Poor Planning

icemn62

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
1st let me admit that I tend to BBQ on the spur of the moment. If I wake up on a Saturday wanting ribs, I might be cooking them that evening.

Last week I decided that I wanted ribs. I did not want to buy them, but i wanted to cook and eat some ribs. I thought "get the folks at work to pay for them." I sold lunches for $10.00 thinking that I can get at least a meal out of the leftovers. The project "bled" over to the wife's job which I thought no problem more to cook, more for me Remember my only goal was to have somebody else pay for my ribs.

Get off work yesterday at 4:30pm. Pick son up from afterschool spot at 5:00pm get home about 5:15pm. load the van with the meat {ribs} coals, my chimney starter, and wood chunks. The WSM is over my parents home. it is about 6:45pm when I get there. change clothes, pull the smoker from the backyard, light the chimney, get coals hot, heat to WSM, and put on the ribs. 7:45pm and we are cooking.

3-2-1 method on the ribs. It is LATE. I have had no real sleep, but the ribs are off the cooker. smells great! looks great! hope they taste great...

so far, my half slab of ribs I did not want to pay for has cost me, 1 nites sleep....Had to cook for 11 other people....Had to do all the errands at the parents home I kept putting off...Had to gas up the van to get to parents home and back. I did not want to pay for the ribs . . . yeah right!

Put the orders together this AM and dropped them off. (Crap!) I forgot 1 person, I have to go home put my lunch together and rush back to the job to drop off the last one. It is my day off, I only have enough ribs left over so my son and I can have ribs. All in all to get some free ribs has cost me about $40.00, for gas, supplies, not to mention my time.

My hat is off to those of you who do this type of thing for a living. I never want to cook for somebody other than my family again. The phone rings and the wife is calling to tell me how her friends keep dropping by her office to comment on the ribs. They are loving my food. The phone rings again...someone from my job is calling to tell me the comments she is hearing about the Q. People are admitting that I know what I am talking about when I preach/teach low and slow. Now I feel good. All the trouble, the funds, giving up sleep, losing a day off....It IS worth it.

Now I am thinking.....I would like some chicken.......

Great story, Gary!

Remember...

TANSTAAFL!*

*There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

Funny as chit, Ice! I think you might prepare yourself for more phone calls, though... I do believe most of the Qers on this board have gotten their vending start by word of mouth, no? :biggrin:

Nice reference there, Ronelle, to the late, great, RAH.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Nice reference there, Ronelle, to the late, great, RAH.

OK Mr. Smarty Pants... Name the book and character...

Oh puhLEASE. :biggrin:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Mannie said it first, I think. His real and full name (and yes, THIS I had to look up!) was Manuel Garcia O'Kelly Davis.

But let's not hijack Gary's story. :oops:

I applaud your RAH knowledge!
36_7_8.gif

Sorry, Gary... Arlin and I just geeked out for a minute! :roll:

Have you eaten the ribs yet? If not, eat them slowly so tht you get your money's worth! :-D

Just finished to (2) bones and the last of the beans. not to brag, but, Damn I can cook.... I have gotten into the habit of telling the folks at work that my worst ribs are better than what they go to restaurants to pay for. This was also my chance to "put up or shut up.

Tomorrow I will be humble, but I know "I SMOKED EM." Thanks for taking that guy who burned his ribs the 1st time on the smoker and making me into a rib smoking machine.

bbqjoe said:
Karma is such a bitch!

Don't know her, but I'll take your word for it :roll:

The main ingredient is fun, Gary.....sounds like you gonna be busy....:biggrin:

Dang! Sounds like I just lost some customers...

Bigmista said:
Dang! Sounds like I just lost some customers...
The competion sets up shop next door, and you're not even open yet!

There's nothing sacred anymore.

Face it, you will miss the attention and do it again.

:twisted: :p Bigmista, just spread the rumour that iceman boils his ribs.:p :twisted:

Ice- do you deliver to Oklahoma? If you're going to go to all that trouble, you might as well swing by out here, too!

Ron_L said:
I applaud your RAH knowledge!
36_7_8.gif

Sorry, Gary... Arlin and I just geeked out for a minute! :roll:

Have you eaten the ribs yet? If not, eat them slowly so tht you get your money's worth! :-D

You guys made me feel like A Stranger in a Strange Land, for a minute there.

Arlin_MacRae said:
Oh puhLEASE. :biggrin:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and Mannie said it first, I think. His real and full name (and yes, THIS I had to look up!) was Manuel Garcia O'Kelly Davis.

But let's not hijack Gary's story. :oops:

Sorry to get off topic but....I just noticed your location.....I used to live in Meeker Ok for a couple of years( during the Reagan admin.) Kinda miss Oklahoma every now and then.:biggrin:

jpw23 said:
Sorry to get off topic but....I just noticed your location.....I used to live in Meeker Ok for a couple of years( during the Reagan admin.) Kinda miss Oklahoma every now and then.:biggrin:

Man, that's only 20 miles from me!

I've got a buddy from Meeker. I think he's still got family there.

Back