Stumps xl baby comp

Firefighter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Is a stumps xl baby big enough to cook a competition? I'm thinking about ordering one and I may like to try cooking in a comp once or twice next year.

What type of competition? KCBS, MBM, IBCA, etc.?

BTW, I am going to move this to the competition section.

It could definitely do a KCBS competition. You just need to practice your timing.

I cooked 3 racks of st louis ribs, 2 trays of chicken (16 pieces), 1 brisket and 2 butts. I did the entire thing on a BWS gator. You can definitely do it on a Stumps XL Baby

I agree that it is possible. The racks are roughly the same size as my FEC-100 and I could easily cook a whole comp on it. As Jaskew mentioned, the timing is important. I cook two butts and two briskets, 4 racks of ribs and 16 thighs. The butts and briskets cook overnight and are usually done by 9:00am and go into my Cambro to rest. The ribs go on at 8:00am and chicken at 9:30.

Now... having a second grill or smoker is handy, especially if you want to do the ribs or chicken at a different temp, but it's not necessary.

Because of size? Is it too small?
Should reword my original statement....yes it is possible, but doesn't fit my needs as a sole comp cooker.
As said above it could be done with the correct timing.

Back