Help with Gravity Feed Suggestions

croman126

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Not sure if this post is in the right section (new on here).

Regardless, I currently have a Yoder YS480 Pellet Grill (for sale) and a Meadow Creek TS70P.

I'm selling the Yoder in order to buy a gravity feed smoker and am wanting some advice and/or suggestions. Right now I'm still considering:
- Southern Q Limo Jr
- T&K Medium GF
- Assassin 24
- Stumps XL Baby

Curious at which one everyone on here suggests or if there is another I need to consider. Or are there any above I should steer clear of?

Also, I was also looking into insulated vertical smokers. Should I also be considering those or should I stick with the GF?

I apologize in advance if there are already other threads about this, and appreciate everyone's help.

I've owned every type of cooker. The insulated cabinet is closer to my stick burner taste than any other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’ve had 3 cooks on my Limo Jr. so I can’t really say from vast experience with it, but so far I have really been impressed with it. It holds temp as well or better than anything I have used. It has decent airflow through it, and seems to impart good smoke flavor on the meats. Fully welded, and tank like.

For me, it was down to the Assassin and Limo Jr. I don’t know anything about the T&k but hear they are decent. The Stumps are excellent quality, but to expensive for my needs. If I was willing to spend that much, I think I would go with a Deep South anyway.

The Limo Jr. just checked all the boxes for me. Size wise it’s bigger than an Assassin 17 but not quite as big as the 24. Part of the reason I bought it was it’s size. I couldn’t fit much bigger in the spot I have, so that basically made my choice easy between the Limo and Assassin 24. Both are very nice. I like the fully welded aspect of the Limo and it’s quick clip in gaskets. I think the finish on the Assassin is slightly better, but not by much. Price wise, I think you get a lot for your coin.

Really you probably can’t go wrong with any of those on your list. I’d take a peak at Deep South as well.

Last edited:
I have an Assassin 24 that I picked up used a few years ago. I could not be happier with it and have really no complaints. It's big enough for large cooks, but uses little fuel so I have no problem doing just one butt if that's all I need. I have no knowledge of the other cookers.

You should look at the ironside slugger with pellet assist. You can cook with wood, charcoal, or pellets or any combination of the above. You get the best of all worlds!

You are on to the right list. You can add the Humphrey's GF to your list as well.

I looked into both GF and regular during my search and ended up with a used Humphrey's Pint that i could pick up local. shipping to Southern California for all of the manufacturers is really expensive.

Where are you located? Are there any manufacturers that are driving distance?

You are on to the right list. You can add the Humphrey's GF to your list as well.

I looked into both GF and regular during my search and ended up with a used Humphrey's Pint that i could pick up local. shipping to Southern California for all of the manufacturers is really expensive.

Yes Humphries does have a nice gravity feed unit and regular cabinet smoker. I always think of them with their cabinet smokers but their gravity feeds are very heavily built and look like good units.

I have a gravity feed smokers and do KCBS comps / catering.
I looked at everyone of those you have listed but in the end went with a Deep South I would highly recommend looking at them as well Randall is a super nice guy.

I’ve had 3 cooks on my Limo Jr. so I can’t really say from vast experience with it, but so far I have really been impressed with it. It holds temp as well or better than anything I have used. It has decent airflow through it, and seems to impart good smoke flavor on the meats. Fully welded, and tank like.

For me, it was down to the Assassin and Limo Jr. I don’t know anything about the T&k but hear they are decent. The Stumps are excellent quality, but to expensive for my needs. If I was willing to spend that much, I think I would go with a Deep South anyway.

The Limo Jr. just checked all the boxes for me. Size wise it’s bigger than an Assassin 17 but not quite as big as the 24. Part of the reason I bought it was it’s size. I couldn’t fit much bigger in the spot I have, so that basically made my choice easy between the Limo and Assassin 24. Both are very nice. I like the fully welded aspect of the Limo and it’s quick clip in gaskets. I think the finish on the Assassin is slightly better, but not by much. Price wise, I think you get a lot for your coin.

Really you probably can’t go wrong with any of those on your list. I’d take a peak at Deep South as well.

Agree with all of this. Same reasons I ordered a Limo Jr last week. Also, the wait time was only 4 weeks vs 10-12 on Assassin. I spoke to Jeff at Assassin a couple times and have no doubt that they'd be great to work with. I'm just impatient.

Here are my rough notes comparing the Assassin 17 and Southern Q Limo Jr. Seeing it in once place may help with your decision...it did mine.

Assassin 17 - $2865 no controller. Shipping est. $365. $3230 total.
Lead time - 10-12 weeks
50% down payment to start
14 ga steel inside, 18 ga steel exterior
Hold about 9-12 lbs of charcoal
Footprint - 34" L - 24" W - 58.5" H with chute on right side
3 rack runners 6” apart
3 Racks: 17” x 23"
Cover - Yes $100
SS Toggle Latches/D rings - $100
8x3" No Flat Casters - $150
Rain cap - $15

Southern Q Limo Jr - $2100 no controller. Shipping est. $ 565. $2865 total.
Lead time - 4 weeks
12 gauge steel inside and a 14 gauge exterior
Charcoal capacity 10lbs
Footprint - 30" x 26"
3 rack runners 7” apart
3 Racks 19" x 24"
Cover ? - no
Toggle latches/D rings - standard
Casters? Upgrade to pneumatic look like tires? $200 8in
Bottom shelf? - gone
Add stainless handle on left side - standard
Rain cap - standard

I bought a MMS G20 a couple years back. It is more expensive, but I went that route because it was being sold 3 miles away from me so what I would have paid in shipping for another one, I was able to invest in the cooker itself.

Anyway, it is a beast and works brilliantly. I am a little disappointed with the finish on the paint as it is flaking some and some rusty bits are showing. I've repaired some, will need to do more in the spring.

I paired it up with a Flame Boss 300 and it is rock solid. I use Kingsford blue or lump. I put wood chunks or mini-splits in for smoke. Won People's Choice trophy for ribs at a local comp this past September!

It is an investment, and if it wasn't for the paint, I'd 10000% recommend it. The flaking paint is a lil problem, but I'd say I'd still recommend it.

I've owned every type of cooker. The insulated cabinet is closer to my stick burner taste than any other.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Paul, what would your suggestions be for an IVS? Also, does the water pan get in the way or affect the cook, if I plan to cook without it? I saw 1 or 2 where you can take it out and just place a SS shield there instead.

For reference, I was checking out the:
- Humphrey's Qub'ed Pint
- LSG Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
- Backwoods G2 Fatboy or Party
- T&K Medium Reverse Flow Cabinet
- Spicewine Medium Cabinet
- 270 Smokers KC

Thanks again for your advice.

Do you have any experience with the Humphreys GF, or know anyone who does? I saw they make them and they look great, but there is very little out there on them. Even Humphreys instagram and facebook focus only on their regular cabinets. Cant find a video on the GF either.

And I live in VA. So to the best of my knowledge, the only company "close by" to me is Meadow Creek (about 2.5 hrs away) in PA. Other than that I would most likely need to ship.

Here are my rough notes comparing the Assassin 17 and Southern Q Limo Jr. Seeing it in once place may help with your decision...it did mine.

Assassin 17 - $2865 no controller. Shipping est. $365. $3230 total.
Lead time - 10-12 weeks
14 ga steel inside, 18 ga steel exterior
Hold about 9-12 lbs of charcoal
Footprint - 34" L - 24" W - 58.5" H with chute on right side
3 rack runners 6” apart
3 Racks: 17” x 23"
Cover - Yes $100
SS Toggle Latches/D rings - $100
8x3" No Flat Casters - $150
Rain cap - $15

Southern Q Limo Jr - $2100 no controller. Shipping est. $ 565. $2865 total.
Lead time - 4 weeks
12 gauge steel inside and a 14 gauge exterior
Charcoal capacity 10lbs
Footprint - 30" x 26"
3 rack runners 7” apart
3 Racks 19" x 24"
Cover ? - no
Toggle latches/D rings - standard
Casters? Upgrade to pneumatic look like tires? $200 8in
Bottom shelf? - gone
Add stainless handle on left side - standard
Rain cap - standard

Very helpful to see side by side. While price isnt my main deciding factor, it definitely plays a role.

How is the build (welds, paint, etc) on the Southern Q? I'm hoping to keep whatever GF/IVS i get for a long time so fit and finish is important for me.

I have a gravity feed smokers and do KCBS comps / catering.
I looked at everyone of those you have listed but in the end went with a Deep South I would highly recommend looking at them as well Randall is a super nice guy.

Maybe a weird/random question, but do you ever have issues with moisture in the charcoal chute? I know Assassin has the "raised" chute door that they claim helps avoid any moisture getting in from rain. Does that ever come into play or only if you were cooking in a storm with no cover?

You've done a nice job shortlisting your cookers. I don't think that you could go wrong with what you have listed. I have an Assassin 28. I love the thing and wished that I would have got it years ago. Now, the kids are older, and I feed fewer mouths. I still like to fire it up because it makes some great bbq.

Good luck, and if you have any questions regarding the assassin, I'll try to answer!

Very helpful to see side by side. While price isnt my main deciding factor, it definitely plays a role.

How is the build (welds, paint, etc) on the Southern Q? I'm hoping to keep whatever GF/IVS i get for a long time so fit and finish is important for me.

The welding on the Southern Q is good. No issues found on mine at all. Not as pretty a weld as say a Shirley, but they are functional and all painted anyway. The door, firebox and charcoal chute gaskets are the same type you see on Lonestar Grillz Vertical cabinets, so if you see one of Chris vids from Lonestar, you will see the same that Southern Q uses. The insulation thickness is a little less on a Southern Q than it is on the Assassin, but metal is thicker. So far, can’t seem to say that the thinner insulated cabinet on the Southern Q is a detriment as it holds temp extremely well in my limited use. At 250 degrees, you can place your hand and leave it there at just about any spot on the pit except right at the fire box section. At 300 degrees a few spots get a little warm (mostly the top of the cabinet), you can place your hand there and not worry about a burn, but you won’t want to leave it there very long. Paint is a good automotive paint, and you can get one of many different colors no charge. I’d say the Assassins overall look slightly more polished (I’ve spent a bit of time looking at Assassins in person so feel I can compare the Soutern Q to them the best), and the Southern Q looks a little more hand fabricated if you would look at them side by side...if that comparison makes sense...not sure what I like better as far as looks. The parts used on the Southern Q are all good quality items. Wheels are heavy duty, temp gauge is a nice Tel Tru, latch and already mentioned gaskets are very nice.

One thing though that I wish it had, (and maybe Scott could add this), is it doesn’t have the 45 degree angled extra piece of metal at the bottom of the chamber door that pushes the liquids on the door to fall back inside the chamber. You do get a little bit of liquid running out the bottom of of the chamber door. Not a whole lot, but enough that I wish it had this built in. I didn’t notice this before ordering, and wish I had at least known, so I could ask Scott if this angled piece of metal could be added. I’d still buy it without, but if it could be added I would have done it.

Overall, I like many of these gravity feed pits. In a perfect world I would have one of each.

Last edited:
The welding on the Southern Q is good. No issues found on mine at all. Not as pretty a weld as say a Shirley, but they are functional and all painted anyway. The door, firebox and charcoal chute gaskets are the same type you see on Lonestar Grillz Vertical cabinets, so if you see one of Chris vids from Lonestar, you will see the same that Southern Q uses. The insulation thickness is a little less on a Southern Q than it is on the Assassin, but metal is thicker. So far, can’t seem to say that the thinner insulated cabinet on the Southern Q is a detriment as it holds temp extremely well in my limited use. At 250 degrees, you can place your hand and leave it there at just about any spot on the pit except right at the fire box section. At 300 degrees a few spots get a little warm (mostly the top of the cabinet), you can place your hand there and not worry about a burn, but you won’t want to leave it there very long. Paint is a good automotive paint, and you can get one of many different colors no charge. I’d say the Assassins overall look slightly more polished (I’ve spent a bit of time looking at Assassins in person so feel I can compare the Soutern Q to them the best), and the Southern Q looks a little more hand fabricated if you would look at them side by side...if that comparison makes sense...not sure what I like better as far as looks. The parts used on the Southern Q are all good quality items. Wheels are heavy duty, temp gauge is a nice Tel Tru, latch and already mentioned gaskets are very nice.

One thing though that I wish it had, (and maybe Scott could add this), is it doesn’t have the 45 degree angled extra piece of metal at the bottom of the chamber door that pushes the liquids on the door to fall back inside the chamber. You do get a little bit of liquid running out the bottom of of the chamber door. Not a whole lot, but enough that I wish it had this built in. I didn’t notice this before ordering, and wish I had at least known, so I could ask Scott if this angled piece of metal could be added. I’d still buy it without, but if it could be added I would have done it.

Overall, I like many of these gravity feed pits. In a perfect world I would have one of each.

I asked Scott about adding that angled metal piece on the inside of the door. He told me he hadn’t any reports of liquid running down so I said don’t worry about it. I think I’ll ask again about adding it. Cant be much money.

Back