• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Quick Thawing Brisket

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok I want to have this thing thawed out by saturday night. I put it in the fridge wednesday night. what is the safest way for me to get it ready for the WSM It still feels rock solid frozen. and today is friday.

Yeah, when I thaw in the fridge, there is a fine line when the meat starts to get soft. My guess is when the meat rises from 32º to 33º. My thermometers for both my freezers read -5º to 0º. So after a few days in the fridge, it will suddenly thaw. Tough to judge sometimes and some counter time may be in order?

Depending on size put in sink, bathtub or big bucket with cold water. Change water every so often. I'm assuming it's too big for Microwave?

I am with Rich, also open the packaging a bit to allow air exchange, or take it out completely and loosly cover with a towel. Just my 2 cents.

Alternating between counter time and the fridge will speed up the process without over warming. If it is in cryo-vac, I would leave it sealed.

The bucket and/or bathtub soak works. For fastest thaw, put cyro-vaced brisket in a 5 gallon bucket, put the end of a hose inside the bucket, going to the bottem, and run tap water slowly and conteniously, allowing it to overflow the top. Needless to say, bucket need to be positioned where run-off will not be a problem. A couple of hours of this should get it thawed enough so you can finish in the fridge.

Put it on the counter with a tray under it. It's not going to go bad, and I don't think you have to worry about it being under-cooked for health reasons.

Since you don’t need it ‘till Saturday night, I would alternate between counter and frig. Then on Sat. reevaluate if you need more drastic defrosting measurers.

RichardF said:
Put it on the counter with a tray under it. It's not going to go bad, and I don't think you have to worry about it being under-cooked for health reasons.

Agree with the above comments. I leave it on the counter for 4 hours, flipping once after 2 hours, before it goes in the fridge.

Your gonna take it to 190* anyway, so your not in danger at all

nonthink said:
Since you don’t need it ‘till Saturday night, I would alternate between counter and frig. Then on Sat. reevaluate if you need more drastic defrosting measurers.

I agree, but I think he needs to push it, just a bit, for more counter over fridge today.

If he needs it tomorrow night, then, for my own personal preference, he actually needs it late tonight to at least be thawed enough to apply a rub.

I like a full 24 hours in rub (or Dr Pepper marinade), but thats a personal preference.

i use the cold water methood, with a slow stream running to keep the water circulating.. if its in cryovac, i keep it sealed.. kitchen sink works fine, as long as there is drain for the runoff. .

If there is time, I have also defrosted IN a marinade or brine.. like a turkey defrosting in a very weak brine... one its near comletly defrosted, i changed the brine to my normal mix.
EDIT.. I forgot to add, i do this in a closedd 5 gallon bucket... when outside temps are in the 30-40* range. Works great aroud thanksgiving.. :)

Maybe defrosting a brisket in Dr pepper marinade?? That be worth a try..

heres a little remedial reading.

I agree with Phil's method... fastest, most uniform way to thaw is to do so under cold running water.

My $0.02.

Take it out and put it on the counter.

It is frozen and condensation will form on the outside of the cryovac in the form of frost.

As long as there is frost on the outside, the meat is still at or below 32*, and there is nothing going on bad with the meat. There is no guesing about the temp. The frost is your thermometer.

When the frost melts, the outside of piece of meat is now at 33*, although the middle will still be frozen.

From here you can put it back in the fridge for the remaining time, or give it a water bath to defrost some more if you don't think that you will get the degree or three more that will be needed for a full defrost.

willkat98 said:
I agree, but I think he needs to push it, just a bit, for more counter over fridge today.

If he needs it tomorrow night, then, for my own personal preference, he actually needs it late tonight to at least be thawed enough to apply a rub.

I like a full 24 hours in rub (or Dr Pepper marinade), but thats a personal preference.

True. I didn't think of that. In that case, I'd soak in the cold water too.

cold water method, or if overnight fill a cooler with cold water and place the meat in cooler overnight, this works for me where I need it the next day.

Gracias Mi Amigo's. Will stick that bad boy in the sink with some water after a while and get it ready for a good ol massage in the morning

damn right...just leave it out. it'll be alright for a few hours.

According to health regulations, you should defrost either in the refrigerator or under cool running water. I have seen establishments leave food thawing on the counter and on the floor. What people do not think about is the fact that the outside of the meat thaws quickly, wheras the middle of the brisket may still be frozen. After many hours of defrost time, the outside of the meat may go bad.

Sucker is thawed out and rubbed it down with Willingham's W'ham seasoning. and it is in the fridge till about 1030. it weighs in at 12.6 so its gonna be a long cook. nice thing though is that it folds all the way over from the end of the flat to the point. *highjacking my own thread* now for cooks lasting longer than 12 hours in the WSM whats the most effecient way to add fuel? unlit charcoal lit charcoal or unlit chunks of hardwood and charcoal together?

In the WSM I find that I get about 15 hours running at 225-250 with a full ring of K starting about 25 on top using the minion method, then if needed longer just start again.

Back