Injecting a turkey and brineing??

B

BIGBrandon2785

Should I inject it with creol butter before I brine it or after??

since brining adds moisture, why couldnt you just inject instead of brining to keep it moist inside?

Injecting simply puts pockets of stuff down into the meat, while brining actually embeds water molecules into the individual protein strands of the meat. That's a big difference. With injecting, a lot of the stuff you inject can be squeezed out of the meat as it cooks as the proteins coil up. With brining, the proteins already started to coil up around the water molecules before you even started cooking, and as the proteins coil tighter and tighter they are basically just further trapping the water keeping it from getting out. So one actually gets more moisture into the actual meat fibers themselves (brining), while the other (injecting) simply puts moisture in the area of the meat.

Injecting simply puts pockets of stuff down into the meat, while brining actually embeds water molecules into the individual protein strands of the meat. That's a big difference. With injecting, a lot of the stuff you inject can be squeezed out of the meat as it cooks as the proteins coil up. With brining, the proteins already started to coil up around the water molecules before you even started cooking, and as the proteins coil tighter and tighter they are basically just further trapping the water keeping it from getting out. So one actually gets more moisture into the actual meat fibers themselves (brining), while the other (injecting) simply puts moisture in the area of the meat.

Now that is some good info..I usually either brine OR inject...never thought I needed to do both, but that makes sense. Thanks!

How about injecting some of the same liquid you will be brining with? I have done that often with breasts and pork loins. Things like storebought corned beef are also injected and brined with the same liquid.

A longtime favorite recipe I like comes from Shake by way of Old Dave and it calls for an injectable honey brine, followed by a marinade in Italian dressing. I will most likely use this one this year for a fresh turkey breast.

How about injecting some of the same liquid you will be brining with? I have done that often with breasts and pork loins. Things like storebought corned beef are also injected and brined with the same liquid.

A longtime favorite recipe I like comes from Shake by way of Old Dave and it calls for an injectable honey brine, followed by a marinade in Italian dressing. I will most likely use this one this year for a fresh turkey breast.

That does sound good!

Thanks for all the info folks.Im pretty confident now after going to the Bass Pro and getting cherry wood,lump coal and Yardbird rub.

Im gonna brine it in a brine I found (salt,brown sugar,vegetable stock,chicken stock,peppercorns,ginger,water),then inject with creol butter,then rub with yardbird and smoke with cherry wood.

Thanks for all the help folks I will keep informed on how it goes:-D

Do you use creole butter injection regularly? I ruined a bird one year. I did a trial run with fried turkey (without creole injection), and it was great. I thought injection with creole butter would make it more better. The taste was "foreign" IMO. I have acquired many new tastes over the years through bbq, but if your family has traditions, don't go overboard. My mom gets a "pecan smoked" turkey every year and, even if hammy, it is moist and tender like a good brine should do.

Like someone said here once about cilanto... love it or hate it and little in-between. I have put creole butter injection in that category. It is sold everywhere so someone besides me must be buying it. I'm just sayin'... when it doubt, keep it simple... properly cooked is the best thing. . . (period) Just don't overcook.

Do you use creole butter injection regularly? I ruined a bird one year. I did a trial run with fried turkey (without creole injection), and it was great. I thought injection with creole butter would make it more better. The taste was "foreign" IMO. I have acquired many new tastes over the years through bbq, but if your family has traditions, don't go overboard. My mom gets a "pecan smoked" turkey every year and, even if hammy, it is moist and tender like a good brine should do.

Like someone said here once about cilanto... love it or hate it and little in-between. I have put creole butter injection in that category. It is sold everywhere so someone besides me must be buying it. I'm just sayin'... when it doubt, keep it simple... properly cooked is the best thing. . . (period) Just don't overcook.
Yeah we use it every year

Are you buying an injection?

If you make one, be careful when using melted butter and/or margarine. That stuff will solidify and clog your syringe when it hits the cold meat. Use oil or water (or buy a kit)

Are you buying an injection?

If you make one, be careful when using melted butter and/or margarine. That stuff will solidify and clog your syringe when it hits the cold meat. Use oil or water (or buy a kit)
Yes,ive already bought it.We use the same one every year.

jar-creole-butter-winjector.jpg

Back