Has anyone had sucess with using a meat tenderizer

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone is using a meat tenderizer (jaccard) on briskets or any other type of meat.
I was only interested in using is to get marinade and seasoning down in the meat, not the actual tenderizing. I used to inject and have had good but inconsistent results. Even with a bus tub it's more trouble then it's worth and I found the actual injection to be inconsistent throughout each slice.

The theory of poking a bunch of holes on top of the brisket and rubbing a solution on top sounds intriguing, but I wander by doing this will it turn out overly chewy? If this worked wonders I would think everyone would be doing this.

So should I spend the 20 bucks on buying one or is it not worth it? Thanks.

Just my science fiction 2 cents:

I don't believe in poking a bunch of holes in a cut like brisket. I think the surface of the meat needs to seal in the heat and keep the moisture trapped underneath it.

I like to inject briskets on a 1 inch grid square, but that's not like perforating the meat like a tenderizer.

My 2 pesos.......

Just curious. Do you not like the taste of beef? I mean, I wouldn't spend $50 plus on a big hunk of meat if I didn't like the taste. And if I did like the taste, I certainly wouldn't want to cover it up by marinating it.

Tenderness is achieved by smoking it at a good temperature for a long enough amount of time. You can "cheat" by injecting and marinating, but I think it's going to be difficult to get any sort of consistency that way.

Just my two cents...

Meat tenderizer nope. Just for chicken.
Injecting is easy. Use something like butchers or kosmos. Inject with grain then against the grain in a grid pattern. Massage the meat after. This fixes the distribution issue nicely. Got to rub your meat

I was going to use a tenderizer, but this strange thing happened....As i was cooking and poking at my brisket with my finger, after a good 8 or more hours, my brisket magicly got really tender without using a jaccard or tenderizing chemicals. Must have been gods will.

For brisket no, for other cuts, you betcha!

The local Mexi-mart will have cheap ungraded meat. I'll pick some up for stroganoff or stir fry or something. Jaccard the crap out of it. Turns out good.

I used it on less tender meats (Sirloin, etc.) and while it pry helped I never like the fact that it smashed the meat making me think more of minute steak than a nice thick Sirloin.
It's been sitting in the cupboard for years.
Ed

I just tried on for the first time the other day on Tri-tip.

It seemed to work.

The directions also claimed it would cook quicker. I was skeptical but it proved correct as I cooked it the exact way and similar temps as I always do.

Just curious if anyone is using a meat tenderizer (jaccard) on briskets or any other type of meat.
I was only interested in using is to get marinade and seasoning down in the meat, not the actual tenderizing. I used to inject and have had good but inconsistent results. Even with a bus tub it's more trouble then it's worth and I found the actual injection to be inconsistent throughout each slice.

The theory of poking a bunch of holes on top of the brisket and rubbing a solution on top sounds intriguing, but I wander by doing this will it turn out overly chewy? If this worked wonders I would think everyone would be doing this.

So should I spend the 20 bucks on buying one or is it not worth it? Thanks.

I have a 30 knife jaccard that I use only for grilling London Broil for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and fajitas. I don't use it as a tenderizer, but as a tool to allow the marinade to get deeper into the meat. That is the only thing I have used it for and I have had great results with flavor penetration. I, myself, certainly wouldn't use it on anything else.

all the tri tip at my local costco has been hit with a jaccard. there's even a label that says to cook it through because of the tenderizing process.

I have one and I use it for tough cuts of meat. It works fairly well but will not make something very tough really tender. On really tough cuts, like London Broil, I will hit it with the Jaccard and them do a dry brine for about 1 hour per inch. The Jaccard helps the salt break down the fibers.

I have used a Jaccard on brisket and I have taken Chris Marks's brisket class and he uses one on brisket. He says that he uses it to tenderize as well as driving the seasonings down into the meat.

I have a 48 blade that I use on beef bottom round when I make chicken fried steak.

Never heard of using it on anything like brisket

I used it on less tender meats (Sirloin, etc.) and while it pry helped I never like the fact that it smashed the meat making me think more of minute steak than a nice thick Sirloin.
It's been sitting in the cupboard for years.
Ed

I didn’t care for the Jacaard flattening meat either, so I wired the “foot” up. It worked, now it doesn’t flatten meat, but the un-spring-loaded “foot” doesn’t push the meat off the blades either. Slows things down a bit.

I remember my Grandma Boyle right after feeding the boys plates of eggs, meat, and taters for breakfast would commence to beating the hell out of round steak with a damn hammer in her frilly apron and the waddle of her triceps just flapping in the wind.
Funny what impresses a youngster...
Ed

I'll use mine mostly for helping drive marinade into the meat combined with my vac chamber. IE: copycat chipotle chicken recipe I'll jaccard some chicken and then vac chamber it for 50ish seconds a couple times and then let it sit. Definitely improves the penetration and flavor of the chicken. So yeah, mainly use it for marinade penetration but along with my chamber.

Do any of you ever worry about driving bacteria from the surface of the meat where it would normally be quickly killed by the heat of the grill down into the meat where it might survive the cooking process?

Back