MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
gayler
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Rescuing cast iron skillets

Hi all! I have a few cast iron skillets that belonged to my Grandme. These have not been used for many years. Do I just wash them and use them or do I have to "reseason them" some way? I wanted to try making a cobbler of some kind on the pellet grill. Thanks!
gayler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Are they rusted at all?
smokeisgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I never wash mine. Take coarse salt and rub them down to remove any bits of rust or remnants and rinse under cold water NO soap. Wipe with some lard or crisco and heat those babies up. Wipe down again with paper towles, and get to cookin!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
gayler
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I don't think so. If they do it's light rust.
gayler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayler View Post
I don't think so. If they do it's light rust.
They are dying for you to cook in them. The more cooking they do the merrier they are!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Then like they said, I would knock any rust off with steel wool...wash in hot water with no soap....then I'd coat it with oil and heat it up to 450 or 500, then let cool.....

Old 03-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

don't forget about the cornbread....nothing makes cornbread better than a cast iron skillet....I have one dedicated to just that..nothing else gets cooked in it...

Old 03-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
don't forget about the cornbread....nothing makes cornbread better than a cast iron skillet....I have one dedicated to just that..nothing else gets cooked in it...
I have a dedicated skillet, too. Nothing but cornbread. Comes out fantastic!

Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yep, I have a dedicated cornbread CI pan, too.

If you have a gas grill, that's the ideal thing to re-season them on. If they haven't been used in a long time, it's probably a good idea.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #10
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

I just read an article about the science of seasoning cast iron based on another thread here.

The article suggests flaxseed oil at high temperatures 500* for one hour, then allowing the pan to cool for two hours as the oven cools down. Then repeat multiple times.

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/20...ing-cast-iron/
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
4ever3
somebody shut me the fark up.

What Hometruckin said! They are begging to be used, once you figure out a cast iron skillet you'll never use that nasty non stick stuff again

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Then like they said, I would knock any rust off with steel wool...wash in hot water with no soap....then I'd coat it with oil and heat it up to 450 or 500, then let cool.....
That is basically cleaning and re-seasoning.

If you have any rust at all, you need to get rid of it. If it is minimal, smokeisgood's method could do the trick. You may even be able to do a hot water and ScotchBright cleaning, and cook up half a pound bacon. For heavier rust, you'll need a more aggressive cleaning, and a proper re-seasoning.

Pr0n would help us evaluate your situation.

CD

Last edited by caseydog; 03-22-2013 at 06:55 PM..
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I had my wife's grandmothers cast. They had caked on layers of carbon and it was flaking off.

I got a 5 gallon bucket filled 4/5's with water and put in a can of Lye I got from Ace Hardware. I put in the skillets one at a time. It ate off all the crap. Wearing gloves and eye protection through all my encounters with the Lye water. The Lye will eat up most of the carbon and get you back to the metal. Then you can reseason and use like they were new.

You can use the Lye solution several times. Just make sure you add the Lye to water and not water to Lye.

You can pm me if you want. I have a stubborn skillet in lye water for over a month now....
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Budman1
is one Smokin' Farker

I've done a few, steel wool them, sand blast them, sandpaper them, whichever you prefer, wash them in hot water, soap if you like, then rinse them in hot water, dry them throughly, rub them down with crisco, put them on your preheated gasser, about 300-350, for about 3-4 hours or longer, and presto, you will never cook with another store bought "coated" pan again. cast iron is the bomb. We have about a dozen- pans, griddles, dutch ovens, that we regularly use, and we love them. trust me, do them on your gasser and not in your house oven.

Bob
Semper Fi
Budman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

I have rescued some in the past that were pretty rusty i sandblasted those and reseasoned using flaxseed oil if theres only a small amount of rust i have used vinagar and salt mix which works pretty good or u could do what others have mentioned sounds like they would all work pretty well. As for reseasoning theres a lot of things that work but i highly recommend flaxseed oil it gives a very hard durable nonstick coating