MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Default So Cal Charcoal Connection

For you So Cal Brethren I thought I would pass this along.

http://www.calchar.com/cart/

They are located in Commerce and have great prices. They are mainly a commercial restaurant supplier but they do sell to the public. I picked up a 40lb bag of Oak lump charcoal today for $15+tax. Its made especially for them in Mexico??? I'd rather have a US made but I'll open it this weekend to see how it is. They said its maily large chunks and reccommended by the owner. They have a very good oak/hickery mix Nature-Glo Charcoal 40lbs for $25. I used the mix last time and it was great stuff but thought I would see how the straight oak worked.

They have several different types of woods for the smoke but they are split logs. They don't have chunk wood but do have wood chips. I don't like chips so I passed on them. Once my chunk supply gets down I'll check out the split wood. I figure I can cut them to size at home.

They have charcoal briquettes and firewood also.

I have no connection with them and not trying to spam. I just thought I would pass the info on to help out the local Brethren.

Jerry

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've gotten a few bags of Nature Glo from them - I liked a couple of 'em a lot and a couple of 'em had a lot of small pieces. I thought their hardwood lump didn't burn all that hot, but the price is definitely great on both of those. I go there sometimes to get splits, but I can only go on days off because of their operating hours - but when I can, I get my arse down there and stock up. .

I sometimes go to Whitt's Woodyard on Sepulveda in West L.A. and I have a feeling that they get their stuff from Cal Char.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
ALLENY
Full Fledged Farker

I just bought 1 40 lb bag of the nature glo which is supposedly a premium restaurant quality and 1 bag of the oak lump charcoal. It seems to be a great deal ( i hope). Thanks for tip, i work in that area but i never new they existed.
ALLENY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
big brother smoke

I have been going there for a couple of years. They also have Royal Oak Select Briquettes.

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
halfprice
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLENY View Post
I just bought 1 40 lb bag of the nature glo which is supposedly a premium restaurant quality and 1 bag of the oak lump charcoal. It seems to be a great deal ( i hope). Thanks for tip, i work in that area but i never new they existed.

I filled my egg yesterday with the oak I just got from them. Very big pieces inside the bag. Hopefully I'll smoke something this weekend and see how it does. I've got two birthday parties this weekend so my time will be limited.

Glad the tip helped you out.

Jerry

Old 12-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I live near downtown L.A. and I go here:
http://firewoodofmyranch.com/framztwo.html

Their 40lb lump mesquite sells for $10. These guys also sell wood to local restaurants.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
gtr

^^^I'll have to check that place out - thanks!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 04:31 PM   #8
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

I 2nd the "firewood from my ranch". I live in San Diego, and they deliver to restaurants here once a week. I have to buy a mim order of 15 bags, but worth it!
mtbchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
BigSmoky
Found some matches.

Thanks for the tip on the Ranch store in LA. I will go and load-up

Old 12-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #10
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

http://firewoodofmyranch.com/framztwo.html in L.A. has "Frontier" brand lump in 40 pound bags for about $23.00 Best I can get for now.
mtbchip is offline   Reply With Quote