• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

WSM First Pork Butt

pghbbqer

Reaction score
Hi All!

This is my first post on here. Have been smoking for a few years and decided to pop the pron cherry. I have a Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited (heavily modded) and just got the 22.5 wsm a few weeks ago. Also have the BBQ Guru CyberQ.

Smoked with hickory at 250 for 10 hours to 195F no foil, then wrapped in foil and rested for an hour in the cooler. Had the parents and family over for my dads birthday and now im left with no left overs, they took them :/

Super hero WSM (super windy on Saturday had to pull out the welding blanket)

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 117
  • photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 113
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 114
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 113
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 114
Nice. Love the Super Hero WSM reference. Maybe you can call it the SSM from now on. The Super Smokey Mountain.

Looks great! :hungry:

The upside of no leftovers is that you have an excuse to smoke again Real Soon. :biggrin1:

Oh yeah... Looks great with the silver cape.

Looks great! :hungry:

The upside of no leftovers is that you have an excuse to smoke again Real Soon. :biggrin1:

Oh yeah... Looks great with the silver cape.

Oh yeah!!! I definitely will be, usually smoke every weekend or every other once the temps hit about 70 outside. :grin:

Loving the WSM though, so much easier than the offset stick burner, a lot less fuel too!

Very nice!

Be very careful, it can quickly turn into an addiction/obsession and you'll be gone every weekend......

Very nice!

Be very careful, it can quickly turn into an addiction/obsession and you'll be gone every weekend......

Im already there haha. My wife was complaining about the WSM purchase until I cooked this butt :)

Here is my offset which i call the wood hog, all mods thanks to this forum.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 96
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 96
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 96
Do you guys usually score the fat cap or just leave as is? I like the presentation of the score, but does it help with flavoring since you can get rub down in the cracks?

Short answer "YES"

Thanks for this! I do like the presentation better, especially if you have guests over. My only issue would be transport, seems like the squares, if the meat is tender, would flake off if handled improperly.

Thanks Cow Girl and Big George it was juicy and delicious.

Only issue I had was once it was pulled it started getting cool within 10 minutes or so, is there a trick besides a warming tray to keep the temp up? I poured the drippings in but there wasn't a whole lot since some of it burned in the pan while on the smoker.

Only issue I had was once it was pulled it started getting cool within 10 minutes or so, is there a trick besides a warming tray to keep the temp up?

I've had some success putting all the pulled product in a crock pot set to low, or warm. That way guests can serve themselves at their leisure and get a nice hot product.

I've had some success putting all the pulled product in a crock pot set to low, or warm. That way guests can serve themselves at their leisure and get a nice hot product.

Thats a good idea as well! Does the meat/pork get too mushy? And how does the bark hold up? Thanks for your reply.

Back