MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
TheMidnightSmoker
On the road to being a farker

Default Do you drag your smoker to your Commercial Kitchen?

I am just starting my “Official” catering business and I need to know how you caterers do it. Specifically, how do you do your pick- up or drop-off catering? My local health Department requires that I use a Commercial Kitchen/Commissary. I am sure yours probably does to and I am guessing most of you do not own one but rent space in one. So when you are cooking Que for a customer to pick-up do you actually drag your smoker to the Commercial Kitchen or are you only doing the prep work there and smoking the meat somewhere else?

Old 03-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

The short answer is yes - I park the smoker next to the kitchen. Of course, HD rules vary a great deal from state to state so your results may vary. In this case, most inspectors will look for the cooker to be very close to the prep area.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Check with your HD. Maybe the case you can't carry product outside/inside to the smoker without it being screened and covered.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Worth Smokin' BBQ[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=darkgreen]26' KZ Toyhauler w/McPike 150 STOKER powered[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Red Therma-Pen[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq"][COLOR=#800080]www.facebook.com/worthsmokinbbq[/COLOR][/URL]
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #4
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I think most folks, if they were truthful, bring their smoker to the commercial kitchen with a wink and a nod. You deliver the food and IF there is a problem, of course you cooked it there. Let them prove you wrong. I dont think this is the answer you are looking for but in reality, an honest one.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #5
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

In Kansas, we have the option of using an RV, or in my case, a travel trailer as our commercial
kitchen. Also, they will give an exemption in Kansas for the 3-bay sink requirement as long as you have a bus tub set up in place of the third bay of the sink when/if HD drops by for a visit.
That way, I cook at home by having the smoker right outside of my commercial kitchen.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here in North Texas, the comercial kitchen is also a requirement for grey water disposal for certified trailers.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

My trailer is my commercial kitchen........
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #8
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Need to check with DEH - CA code is either "cooked on site" at the customer's location, or cooked in the commercial kitchen - That is to say inside the location in an NSF approved unit. That applies to "pick up" customers. Cutting corners and bending the rules can affect your liability insurance and permits/licenses. Be careful!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
TheMidnightSmoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
Need to check with DEH - CA code is either "cooked on site" at the customer's location, or cooked in the commercial kitchen - That is to say inside the location in an NSF approved unit. That applies to "pick up" customers. Cutting corners and bending the rules can affect your liability insurance and permits/licenses. Be careful!
Thanks. Yes I want to obey the rules and certainly do not want to screw up my license and insurance. If I am required to cook "inside" the commercial kitchen then I wont have access to a smoker. Thats where my confusion comes in. I am assuming most commercial kitchens have ovens but doubt they have a smoker.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

In MI my trailer is a co0mmercial kitchen. Just sent in my renewal fee even though I live in FL now.

In FL I need a commissary to dump waste water and get fresh if the event does not supply facilities. Otherwise I'm going to be self contained. I'm starting to work with the county HD now on this.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Bama Q

Screened and covered. That is the problem, Check with HD to see what they will allow you to do, Most will tell you what they expect, Most HD inspector will offer suggestion to solve your problem. Go to a event in your area and see what, see what others are doing, Every area and inspector has different views.
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
In MI my trailer is a co0mmercial kitchen. Just sent in my renewal fee even though I live in FL now.

In FL I need a commissary to dump waste water and get fresh if the event does not supply facilities. Otherwise I'm going to be self contained. I'm starting to work with the county HD now on this.
I get by the commissary issue by dumping gray water at the city RV dump station, as well as filling from the city water supply. Only thing illegal would be to fill from my well. Of course I never do that......
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote