MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #11641
cowboykilroy
Found some matches.

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#...22?type=search. I am nt sure if this is the grill you mean. I did not see one that looked like a nfl helmet but this is the one I used for my uds I had to massage the rim of the lid to fit my drum. I also used the hinges and the lid latch and the grate and wheels. I am very happy with it. Hope this helps.
cowboykilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #11642
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitmar View Post
Can anyone tell me if the Wally World 22 inch baackyard bbq grill dome or body fit some of the drums. Spec shows width 26 inches and as 23 inches. This is the grill that has a dome shaped like the top of nfl football helmet. (Currently out of stock)
I know the BBQ PRO grills Home Depot sells have lids that interchange with Weber fit wise and cost around $40

Last edited by Wahoo95; 12-28-2013 at 05:19 PM..
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #11643
knitmar
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Yes! That's the grill. What kind of Massage did you have to do?
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #11644
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

O.K., just because I could. I decided to try directing the inlet air to under the coal basket to see if it makes any difference ( experiment) as some believe some of the inlet air bypasses the coal basket and cools the drum off. Also I wanted to be able to clean the ashes out easily so I wanted to be able to lift the coal basket and the inlet air channel in one full swoop. I added a second 1 1/2 pipe inlet next to one of my inlets so I could also check running at 700+ degrees with this set up. The inlets are directed to the edge of the coal basket ( decided not to go under the coal basket for this test). Bought some thin sheet metal at HD, used tin snips to rough trim to shape. Tack welded to the coal basket for easy removal. So over the next few months I will be seeing if this is a worthy add on or not. Or if it makes any difference at all.

Next Mod is adding a Weber lid knock off for added room.
So far today I ran at 250 for 5 hrs smoking veggies, garlic and smoking some tube steaks, tomorrow I'll see how much coal I used. Updates to follow.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #11645
RT
Full Fledged Farker

I like the inlet concept ebijack, keep us updated on how it works out.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #11646
cowboykilroy
Found some matches.

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitmar View Post
Yes! That's the grill. What kind of Massage did you have to do?
I used a closed top drum that I cut the top out of, so if you are using an open top it may be different. What I found was the lid set on top of the drum rim so I set the lid flat on the garage floor and flattened out the lip then set it back on the drum centered it up and started working the edge back down with a small hammer. There was enough lip when finished that along with using the lid latch that came with it I get a great seal. I couldn't be happier. Hope this helps. Keep the questions coming.
cowboykilroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #11647
shovelrobert

Default lid fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
I know the BBQ PRO grills Home Depot sells have lids that interchange with Weber fit wise and cost around $40
I found the Pro lids to be a little smaller than the weber and wouldn't fit the barrels I have, but a newer weber will. The antique webers (1970s) have the rim turned in and have to be modifier to fit my drums, all drums are different.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #11648
knitmar

Thanks to those responding and thanks to all who have made this thread amazing.
knitmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #11649
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

I used a lid from a WalMart knock off. Added a strip of alum inside the drum (open top) and riveted it to the drum. Sealed it with black silicone and away we go. Good tight fit an I feel it works better than the orig flat lid. JMO.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM   #11650
Jah62370
Found some matches.

Peddler...I did the same modification to my drum but I used a strip of stainless steel. It wasn't as easy to work with but it certainly does the job and will out last the drum I'm sure.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #11651
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom
Default Heavy pR0n

O.K. with it being 10 to 12 degrees out, 10 to 20 MPH winds, single digit temps and snowin. I tested my latest mods to my UDS. Directed intake, dome lid, trying to hit 700+ degrees to do alfredo pizza's. 10 minutes in I was about 600 at the dome, I reinstalled the 2 stand pipes which brought the temp down to 550 ish stable. Removed the stand pipes, temp was just over 600 degrees when I removed the lid to put the first pizza on. I had a deflector plate 18 inch above the coal basket. Once I removed the lid the temp dropped to 450 and came back up to 550ish. Cooked 2 pizza's ( first one went by by before I got the second one done and could get a photo).

With warmer temps, I should be able to maintain over 650 I hope with these mods. The extra hole in the lid ( required for high temp cooking) is 3 3/8 with a coffee can stack I set on top to keep the wind from blowing down into the smoker.
Using my original flat lid with a 4 inch hole I could hit 800 degrees in the summer.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 AM   #11652
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

I have a burn out question. I recently finished my drum. I got it from uline new with no liner. I hit the inside with the weedburner and think I burned off anything that was there. Do I still need to wash it out with soap and water or am good to go. Thanks

Old 01-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #11653
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
I have a burn out question. I recently finished my drum. I got it from uline new with no liner. I hit the inside with the weedburner and think I burned off anything that was there. Do I still need to wash it out with soap and water or am good to go. Thanks
You're fine. Get it seasoned! I used a uline barrel and found out once that rust inhibitor is gone, it won't take long to start rusting

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #11654
Wahoo95

My UDS is almost complete. All that's left is I need to spray the drum with some navy blue paint, however the weather hasn't been cooperating the last few weeks as its been too rainy or cold for painting. I decided to go ahead and hit it with some high heat primer to and go ahead and take it for a test burn. I must say I am thoroughly impressed with this thing! Initially my temps shot up to almost 400 degrees while I was getting things sorted out and I had a hard time getting them to simmer down, however eventually it came down and settled in at 250deg after about an hour. Amazingly it held between 240-260 degrees for the next 13 hours! I only shut it down because I woke up to rainfall but it still had plenty of coal left to burn.

Thanks to all who've contributed so much info to this thread as I'm looking forward to many good cooks out of this new UDS!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #11655
Wahoo95

What are you guys using to secure your side mounted thermometers.....to keep them snug and steady in the drum? I have a cork on mine but it loosens and allows the thermometer to move

Also looking for ideas on how to route my temp cords into the smoker without going through the exhaust ports or under the lid? I was thinking about cutting a couple of small notches in the rim of the drum so that the cords can recess down in there while still allowing the lid to seal.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker