MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:07 AM   #1
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Default Roadside sales????

I was just wondering how many of y'all do roadside sale ( if any), and what your history/experience with them has been? Has it been profitable? on average, how may persons did/do you serve (broken down by day of week, ie. Mon/Tue/Wed...etc.)? Are these sales from a true "roadside lot" or from a store parking lot?... more questions to come, but I will just start w/ these.
I ask these cause Im tryin to put together a proforma package for my business plan, and am doing the research.
If you are in business, and dont count me as cometition in south Louisiana, would you be willing to share your proformas, and P&L statements with me ( I hope that is not asking too much). You can send them to my email in my profile if you wish.
JR
jbrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

May I ask why you are doing a business plan to sell roadside BBQ?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Bubba- So I can present it for funding...
Old 02-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Also, the roadside stand is just a catalist and money maker for a brick and mortar, possibly more. The RS will also help to popularize my "brand" to help drive trafic to a brick/mortar
Old 02-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Scott_nra
Knows what a fatty is.

I get it. Around here some of the Lowes home centers have a Dominics sub trailer out front. The smell off grilling peppers and onions is very attractive.

I know this, when it first started there were lines at those things all the time. After a while, the novelty kinda wore off and I don't think they do near as well as they used too. They seem to do better on weekends and now days I'm used to seeing one or two folks there at any given time and about 6-12 on weekends at any given time.

I only offer this because I am one of those nuts that seems to be in a home center at least once a week or so and notice such things. Just thought I'd toss it out to you for consideration.
Scott_nra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ? Why would someone want to invest in something you haven't used your own money in to, start and become a business, I have been in business for 25 yrs bin broke at least 4 or 5 times but still will not give up the farm not to have to work for anybody Let alone have to convince someone to buy a share of my dream, P.S. thru these hard times I'm broke again
Old 02-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK Allen View Post
So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ? Why would someone want to invest in something you haven't used your own money in to, start and become a business, I have been in business for 25 yrs bin broke at least 4 or 5 times but still will not give up the farm not to have to work for anybody Let alone have to convince someone to buy a share of my dream, P.S. thru these hard times I'm broke again

That was going to be my reply post.

There aint a bank in the world that will fund a roadside stand, thus i was wondering why waste the time doing a plan.
I started with my own money and invested in myself and did fine. Had i kept at it, i could have gotten a loan on the business i had built.

IMPOSSIBLE to project numbers on that. To many factors.
Meat prices, weather, location, what if nobody likes your food?
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
RICK Allen
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh or mean , If you want to do this your pretty much on your , own me I would say go for it if thats what you want, the hardest thing is for you to do is convince yourself, and once that hurdle is overcome then it is just 12 hr. 7 day a week life style and, eating leftovers , Trust me it's great, oh yea, theres no retirement plan lol
Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Thanks to both of you for your opinions. Ya see, I live paycheck to paycheck and w/ that in mind... have no extra "fluid" income to invest in the 100% option you are thinking of. I have my 20% saved or available to me, just not 100%. I do have a couple of micro-loans lined up that will get me to my starting point (along w/ my presonal sources).
You see, the 2 micro-lenders are asking for the business plan/projected proformas. I do thank you for your concern though. I do understand the hrs involved as well as my family. I have been in FS for over 19 years, I know the life, I know the struggles.

The point of my post is not whether anyone agrees to my need of a business/financial/marketing plan for a RSS, but rather to those who ARE doing it, if they would be willing to share with me, the numbers (on average) of how many RSS walk up sales they experience per day of the week, so I can do what I have to do to appease these investors. Thats all Im looking for.
As for the Lowes, I can understand why the #s have decreased... they had to raise their prices on their items to accomodate the fees charged by the company who contracts them to set up at Lowes... as well as the economy helping to make matters worse.
So with all that in mind, please accept my appologies if I may have seemed rude in my response.
JR
Old 02-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICK Allen View Post
So you can present it for funding ? that says you have no sales ?
Absolutely right... I have no sales... I am not in business yet, thus my original question/post.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

If you're going to be using an approved mobile kitchen/catering trailer I'd be glad to help out with that. Shoot me over the specs if you'd like and we can get you a quote for your business plan.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #12
jbrodgers
Got Wood.

Thank you Mr Stephens, but my trailer plans and construction are already lined up.

I am more looking for numbers of average foot trafic that operators have experience at their sites (excluding fairs/events).

But thanks for the offer anyway.

JR
Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #13
getyourrubonbbq
Take a breath!

Good luck with it JR, I hope it's successful for you.
[URL="http://www.extremebbqtrailers.com"]www.extremebbqtrailers.com[/URL]
getyourrubonbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

I started with my home smoker at a friends convenience store and worked under his HD permit. Paid cash for upgrades as I went. 5 years later I have a nice shop and good business. Did I mention cash? I have NO debt, but went SLOW.......as far as traffic goes, we still roadside it 26 days a year between caterings. We cook 10 butts, 14 brisket, 12 slabs, 40 pork steaks, 12 chickens, brats, hot dogs and sides. We sell out.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #15
Mad About Que
On the road to being a farker

i know a few of the guys around here that do that. the one that seems most "successful" is there in the same place, rain or shine every week from 10 til 3, 3 days a week. says he lives well on that. he might also be a billionaire thats bored. we set up a few times on a buddys shed lot about 1/2 mile from a flea market. did well there. until the health department stopped by during the week to ask about the bbq deal on the weekends.. we stopped. we were making about 300 after costs on a saturday. pretty good for 6 hours or so. $4 sammies, $6 plates.. sauce and bulk for sale etc.. hauled the smoker, pop up and a coulple tables. the plan was to turn on of the buildings into a "resturaunt" sorta. knew at some point the HD was gonna cause issues. it was prolly some taco vendor at the flea market that ratted us out.. good luck..!!