Our chicken Disaster in Wildwood

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well the cooker got away from us and decided it wanted to cook at around 400. It shrunk the crap out of thesemade them all out of whack in shape and blackened the rub! Our only choice was to sauce it up and see what we could come up with. Our thighs were 176 in 45 minutes but I still needed to get good skin so had to continue to cook. MISTAKE = you can make a thigh taste like leather!!! The last three cooks with my new method had the thighs at 163ish right at box time. needless to say these got hammered by the judges.

Last edited:
Stop By this weekend, for a small fee Mr Bobo has some very good tonic to help fix your chicken, its also good for cleaning your smoker, removing decals, etc. :p

I remember your chicken in Marietta which was 2nd place. On another thread your looking to trade some recipes - what happened to your chicken since Marietta? Do you remember our tripping around with chicken at Marietta but ended up doing better than expected. Good luck!

I remember your chicken in Marietta which was 2nd place. On another thread your looking to trade some recipes - what happened to your chicken since Marietta? Do you remember our tripping around with chicken at Marietta but ended up doing better than expected. Good luck!

I still have that recipe going, but always looking to improve that crappy little meat. Thanks

Matt is unable to follow the same recipe week to week. :crazy:

I have cooking adhd. I can never cook the same thing at a comp. Every week we do everything different. I do stick to the basic pork and brisket recipe but always throw something extra in to make a small change.

For this weekend try something different, it cant be any worse

I have cooking adhd. I can never cook the same thing at a comp. Every week we do everything different. I do stick to the basic pork and brisket recipe but always throw something extra in to make a small change.

Matt is unable to follow the same recipe week to week. :crazy:

Hi Chris,

Congrats on the Jack win last year and all your success in 2010!

Since we are on the subject of chicken. I enjoyed your recent blog post on chicken. Do you recall what temp you cooked at and for how long? One temp or did you kick up the heat at the end. Was the skin bite through? Sure looked great!

As a master chicken cook, any tips you care to share to those of us walking around in the dark?

For this weekend try something different, it cant be any worse

You are right about that. I have a great idea for chicken this week. I am going cuban bbq. Start with some mojo marinade. I am going to direct grill over charcoal and baste with sofrito. At last minute I am going to glaze the entire thing with a roated tomato garlic and cilantro butter. Probably get first place, or at least it should but it would get last!!!!:tape:

You are right about that. I have a great idea for chicken this week. I am going cuban bbq. Start with some mojo marinade. I am going to direct grill over charcoal and baste with sofrito. At last minute I am going to glaze the entire thing with a roated tomato garlic and cilantro butter. Probably get first place, or at least it should but it would get last!!!!:tape:
You aint got the cajones to do it

Get some can syrup for the finishing glaze and you might have something there...

Back