nipples with 2 uncapped and the ball valve (full port) wide open and the best I can do is 250* - there's about a 40* diff between the center of the rack and the thermo.

Looks like a long day ahead of me to figure this thing out.
Espy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #11955
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espy View Post
I'm doing my season burn and it's not coming up to temp very well.

Started with 4 lbs of lump and 4 chunks of hickory. Put 10 briquettes in the chimney and added to the fire basket when they coated grey. When I poured the briquettes in the fire basket they dispersed quite a bit - looks like my basket is too big because it took a long time to get the lump burning and up to 200*.

I have 3 3/4" nipples with 2 uncapped and the ball valve (full port) wide open and the best I can do is 250* - there's about a 40* diff between the center of the rack and the thermo.

Looks like a long day ahead of me to figure this thing out.
I usually dump about half a chimney worth of lit brigs. I don't know how many that is but it's way more than 10.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker