MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #1
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.
Default Kiln dried firewood

Excuse my ignorance, but is kiln dried firewood good for my offset? Is there a difference between kiln dried and seasoned? I only ask because I’m trying to order some in preparation for my offset. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Kiln dried wood looses a lot of it's natural moisture, and won't be as flavorful as properly aged smoking wood. Many producers that package their chunks in plastic bags have to dry the wood or else it can mold in the bag.

HERE is some great information about smoking wood, I buy mine from these guys, but there are many other companies that have the same philosophy.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Kiln dried wood looses a lot of it's natural moisture, and won't be as flavorful as properly aged smoking wood. Many producers that package their chunks in plastic bags have to dry the wood or else it can mold in the bag.

HERE is some great information about smoking wood, I buy mine from these guys, but there are many other companies that have the same philosophy.

Thank you. I was just about to place an order for kiln dried wood. I won’t now. Greatly appreciated!

Old 01-15-2020, 02:05 PM   #4
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

I learnt something new today from this post.
Thanks

Old 01-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

I just spoke from Bert at Fruita wood. He does not recommend using his wood only, but rather a combination of his and kiln dried. He says that his doesn’t have enough BTU’s to maintain a pit temp of 250.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:39 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I just spoke from Bert at Fruita wood. He does not recommend using his wood only, but rather a combination of his and kiln dried. He says that his doesn’t have enough BTU’s to maintain a pit temp of 250.

Well, Bert is the man. Now that's interesting about the BTU's. I only buy their wood as flavor wood in my charcoal smokers. It's good you gave them a call. Did you pick-up on the extra weight they will add to the box if you ship to a business address? Our last group order was 60 pounds, and I thought they put in an extra 9 pounds.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Well, Bert is the man. Now that's interesting about the BTU's. I only buy their wood as flavor wood in my charcoal smokers. It's good you gave them a call. Did you pick-up on the extra weight they will add to the box if you ship to a business address? Our last group order was 60 pounds, and I thought they put in an extra 9 pounds.

I’ve been buying my chunks from him for a few years. I discussed buying 500 pounds at a time for maximum savings.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #8
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

Honestly, i dont think it really matters. Dry is dry. The kilm dried may have less moisture since it's been put in a controlled environment but the same process will happen with wood left outside, only slower. That website seems to sound like a sales pitch instead of facts, the flavor comes from the moisture?? I've been burning stick burners for 20 years and have heated my house only with wood exclusively for the past 10 years so i may know a thing or two when it comes to fire management. Just this past week i cut, split and stacked 2.5 cords of wood which will season for 2 years before use.
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Recent thread on the subject. My experience is that “overly dry” wood still works you just have to feed it more often to maintain a coal bed. It’s probably easier to run a super clean fire and thus potentially a flavor difference.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...highlight=Kiln

Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

Kiln dried doesn't mean much in and of itself. It's not being heated to high temperatures. You can kiln dry wood in a box painted black sitting in the sun. Dehydrated is a better term, and how dry it is varies by brand and batch. I've had some kiln dried lumber that wasn't dry enough to burn clean. Much of the kiln dried wood you get simply sat in a "hot" warehouse to dry out in a matter of weeks rather than months.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #11
Kmm
On the road to being a farker

Ditto what JW posted. Kiln implies the moisture has been driven from the wood by supplemental heat. Leave a kiln dried piece of wood set outside long enough and it will pick up moisture and be exactly the same as a piece “seasoned” without additional heat.
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 11:18 AM   #12
kenrobin

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Hey guys.... I just posted a YouTube video today about store bought wood. I tried a bag of B&B's apple wood which is kiln dried. I have no idea whether kiln dried is good or not but my experience was pretty good. It produced a nice clean smoke throughout my cook.

Here's a link to the video if you want to check it out.

https://youtu.be/u1ijXg3yFT4
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 12:11 PM   #13
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobin View Post
Hey guys.... I just posted a YouTube video today about store bought wood. I tried a bag of B&B's apple wood which is kiln dried. I have no idea whether kiln dried is good or not but my experience was pretty good. It produced a nice clean smoke throughout my cook.

Here's a link to the video if you want to check it out.

https://youtu.be/u1ijXg3yFT4

I’m already a subscriber to your channel, so when I received the notification that the video was up, I was like “perfect timing.”

Old 01-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #14
kenrobin

Name/Nickname : Backyard Smokemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I’m already a subscriber to your channel, so when I received the notification that the video was up, I was like “perfect timing.”

Awesome! Thank you for subscribing!
kenrobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I don't really use kiln dried wood but well-seasoned wood. I do have some kiln dried though and I find it VERY useful for those times where I got distracted and I'm about to loose my coal bed/fire. I split a log or 2 of the kiln dried in to small to medium sized splits and they pretty much get the tiniest fire going again.