MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #46
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Got mine at a garage sale for $5.00 . Total in complete build is about $135.00. I splurged for the SS domed top and the BGE air intake slidie thingie.

Mine is the small pic up ^^^^^^a bunch of posts.

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #47
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul B View Post
Got mine at a garage sale for $5.00 . Total in complete build is about $135.00. I splurged for the SS domed top and the BGE air intake slidie thingie.

Mine is the small pic up ^^^^^^a bunch of posts.

Paul B
SS UDS
Man, that is the deal of the century!

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2010, 03:33 PM   #48
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker

Looks great. Love the blue performer lid. A blue stainless performer...that's what I'd like to turn mine into.

Nice work on the SS UDS!
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #49
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley View Post
Simply BEAUTIFUL!!

Where do you get or find stainless steel drums? and about how much are they?
For example here is a used one near Boston from Craigslist for $65.
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bfs/1598195507.html

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #50
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

I just finished building a new charcoal basket from 3/4" x #9 expanded metal .
The grate is an 18 1/2" WSM charcoal grate with three 1 1/2" x 1/2 bolt legs.
Neither basket is attached. They both sit on the grate between the bolts and the outer ring.

For shorter cooks I use the 4 3/4" high charcoal ring from the WSM.

For longer cooks I will use the 8 1/4" high expanded metal version.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #51
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Great lookin Drum! Now ya' just need a SS ROL to match! ;)

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #52
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Very nice! Not so ugly though.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #53
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default Nice

Wow that looks good. My wife might even let me have one if it looked like that!

I know of a product that will help you keep it looking like this if you are interested. It's called Ultra Seal and can be found at

http://www.polishplus.com

I works on motorcycle pipes and I use it on my SS gas grill.

Jim

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #54
whodeyQ
Full Fledged Farker

I have a question about the two baskets. The WSM has a lot less perforation than the expanded metal. Do you find the temperature lower when using the WSM ring. I built a UDS in the fall and only got a few burns off before winter. The temperature was 150 degrees higher than I could ever get my WSM. I am planning to try my WSM ring very soon but I thought I'd ask....
whodeyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 PM   #55
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodeyQ View Post
I have a question about the two baskets. The WSM has a lot less perforation than the expanded metal. Do you find the temperature lower when using the WSM ring. I built a UDS in the fall and only got a few burns off before winter. The temperature was 150 degrees higher than I could ever get my WSM. I am planning to try my WSM ring very soon but I thought I'd ask....
I can't tell the difference in temp control between the two different rings. I thought the WSM ring would be better for smaller cooks, but have found that if I just put less lump in the expanded metal ring, it works just as well. Since determining this, I haver wired the expanded ring to the grate and have been using it exclusively.

My drum is very well sealed and I can open the BGE draft door very wide if I need a lot of heat for hot and fast cooks. Your setup may be different.

It will be easy for you to try the WSM ring. Let us know what you find.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:36 PM   #56
jmvitt01
Found some matches.

Ironically enough my UDS setup will be very similar to yours. I have a weber performer fid (green) and the BE draft door. Im wondering since your rig is finished:
1.) How far off the bottom did you mount your vent? Im looking at 3" to match the bottom of my fire basket.
2.) What did you use to seal the BGE draft door? RTV? Stove sealer?
3.) DHow well does your UDS hold temperature? Does the large bge vent door seem to hold constant temperature?

I really appreciate your help. I hope I can have similar results to you!!

JV
jmvitt01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #57
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

JV- I would mount your BGE intake at the bottom of the barrel. It is a great exit for the ashes at clean up time. I have mounted them in various positions up as high as 3"(to bottom) and there is no difference in performance. I never use any sealant as "close counts" when installing. Perhaps if you were mounting it over a dent or you had one of those barrels with ribbs at the bottom you would have to take more care but otherwise the door is snug.

The size of the hole in the UDS means nothing. The amount you have it open is the control. The large opening when opened up is a pizza makers delight but 180 is easypeasy. Your lump has no idea who the door man is and burns the same according to air available.
Every barrel has a sweet spot. I have two going right now that are identical builds and one is sitting a little over 220 and the other is 235. I was trying for 225 for both. I'm sure I could dial them in tighter but that is where they settle. My high and low alarms are 25 deg. each side and I don't think they have ever gone off. The barrels are coming up on 8hrs now with no adjustments, shakes or peaking.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 AM   #58
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvitt01 View Post
Ironically enough my UDS setup will be very similar to yours. I have a weber performer fid (green) and the BE draft door. Im wondering since your rig is finished:
1.) How far off the bottom did you mount your vent? Im looking at 3" to match the bottom of my fire basket.
2.) What did you use to seal the BGE draft door? RTV? Stove sealer?
3.) DHow well does your UDS hold temperature? Does the large bge vent door seem to hold constant temperature?

I really appreciate your help. I hope I can have similar results to you!!

JV
""BGE draft door? RTV?""

That's what I used, seems to be working. After all it doesn't get very hot at that point.

Paul B
SS UDS
SS Auspit
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #59
chikenskin
Knows what a fatty is.

Nice Clean Stainless UDS.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #60
jmvitt01
Found some matches.

I appreciate the feedback. My parts should be here this week. Ill prepare pictures to show the status of my build.

JV
jmvitt01 is offline   Reply With Quote