• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Am I the only Idiot around that actually likes.....

BBQPitt

Reaction score
all night brisket cooks? I always have a built in excuse that I can't do any clean up, since I obviously need a nap.

Haha, I haven't done a brisket overnight yet. I have put a pork butt on the UDS at 10:00pm once and went to bed. Let the Maverick Alarm wake me up when the IT hit 190. Love the UDS set it and forget it method.

I like to cook overnight too when it's possible. My biggest problem is that I'm usually cooking for a dinner meal in the realm of 6pm. I don't like to finish the meat up too early. I had a 7.5 pound brisket flat today and I waited until 7am to put it on and it came off at 3:15 which was just about perfect timing...

I've done the all night smoke house deals but getting too old for that. I prefewr the early morning start.
Many time it is a throw the last wood in, lock the door and go to bed. Meat surprise in the morning!

I love being outside stickburning all night at a comp or at home. I love the peace and the fun of tending a fire all night/morning/afternoon long.

I also love all night cooks in the Yoder pellet pit and just letting it do its thing while I sleep. It just depends on my mood that day.

If it's a choice between a 9-12 hour cook during the night, or 9-12 hours in bed with Mrs SJ, Mrs SJ wins......

It helps that my UDS will hold temp for that long....:) Everybody is happy then.

Ahh the beauty of the DigiQ. I used to fret all-night cooks. I could "sleep" -- but it wasn't a good sleep since I'd have anxiety about the expensive cut of meat on the smoker I'm likely to ruin, and the dozens of people coming over tomorrow who will be only marginally impressed at my 'Q abilities.

Now, I can dial in my pit temp, set my desired food temp -- and go to bed at a reasonable time. Let the tinkering happen when I wake up. Makes for a MUCH more enjoyable BBQ experience, albeit at an expense.

-Bastid

Your a dieing breed, staying up all night and being to pooped to pop the next 3 days is why I cook H&F. Fire the pit at 7 brisket on before 8 done by 2. sleep like a Baby all night long Priceless.

I have a brisket on the pit now that has been cooking since midnight last night. This is my first all night non-comp brisket cook. Since I now have my Stoker dialed in, I set the temp at 225 and went to bed. So far so good.

all night brisket cooks? I always have a built in excuse that I can't do any clean up, since I obviously need a nap.
I suppose according to Bludawg we're a dieing breed... That said, I'll still catch a cat-nap before getting up around midnight for the cook. I cook hotter and faster than some, but not so's you'd say pure hot-n-fast; briskets (and shoulders) off around 11am; lunch served at 12:30pm rain or shine.

I suppose according to Bludawg we're a dieing breed... That said, I'll still catch a cat-nap before getting up around midnight for the cook. I cook hotter and faster than some, but not so's you'd say pure hot-n-fast; briskets (and shoulders) off around 11am; lunch served at 12:30pm rain or shine.
I think with the advent of pellet cookers, draft controllers and certain cookers that require minimal attention (Kamados, UDS, WSM, etc) that people have more options so they don't always know of the joys of tending a fire. I love stickburning more than any other method of cooking I can do, but the others are nice when I need the sleep and tending a fire is not an option. But when given my choice, I'm doing what you do; catch a quick nap that evening, then tending the stickburner all night. I love that experience and food quality more than any other cooking experience.

I'm a "wake up at the butt crack of dawn" kind of guy myself.

Mrs. Pitt is a mean woman. I get bonus points for NOT coming to bed. At this point, I don't even think she likes brisket. I think she just likes me being out of the house.

I do tend to burn a couple of nicer sticks when I pull an all nighter. Something about lighting up a stogie at 3am and everything just seems right with the world.

I enjoy the long cooks on my stick burner but am more of a get up at 4am-ish kind-of guy to do a brisket dinner that evening rather than stay up all night to do lunch.

I've been a convert to H&F for almost a year and really don't miss most all nighters, especially when I'm the only one tending the cook. I think an exception for me will be those occasions in the fall-winter when the evenings are cool and a bunch of folks hang out, socialize, share the cooking duties and the nap times.
Your a dieing breed, staying up all night and being to pooped to pop the next 3 days is why I cook H&F. Fire the pit at 7 brisket on before 8 done by 2. sleep like a Baby all night long Priceless.

Nope, I don't miss the all night cook. I'm in love with all the temp control devices out there. I have a beer-to-bbq ratio that makes me an idiot pass about 3am. Load up the BGE at 2am, turn on the temp fan, go to bed, wake up and there is good Q? Heck yes! Pulled pork....it's what's for breakfast.

Back