MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #706
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Inject what I am putting Harvest Brine on mine and that may be it I may put a rub on the skin for color and taste but nothing extra to the meat
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #707
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Alright, so you guys sold me on this Harvest Brine and I just ordered it. I couldn't decide what cooker to use, so i'm doing one spatchcocked on the GMG and one whole on the PBC using their hanger. Wegmans had enhanced Shadybrook Farms turkeys for .39/lb, so why not. Both will be dry brined and seasoned the same way. Thinking just some herb butter on the skin as well, but nothing too crazy. Both are in the 13lb range and will use applewood in the GMG and just a Lumberjack comp blend in the GMG.

I'm excited for the results :)

Old 11-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #708
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
How I do it is spatchcock then harvest brine all over inside and out. I will put some under the skin where it is loose. I don't pull the skin to get it loose, just where it is loose from trimming. Personally I put more on the meat side than the inside. May or may not transfer through rib cage so I get most of it where it counts.Wrap tight in plastic wrap for time recommend on the packaging in relation to the weight. Get the smoker going and toss it on.
you can put it under the skin but if I remember Johns instructions it will permeate the skin. the 2 keys are time, a good 3 days, and to wrap it in plastic wrap.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #709
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

I'm also gonna give the Harvest Brine a shot this year. Then give it a spin on the Weber rotisserie.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #710
PaSmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I had always done a wet brine with great results.....was a PIA though, and messy....last year tried Harvest Brine ...tasty and for me was a lot easier to deal with!...Already ordered (and received lightning fast BTW!!) a big bag for this year...Fresh killed 24 pounder ordered for pick-up Tuesday before the big day, that will go in the oven....2 turkey breasts will get the Big Easy treatment!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Big Drum Smoker,Stainless Steel Gasser, Mini "UDS", Weber Jumbo Joe, [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ORANGE[/COLOR] Kamado Cadet, Weber OTS, Weber "Baby Q", Blackstone Pizza Oven, Blackstone Griddle, Turkey Fryer/"Low Country Boil Maker" [/FONT],[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Big Easy Oil-Less Turkey Fryer[/FONT], [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]various other nonsense devices[/FONT]
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Comic Sans MS]“I make it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time.” Mark Twain [COLOR=red](Obviously doesn't apply to fatties)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
PaSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #711
Big George's BBQ

Bump
KCBS

Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #712
Big George's BBQ

Bump
KCBS

Old 11-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #713
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

So to do the Harvest Brine it needs to be on the bird for 2-3 days? I might be too late; havent ordered yet and i'm on the east coast. Would need to have it brined by tuesday at the latest?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #714
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I would order it today if I was going to. They get orders out faster than anyone else I order from. The only delay I had was from the post office once. I still received it within a week though.
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #715
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blythewood BBQ'er View Post
I would order it today if I was going to. They get orders out faster than anyone else I order from. The only delay I had was from the post office once. I still received it within a week though.
Yeah just talked to John on FB and he said I should get it by Saturday if I order today. I have never dry brined so I'm excited. I didnt feel like messing with a wet brine so its settled. lol. Now i gots to find me a bird.

eta: also bought some qsalt!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #716
Blythewood BBQ'er
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

Didn't mess up by getting Q Salt too! It's good stuff!
BUBBA GRILLS 250r, CharGriller Akorn, 1.5 uds, 28in Blackstone, Blackstone Tailgater, Weber Mastertouch Slate Blue, Weber Copper Performer Premium, Weber 26er, Weber Jumbo Joe, and a set of Octoforks!

GOOD FOOD GOOD TIMES AND GOOD FRIENDS CAN BE FOUND HERE!! THE BBQ BRETHREN BASHES!
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8[/URL]
Blythewood BBQ'er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 02:29 PM   #717
SoCalWJS
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Is there a general consensus on the Bird itself?

"Turkey" or "Hen".

Never went for a super fancy bird and my only experience with "Organic" was unremarkable.

Looks like I'll be cooking the Bird at home on Thanksgiving Day for the first time in many years. "Plan A" at this point will be Mad Max on the BGE. A couple of days in a wet brine. Always do it this way and never that difficult. Got one of those 5 gallon Igloo Drink coolers many years ago. Line it with a bag, put the bird in, cover it with brine. Throw a couple of frozen water bottles (plastic) in every few hours, rotating the old one(s) out until it's prep time.

Old 11-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #718
PUNKem733
On the road to being a farker

I spatchcock, then I dry brine for two days uncovered to get the skin super dry. Day of cooking, I place it on the counter for 4-6 hours, with a 1 gallon bag of ice on the breasts. Right before it goes in the oven/smoker I place compound butter under the breast skin.

You don't need gravy for my turkey. I get the breast to 155, and the dark to 180-185. Yes all poultry dark meat turns out much better at that higher temp. Alo all turkeys I cook are in the 12-13 pound range.
PUNKem733 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #719
SirPorkaLot

Name/Nickname : John
Default TALKIN' TURKEY!! (The official/unofficial turkey thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUNKem733 View Post
then I dry brine for two days uncovered to get the skin super dry.

IMHO this is a mistake.

For the brine period (2-3 hours per pound for dry brine), you want to keep all the moisture that the salt pulls out of the bird, close to the skin so it gets pulled back in.

Try wrapping tightly in plastic wrap for brine period and then air dry for a few hours (this is plenty of time to dry skin) before smoking

You will find you get a significantly juicer (20% based on our tests) product keeping it wrapped tight during the brine.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #720
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Is there a general consensus on the Bird itself?

"Turkey" or "Hen".
Toms are castrated, so taste like a hen.

Basically, if you want a smaller bird, you're stuck with a hen. Larger birds are castrated toms.