MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
rugbyguytx
Got Wood.

Default Cutting Table/Work Area

So here's the deal. One of my side ventures is with a tailgating team in the area. We do it up huge and usually have around 150-200 people join us every home game and 2-3 of us are usually cooking, cutting, serving. As the season kicks off again, we are starting to remember why those small while folding tables suck for food prep. Lay the cut-mat down and a cutting board on top, drop the food down and start carving, chopping, cutting, etc. The height of the table kills the back and I would like to find/build something that would work for prep and carving/chopping, be able to put a logo on it if necessary and maybe have some storage on it.

Anyone built something that would work you could share pics of or maybe there is something out there already built?

Whatcha guys think?
rugbyguytx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Mark
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mark

Get some heavy wall PVC pipe for the table legs to fit into to achieve whatever height you need.

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyguytx View Post
So here's the deal. One of my side ventures is with a tailgating team in the area. We do it up huge and usually have around 150-200 people join us every home game and 2-3 of us are usually cooking, cutting, serving. As the season kicks off again, we are starting to remember why those small while folding tables suck for food prep. Lay the cut-mat down and a cutting board on top, drop the food down and start carving, chopping, cutting, etc. The height of the table kills the back and I would like to find/build something that would work for prep and carving/chopping, be able to put a logo on it if necessary and maybe have some storage on it.

Anyone built something that would work you could share pics of or maybe there is something out there already built;
Whatcha guys think?
I planned to build a table, then I found stainless steel tables at Fast Fixins and bought a tall table thats 4'X 22".

I'm tall so I have felt your pain...
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
bkleinsmid
Got Wood.

I hear you about the low back......tables good to eat at are not good to work at.
I found a set of folding, adjustable length, metal saw horses at Lowes some time back. I grabbed a used hollow core door and screwed the horses to it and glued some cheap flooring to the top side. When it is folded up and laying in the bed of the truck, it is only about 4 or 5 inches tall. When I open it up to use, the legs will stand up well past 40". This will not give you any storage space but it is very easy to move and store.

Brad
bkleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Get some heavy wall PVC pipe for the table legs to fit into to achieve whatever height you need.
^^^^^This.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

We use lots of the wire shelf rolling storage carts from costco or sam's. They're reasonable and allow banners and storage right where we are. Makes loading that much easier. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I use Lifetime tables with 6" PVC pipes for leg extensions. Works awesome and my back thanks me for it. And I use disposable cutting boards on top.

I explored building my own table and getting stainless steel but dang that got expensive.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Yep. A lot of people do this...

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Cabela's sells some prep tables that are 37" ft high. I have been eyeballing them online, but have no firsthand experience with them.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
Cabela's sells some prep tables that are 37" ft high. I have been eyeballing them online, but have no firsthand experience with them.
I saw them set up the other day in Cabela's and they look like they would do the trick. Easy clean up and sanitary.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Delux...h-All+Products

Old 08-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Or this.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:56 AM   #12
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Yep. A lot of people do this...

CD
Ya ever have one of those moments where you think, "gee, why didn't I think to do that?"
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #13
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

My table's bottom brace is horizontal. But luckily has adjustable legs

Got it at Target or Sams year ago. Goes up to counter height, which is a little short for me, but better than nothing

Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

These work well. I use one at home. They sell them at Sam's.

We use a metal table at the tailgate.

luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote