Room Temp

pjtexas1

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I hear everyone say "let it come up to temp and throw it on the cooker" when referring to big cuts of meat. I've never done this so I don't really know.

What does that mean to you? 1 hour and throw it on? Literally wait until it reaches 72° IT and then throw it on? Something else completely? And how long does it take a 15 pound brisket to go from fridge temp, 35-ish, to room temp? Yep... I'm bored again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm not a believer in the approach. I can understand why you'd want to do that with something that is lean and needs to cook as quickly as possible to stay moist. For a large cut like a brisket where you need time at the right temp to break down the connective tissue etc. anyway, I don't see the advantage. Not even sure I buy it for something like a thick steak where you want to get a great sear without overcooking the inside and the cooler starting temp would help with that.

Beyond the theory, two other reasons I don't follow the advice:
1) a lot of time when I'm cooking the larger pieces of meat I'm doing so on a pellet grill and starting the meat cold helps get a bit more smoke on it which is usually desirable
2) a lot of time when I'm cooking the larger pieces or meat I'm dong so on a pellet grill and that's because I'm somewhat lazy and the pellet grill is easy and therefore, planning ahead, particularly with what is likely an overnight cook, doesn't happen and it's easier to just throw the meat on cold.

I am with ya brother! Let a 22 lb roast come to room temp is gonna take a hellluoflatta mote time than an hour.A thin arse steak,maybe.

There is something to be said for room temp steaks and burgers. They seem to soak in the salt and or rub deeper. Briskets and ribs (larger cuts) go on cold as they absorb more smoke flavor while cold. Just my experience.

The only thing I let “come to room temp” is steaks because it’s my routine I’ve worked out.

Hour and a half minimum on the countertop, on to blaring hot Grill Grates, one minute per side...

Everything else goes on cold.

I leave things sit a bit. maybe an hour. really just trying to let the rub sweat some. plus leaving out can eliminate any cold spots and get the thermal momentum rolling in the right direction. I do feel it helps keep things more evenly cooked

For me, it's pretty much coming up in temp while the coals in the chimney get hot and then the smoker up to temp. The only thing I actually let come to room temperature is butter and cream cheese, as directed by the recipe that I am using.

I will plop a butt or brisket on the counter while I'm getting the smoker up to temp...but it'd never get anywhere close to room temp - I can't see how that would ever be a thing for a big hunk of meat. But you do hear it a lot on the Youtube videos. Ribs, steak or chicken might warm a few degrees while I'm getting set up but still not "room temp".

I hear everyone say "let it come up to temp and throw it on the cooker" when referring to big cuts of meat. I've never done this so I don't really know.

What does that mean to you? 1 hour and throw it on? Literally wait until it reaches 72° IT and then throw it on? Something else completely? And how long does it take a 15 pound brisket to go from fridge temp, 35-ish, to room temp? Yep... I'm bored again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey Paul, stick around us and we may make a cook out of you yet. :razz:

When at comps, I would inject and rub 6 hrs ahead of time, put meat on ice, and put it straight in the FEC. You hear this helps with the formation of the smoke ring and putting on extra smoke.

At home, I just rub right before putting on the smoker. I like to let it paste up just a little.

I can tell you that I can't tell one bit of differences between either way, but to each his own!

I don't mind letting my rub sweat for little bit while the pit comes up to temp, but being mindful of food safety and the fact that a smoke ring stops forming around 140°, I pretty much have cold meats going on a lower temp pit, then ramping the temp up over the first couple of hours.

Steaks and burgers I get it. But for any other BBQ type large hunks of meat, I want them as cold as possible when tossing on the cooker. This will encourage a better smoke ring (I know it doesn't do anything for flavor, but looks cool without cheating), and more smoke flavor. Every time I see someone stating they are letting their briskets and butts come to room temp before tossing on the pit, I roll my eyes.

I don't bring up to room temp, but I like to take the chill off. I pull the meat out right as I start to light the pit. That gives me an hour or so for the meat to rest as things come up to temp.

It's a waste of time on large cuts and wastes time imo, let it hit the heat and it will come to room temp a lot sooner than setting on the counter, it's a large heat sink anyway and the ambient air of your home aint cooking it any,

Back