MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #11761
XLInfidel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Lots of different baskets out there. As long as you keep it up off the bottom around 3inches you should be good to go. You can make it taller or larger, once full as it holds more, you get longer burn times but that should not be an issue. Also the more coals it holds, the heavier the basket gets lifting it into the drum.
Thanks ebijack.

One other question. I haven't installed one yet, but is a water pan or heat deflector a necessity in a UDS? I did read two of the water pan threads from the roadmap post and see they're commonly used (required) in other types of smokers. I've also read that some folks do use them or a heat deflector in a UDS. Does the UDS hold stables temps without them, or should I install a water pan or heat deflector?

If so, how high above the coal basket? Thanks.

(I do have a minimum 24 inch clearance between the grill and the bottom of the coal basket.)
XLInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #11762
krshome
Full Fledged Farker

I just place a perforated pizza pan on top of my basket as a heat defuser. No you don't need it but it prevents a hot spot in the center of the grill. with the defuser you get a more even heat across the grill grate.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #11763
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

For me I use a drilled out pizza pan to even out the heat. I do not use a water pan but other do. I do catch the drippings in an aluminum pan with foil in it when I want the drippings for making gravy etc. Using a pan and stopping the fat from dripping down onto the coals like when catching the drippings does take away some of that cooked over an open flame that I really enjoy from the UDS. But when I need gravy, I catch some for awhile and then remove the pan so the rest of the drippings can get to the coals thru the drilled out pizza pan. But that is only how I do it.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #11764
mikeylikesit5805
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default UDS is getting there

well we are getting close! need to finish up the charcoal basket. What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds1.jpg (24.8 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg uds2.jpg (38.8 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg uds3.jpg (44.1 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg uds4.jpg (41.9 KB, 736 views)
File Type: jpg uds5.jpg (42.4 KB, 733 views)
mikeylikesit5805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #11765
knitmar

Default What do we think....?

I think it looks great. Congratulations!
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #11766
XLInfidel
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thanks krshome & ebijack. What size pizza pan works best to ensure good airflow up through the UDS? I've heard folks saying to leave at last a couple of inches open around the sides (ie., no more than an 18 inch pan in a 22.5 inch wide drum).
XLInfidel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #11767
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Nice Mikey!

For the pizza pan I use a 16 inch with a lot of holes drilled thru it.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:23 AM   #11768
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLInfidel View Post
Thanks krshome & ebijack. What size pizza pan works best to ensure good airflow up through the UDS? I've heard folks saying to leave at last a couple of inches open around the sides (ie., no more than an 18 inch pan in a 22.5 inch wide drum).
If you put the right size holes in the pizza pan you will still get drippings through to the fire. I tested this diffuser I made and my center temps were within 10 degrees of the outer temps. I use it regularly now.

Nice UDS by the way!

cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #11769
N2entropy

Looking Nice!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #11770
mikeylikesit5805

Thanks guys! Two questions:

1. I need to pick up 2 pizza pans. Do I need to stay away from any kind? I'm using them for my defuser and ash pan. I wasn't sure if there was a coating I needed to stay away from

2. My drum is just a little too big for my lid. I was thinking about doing the inside metal lip. But I all so might be able to get away with silicon what do you think? I can post a picture layer today!
mikeylikesit5805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #11771
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeylikesit5805 View Post
Thanks guys! Two questions:

1. I need to pick up 2 pizza pans. Do I need to stay away from any kind? I'm using them for my defuser and ash pan. I wasn't sure if there was a coating I needed to stay away from

2. My drum is just a little too big for my lid. I was thinking about doing the inside metal lip. But I all so might be able to get away with silicon what do you think? I can post a picture layer today!
Silicone shouldn't hurt. I have used it in cooking chambers before and never been sick. I really don't know on the pan coating. Mine was a teflon coated pan. I figured it was designed to be in an oven at way higher temps then my UDS will be running but maybe I am wrong.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 AM   #11772
ebijack
Babbling Farker

I use the cheap wally mart or GFS aluminum pizza pans.
As far as fitting the lid, there are a few different options. Just depends on what your comfortable doing and want to tackle.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #11773
DjPorkchop
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
I use the cheap wally mart or GFS aluminum pizza pans.

That is what I use to. I use the cheapos from wally world. For 1 they are cheap, and 2 I get discount on them there. I avoided the one with all the holes in it and got the solid one and drilled my own holes.

Never be afraid to try something new. Amateurs built the Ark, Professionals built the Titanic
DjPorkchop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 06:22 PM   #11774
AndrewMH

I'm trying to upload pics of my UDS but it seems I'm being outsmarted. How do I upload?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (60.3 KB, 592 views)
AndrewMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #11775
AndrewMH

Nevermind I guess I accidentally got it.
AndrewMH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker