MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

Default Pot Roast

okay, not que but a question has arised. Cooking for a church supper and someone wants to do a roast but doesn't know how much is needed. So when doing a roast, in a crock pot, does anyone know how many servings a pound of raw meat will yeild?
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2012, 08:39 AM   #2
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

What's a crock pot?
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #3
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Probably the same as pork.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
AUradar
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatpig View Post
What's a crock pot?
thats what I said when I was first asked.

I did pork this week, it was suggested I do a pork roast in a crock pot. I gave the person a dirty look.
AUradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

The yield of meat will be the same as if you were cooking the same cut of beef in a smoker. Thus, if you cook a chuck, no bone, and expect a 60% yield (40% loss, dry wieght), reasonable, then you would expect the same of meat done in a crock pot. The difference being, of course, you end up with gravy and veggies. Assuming you would feed 1/3 pound, dry weight of meat, then you need to start with somewhere around 2/3 pound of meat for ease of math. I still think 1/2 pound of meat is a decent number for a mixed crowd, thus 1/2 pound +/- per person.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with Landarc.I would figger roughly 1/2 pound raw meat weight per person----
However this statement needs to be clarified--if the pot roast is cooked World War II style or depression style it has 50 pounds potatoes and 25 pounds of carrots per one pound of meat. Grandma made it that way--she would use bone in chuck and then we'd eat soup for two more days by boiling the bone
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #7
DennyDustin
Found some matches.

Pot roast is a braised beef dish. It is typically made by browning a roast-sized piece of beef to induce a Maillard reaction, then slow-cooking in or over liquid in a covered dish. Thanks!
DennyDustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:35 AM   #8
sscookwaresets
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUradar View Post
okay, not que but a question has arised. Cooking for a church supper and someone wants to do a roast but doesn't know how much is needed. So when doing a roast, in a crock pot, does anyone know how many servings a pound of raw meat will yeild?

Hey,

Place roast in crock pot. Add all ingredients in bowl; mix up well. Pour over roast. Cook on low for some time or until it tender. If you serve each person 3 oz of meat, you will be able to get 42 servings out of a 20 lb. whole roasted beef.
sscookwaresets is offline   Reply With Quote