MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
jille
Found some matches.

Question I have a Dumb Question

I have just orginazed a Back Yard Barbecue Competition, I need to know if there are special forms for judging this competition. I know it is something that everyone should know if they are running a BBQ Competition, but I'm new so please be Kind to this Old Woman!

We are hoping to get this event up and running smoothly, and would like to be able to have one every year. Therefore, we want to get it right the first time out, so that if you do manage to make it to my Island, you will want to come back next year as well.

I would be grateful for any advice you would like to offer.

Thanks,
Jille
jille is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am going to move this to the comp forum for a little more exposure and feedback. I think it warrants that.

Any helpful suggestions for a new member guys?

Go to cattle call and introduce yourself Jille if you haven't already.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
parrothead

We might need a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish with this. Fundraiser, neighborhood get together, etc.?

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
spicewine
Babbling Farker

JILLE: I think that you would be miles ahead of the game by adopting the KCBS rules for your cook off. Even though you might not meet all of the criteria, down the road, you won't have to change the rules. KCBS has a great set of rules for all cookers and is listed on their Web Site.

Please contact me if you have any problems and I will help in what ever way I can!!

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Aimee
Knows what a fatty is.

Jille,

It is not a dumb question at all. My suggestion would be to judge the back yard BBQ like you would a sanctioned BBQ Competition. With the score cards etc...I think it would be easier for you and more organized, plus the score cards are already generated, less work for you. I do not think KCBS would have a problem with you using their score cards????? Does anyone know if KCBS would have a problem with Jille using their score cards? Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:27 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Welcome to the Bretheran, can u give us any more details, might be easier to answer your questions
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Hey Jille, drop me a line, the GLBBQA may be able to help you with getting this organized. I agree with all of the other suggestions so far, dont try and re-invent the wheel, the KCBS has done a very good job of making rules that are easy to follow and are widely known. Drop me a line and we can move forward.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #8
jt
Babbling Farker

Responses like this make me proud to be a member of this site. Way to go guys.

Jille - please take Mike & Jay up on their offers. Events like yours are great for educating the public!

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 05:04 PM   #9
jille
Found some matches.

I have to tell ya, This is a GREAT site! Lots of info, and great advice.
We are located in Ionia County, between the City of Ionia, and the City of Portland on the Grand River. I have a large Island, that has been under used and hardly anyone knows about it. (I am about to change all of that!) To find us on mapquest, use Lyons, MI 48851, or our web site is www.lyonsvillage.org there is a map button there.
This event is a fundraiser for the future Lyons Skate Park. We have young people who really enjoy skate boarding, and will use just about anything to do tricks, and jumps. Including bike racks. A group of us decided we should get them a place to their stuff, that was safer, and not down the middle of main street. We are also going to help restock the local Food Pantry by taking donations. There is going to be a Breakfast and the proceeds will be going to the Food Pantry as well.
Directions to find us is easy, we are off I-96 halfway between Grand Rapids and Lansing. Take the Lyons-Muir Exit # 73, go north 7 miles follow the street until you come to a blinking light (this will be Downtown Lyons), turn left at the Bank follow the road around the curve, stop at the end of the Fire Department (long brown brick building) and left onto the Island. There is a parking area across from the Fire Department.
The gate to the Island will be open at 2:00 pm Friday, October 5, 07.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
jille
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Hey Jille, drop me a line, the GLBBQA may be able to help you with getting this organized. I agree with all of the other suggestions so far, dont try and re-invent the wheel, the KCBS has done a very good job of making rules that are easy to follow and are widely known. Drop me a line and we can move forward.
Thank-you all for your suggestions. I have gotten the rules and regulations from the KCBS site along with lots of other great information. Still looking for the judging cards though. In the future I would like to make this an Offical KCBS Competion. But I need to get through this one first. And if I have anything left after this, I will look into making it happen.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
jille
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spydermike72 View Post
Mike,
Thanks, I would be happy for any assistance you may want to offer. The event is October 5th and 6th, so it maybe to late for you to jump in at this point. But if you have any suggestions, or would like to show up and do a walk-a-bout, I would love to have you do so.
Jill

Old 09-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #12
jille
Found some matches.

Post Answer to a Dumb Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
We might need a little more info on what you are trying to accomplish with this. Fundraiser, neighborhood get together, etc.?
OK, I have attached all of my flyers on this Barbecue for you to look over. If I need to do any corrections, or make some changes, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BBQ MAIN FLIER.pdf (409.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: pdf BBQ CLASS LISTING FLIER.pdf (101.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf GRILL RULES.pdf (54.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf REGISTER.pdf (125.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: pdf BBQ CAMPING.pdf (148.9 KB, 6 views)

Old 09-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
jille
Found some matches.

Lightbulb Still looking for the Judging form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Welcome to the Bretheran, can u give us any more details, might be easier to answer your questions
I have attached my forms so you can look them over. I think I have got most of it covered. Its the judging part I am having trouble with.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BBQ CLASS LISTING FLIER.pdf (101.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf GRILL RULES.pdf (54.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: pdf REGISTER.pdf (125.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf BBQ CAMPING.pdf (148.9 KB, 3 views)

Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jille View Post
I have attached my forms so you can look them over. I think I have got most of it covered. Its the judging part I am having trouble with.
J,

Your local KCBS rep should be able to help in the judging area. We have hosted 2 CBBQA "backyards" and our rep Kelly here has been a huge help repping and educating judges for the event. We have not done overnites, as we have had these in my cul de sac each time, but always a lot of fun. PM me if I can be of help!

Chris

Old 09-24-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
jille
Found some matches.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
J,

Your local KCBS rep should be able to help in the judging area. We have hosted 2 CBBQA "backyards" and our rep Kelly here has been a huge help repping and educating judges for the event. We have not done overnites, as we have had these in my cul de sac each time, but always a lot of fun. PM me if I can be of help!
Chris
OK Folks, just WHO is my Local KCBS rep? If your out there, drop me a line or two. We are located in Michigan, just off I-96 half way between Lansing, and Grand Rapids. Sitting at the bend of the Grand River, and Maple River. (GREAT FISHING for those of you who also like to fish, and was the home of the Maple River Ottawa's once upon a time.)