MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
kernsting
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : K
Default A note for a possible grinder upgrade...

I decided to upgrade from the Kitchen Aide attachment to a dedicated grinder and settled on a Weston. Went to Best Buy online, found the #12 33-1301-W for $179 and settled on it.

What they shipped was the Weston Pro Series #12 Meat Grinder - 1 HP, Silver 10-1201-W - $450 on Amazon. that model is not even listed on the Best Buy web page.

If you are looking for a grinder now, you may want to try your chances on a free upgrade from Best Buy. I don't think they know what they have in stock.
kernsting is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

You definitely got a nice deal....
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #3
PatAttack

Wow!!

Nice score.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

Sold out Thanks though.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:46 AM   #5
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

What is the main difference in these two or the butcher series?

The grinding mechanism looks a bit bigger than the base model. The pro is almost 3 times as heavy so, it doesn't seem as practical for home users. 7# to 9# versus 4# to 5# so, I'm guessing the throat area is larger since both have 1Hp motors.

The Pro and Butcher series appear to be too big to be practical for home users. What am I missing if I'm not grinding a whole hog or cow? Is ~2 minutes difference grinding a whole brisket really worth the extra bulk and weight of the Pro series grinder?

What else am I missing? Cleaning differences or better sausage stuffing? I guess I'm leaning towards the 'base' model for general convenience but, I'm also curious about what the real differences are like motors and such.

TIA,
Sid

Old 06-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Post View Post
What is the main difference in these two or the butcher series?

The grinding mechanism looks a bit bigger than the base model. The pro is almost 3 times as heavy so, it doesn't seem as practical for home users. 7# to 9# versus 4# to 5# so, I'm guessing the throat area is larger since both have 1Hp motors.

The Pro and Butcher series appear to be too big to be practical for home users. What am I missing if I'm not grinding a whole hog or cow? Is ~2 minutes difference grinding a whole brisket really worth the extra bulk and weight of the Pro series grinder?

What else am I missing? Cleaning differences or better sausage stuffing? I guess I'm leaning towards the 'base' model for general convenience but, I'm also curious about what the real differences are like motors and such.

TIA,
Sid

I would guess that the difference is a design change in the model. When I bought my Pro-Series grinder, the Butcher Series was not even in the books back then. I have never seen the Butcher series up close so I can't comment, but the details are listed below.

Butcher Series #12
Permanently lubricated, .75 HP / 560 watt air cooled motor (120 volt, 60 Hz) runs smooth for a lifetime of use
Grinds 6-9 lbs per minute
Offset head design (patent pending) promotes high speeds
Precision engineered steel gears for quiet performance & rugged durability
Five Year Limited Warranty
Disassembles for easy cleanup

Pro Series #12
Permanently lubricated, 1 HP / 750 watt air cooled motor (120 volt, 60 Hz) runs smooth for a lifetime of use
Grinds 6-9 lbs per minute
Offset head design (patent pending) promotes high speeds
Precision engineered steel gears for quiet performance & rugged durability
Five Year Limited Warranty
Disassembles for easy cleanup

I did look at the #12 Pro-Series years ago, but I went with the #8 Pro-Series, not because of price, but rather because of the larger selection of grinder plates, and accessories (Jerky Slicer, Meat Cuber, Patty Maker) that were compatible with it.

I got my Pro-Series in 2006 and the operation of the grinder and the accessories have been flawless for 14 years now. While it only has a .75 horsepower motor, grinds up to 6 pounds of meat per minute, it more than meets my personal needs filling a separate freezer with nothing but vac-sealed sausage.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 06-28-2020 at 11:59 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #7
ChrisH
Knows what a fatty is.

I attempted to get in on this deal, but based on the weight shown on the UPS tracking, it looks like I will be receiving the 33-1301. Have to decide if it is worth keeping for $200 after tax. At least I can return it to Best Buy if I decide not to.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

For a compact countertop model, it is a solid choice IMHO. Like you, I didn't receive the Pro-Series and waffled a bit on keeping it but the lack of snack sticks was a deal killer for me.

The real question for me is #8 for a more compact size and grinding rate or a #22/32 that will reverse for use with the 44-pound meat mixer. For the two rates, keep in mind the fast rate is for the larger grinder plate and the slower rate is for the smaller plate. For stuffing 10mm snack sticks, the #22 grinder might be a real challenge for a novice!