MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 AM   #1
LT72884
Babbling Farker

Default simple mac and cheese ingredient list

Just curious to the brethren (sisters included) if this sounds appealing. Ill list the first 4 ingredients of what i like and think would be a good mac and cheese dish. feel free to add a ingredient or 2 if you want. maybe we will come up with a great recipe

Cooked pasta
panko bread crumbs
bacon
velveta cheese

thanks

Old 03-31-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

It will definitely work, I for one am not a huge fan of velveta, it does melt great but I think it has an off taste.

The panko will add a great crunch on top, just make sure to toss them with melted butter first.

If you’re looking for fast and easy, try:

1 lb elbow macaroni
2 jars store bought Alfredo sauce
1 cp parmesan cheese
1 cp mozzarella cheese
1 cp cheddar cheese
panko bread crumbs
butter

Cook your noodles, warm the Alfredo and slowly mix in the other cheeses until melted, combine sauce and noodles, top with buttered panko and bake at 400 for 30+/- min.

This recipe is super simple, saves the time of making your own béchamel sauce, and has way more flavor and character than velveta.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
SmokeOCD
is one Smokin' Farker

a little nutmeg, a little cayenne
SmokeOCD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
smokindave70
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I like to use Parmesan, Cheddar, And Munster for the cheese.
I add little garlic powder little onion powder and little celery salt.
smokindave70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM   #5
starvinmarvin
On the road to being a farker

If you have a little time, make a bechamel sauce and add shredded cheese (cheddar/jack/jarlsburg, etc.). Takes it up five notches. Mario's bechamel: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
starvinmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #6
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Everybody has their favorite mac 'n cheese ingredients, these are mine.

Orecchiette (mini ear) pasta
Sharp cheddar and Muenster 50/50
Sour cream
Butter
Home made bacon bits
Garlic powder
White pepper
Topped with a crust of panko, melted butter, Parmesan cheese and a dash of paprika.

Baked in individual size French Onion Soup style crocks.

I think I'm going shopping!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
bover
is one Smokin' Farker

I would add in some fresh garlic and thyme. There's just something special about the flavor profile that comes out of those two in a bechamel.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Hoggy Style
Got Wood.

There is always Mac and Cheese around my house with two lil' boys, I eat it with a little hot salsa mixed in it (preferably Margaritas Salsa here in KC)
Hoggy Style is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #9
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
If you have a little time, make a bechamel sauce and add shredded cheese (cheddar/jack/jarlsburg, etc.). Takes it up five notches. Mario's bechamel: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
YES!!!!! Any version with a bechamel sauce is going to be way creamier than just plain cheese. I do a version with bacon and mushrooms from the diners drives and dives book. As long as you start with the sauce you can add any cheese you want although I pretty much go with cheddar parmesan and asiago. We all love mozzarella but I think you get a bolder flavor from the others mentioned.

Here's a basic recipe with the sauce all you would have to do is add the bacon and shave some of the salt out of the recipe to compensate.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/c...ipe/index.html
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

You lost me at velveta.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post

OH YEAH! I add some onion. Many time I will cook kielbasa on top of it.

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Grafixgibbs
is one Smokin' Farker

Missed this thread and started another about cooking it on a cooker. Getting that smokey flavor in the cheese. Not sure how it would work though

BBQ is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

KCBS Member
CBJ
55 gallon Texas Grill (deceased), CS-680 Louisiana Grill, Charbroil R2 unit, Weber Performer
Grafixgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

what's velveeta? seriously, that's not cheese and should never be bought! making a béchamel takes a few minutes, and adds serious flavor, and has none of the god knows what is in velveeta. I add a clove or 2 of fresh garlic to the butter, along with some shallots. than I melt down some extra sharp cheddar and either colby/jack or pepper jack cheese, top with some panko lightly browned with butter thats been melted with more fresh garlic, and bake, too good.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I started doing the bechamel sauce a few years back and have put my basic ratio of ingredients that makes it really simple as at first I was intimidated by the bechamel because I hate things with lots of ingredients. Except my rub of course :). But there really is only 3 key ingredients for the bechamel. 4 if you then count the cheese.

Though I always have boxed Kraft on hand in case I don't have what I need to make it by scratch. Still love me some Kraft.

My Bechamel Ratio for a 9x13 pan of Mac
-3TBS Butter
-3TBS Flour
-3 Cups Milk
-Cheese: this is where i make changes depending upon my crowd. Some people like more and some like less. I add at least .5lbs of cheese and mix it up all the time with the types of cheese I use.

Other recipes call for slightly different ratio's so what I have is simply what works for me and is easy to remember.

For the pasta I always have elbow on standby, but love using things like corkscrew pasta, small penne and my new favorite is Radiatori which I get at Walmart.

I also started using the cheddar fish crackers as a topping. I grind up some and spread on the top before I bake.
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #15
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by early mornin' smokin' View Post
what's velveeta? seriously, that's not cheese and should never be bought! making a béchamel takes a few minutes, and adds serious flavor, and has none of the god knows what is in velveeta. I add a clove or 2 of fresh garlic to the butter, along with some shallots. than I melt down some extra sharp cheddar and either colby/jack or pepper jack cheese, top with some panko lightly browned with butter thats been melted with more fresh garlic, and bake, too good.
http://www.squidoo.com/velveetainfo
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote