MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
newbie_smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Sams only had "pork shoulder butt". differnet than regular?

My local Sam's was only carrying what they labelled as "Pork Shoulder Boston Butt Cov". The package itself is just labelled pork shoulder butt. Is this different than regular pork butt?

It is a 16 lb package and from what I can see/feel it is two separate pieces like sams normally sells. each piece has its own blade bone and I can't see any shanks in there. I was also able to discern the MM on one part. So is this just a standard butt just labelled differently than usual? Just want to make sure I didn't spend 20 bucks on something that will produce results other than what I'm used to. Thanks for any info you can provide!
newbie_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, you have a pair of regular butts. Shoulder Butt, Boston Butt, Shoulder Blade Roast are all the same. Sometimes you see boneless butts, but most are bone-in. Even though the name butt leads some folks to think they are from the rear end, butts come from the front shoulder. (Hams come from the rear legs).

A whole shoulder would have the picnic end still attached (it's the lower section of a shoulder) and weigh in around 15 to 20 pounds. Here is a visual... whole shoulders on top, picnic on lower left, 2-butts with bone-in on lower right.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
newbie_smoker
Knows what a fatty is.

See I feel as though these are just standard butts as I can't see any part of any shank in the pack. Each piece has an easily identifiable blade bone. Also, there isn't much more fat than normal and I dont have any thick skin or anything like that. I've done about 4 butts before but never had them labelled "pork shoulder butt". I'm hoping these are just normal butts.

I have some pics that I will upload tomorrow. Thanks!
newbie_smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 12:04 AM   #4
thirdeye

I guess there are abnormal, sub-standard and irregular butts.....

Joking aside.... You should be fine. The butt end is not close to the shank/hock end....The fat cap won't be real heavy 1/4" at most, and most always butts are skinless.

Picnics on the other hand usually come with skin, and include the shank and sometimes some of the hock. Although most hocks you see in the stores are from a rear leg. It's not as confusing as it sounds.

BTW, I buy all my butts from Sam's. They used to be from Excel and now I believe they come from IBP,.. both are good quality.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #5
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The best pulled pork is a mix of light, dark, middlins, and Mr. Brown. Eack has a different flavor.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
nolesfan954
On the road to being a farker

Wait til ALL the names change!
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...cuts-pork-chop
nolesfan954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesfan954 View Post
Yup, it's just a renaming of meat. Still the same thing.
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
The best pulled pork is a mix of light, dark, middlins, and Mr. Brown. Eack has a different flavor.
You got that right,... Mr Brown and Miss White are a perfect paring.