MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2020, 09:18 PM   #31
Dirk41
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
I wonder if the top comp cooks use commercial rubs?

Also been wondering this. Especially since most sell them.
Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2020, 10:34 PM   #32
Dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
Sauces and rubs can be fun. I've bought some just to support brands before. I have several things from Killer Hogs, just because I loved a few of his recipes. It felt like a good way to support him. I need to do the same with Kosmos since their meatloaf recipe was 'knock me over' delicious. I send out Oakridge gift packs to anyone in my cigar group, if they get a new smoker. Many of them turn around and make additional orders of the stuff (how about a referral code, Mike? )

Salt and Pepper are great, I use them all the time. But that doesn't mean a rub isn't better. We cook a lot of steak for family and friends, and it's often ALDI meat (I actually like it a LOT better than the local grocery chains) and I typically use Oakridge Carne Crosta. She was on a 'womans weekend' with her sisters and friends, and they went to some uppity steakhouse. Several of them said they liked my steaks better. I'm not doing anything earth shattering with my cook-I just don't pretend that premade seasoning hasn't advanced in the past 30 years.

Both Kosmos and Malcom have SPGs and Texas Brisket seasoning. Any of these different than the others??

Old 07-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #33
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk41 View Post
Both Kosmos and Malcom have SPGs and Texas Brisket seasoning. Any of these different than the others??
The Kosmos SPG and Killer Hogs TX are more of a coarse grind. The Killer Hogs AP rub is pretty finely ground. TX rub is heavy on pepper and I like that. They are all good.

I will admit that I have entirely too many different rubs. I have made my own as well. It is just fun to try new stuff. I got a bunch of Albukirky rubs and have had a heckuva time messing with those. To each their own.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2020, 07:58 AM   #34
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk41 View Post
Never had Kosmos SPG (like the other rubs I've tried), but Killer Hogs AP seasoning smells and tastes great! Definitely a huge fan of it.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 08:48 AM   #35
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Never had Kosmos SPG (like the other rubs I've tried), but Killer Hogs AP seasoning smells and tastes great! Definitely a huge fan of it.

I agree, KH AP is excellent! One I reorder frequently. I have a shaker of TX too I haven't tried yet. If I can get a brisket for the weekend, I may just open it up.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #36
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Rub Trade Rounds

While home-made rubs are great, my opportunity to expand Flavors and tastes was improved by participating in the Rub Trades offered by NCGrimbo and IamMadMan.

I received rubs and sauces that I never would have tried or known even existed without having a Brethren share them with me! I hope to participate again because it is a great experience.
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 11:55 AM   #37
Skidkid
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : John

I have been thinking about this for a while. I made my own rub the other day and it came out great, I will definitely do that again and make variants. It isn't that hard to make a rub. Funny that most recipes contain chili powder. It is funny because chili powder is composed of the other ingredients in the recipes so it is like doubling up. The one thing that a high quality chili powder has that isn't there is powdered chilis like ancho, poblano, etc. I just ground some in my spice grinder and moved ahead with the chilis.

As I think about it, it is easy to try a bunch of flavor profiles by purchasing rubs. That could trigger ideas about what you want to do with your rubs.
Skidkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #38
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonVolt View Post
Not really trying to hate, and I apologize if that came across as overly confrontational. I just personally think commercial rubs are a trap that novices fall into that is self-limiting and prevents them from taking their food to the next level. They lend a bland sameness to BBQ in the same way that Dale's or McCormick seasonings lend to Steak. I'm not saying it's bad per se, but it has an amateur quality that you can spot a mile away. I know all this sounds a little too pinky in the air, especially for a BBQ forum, but I'd much rather hand someone a copy of APL's SeriousBBQ - that focuses on building flavors through technique and basting - than a bottle of Meat Church. I think we'd all be better off in the long run for it...
what makes you think the salt pepper and paprika you get is better than I company that specializes. I never understood the homemade rubs and sauces is better than store bought argument.......where do you think all your ingredients come from? umm it's the store

Old 07-02-2020, 01:01 PM   #39
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
what makes you think the salt pepper and paprika you get is better than I company that specializes.

Well, I didn't make that argument so I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss here.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #40
Curt.P
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Curt

Quote:
Well, I didn't make that argument so I'm not sure what you're wanting to discuss here.
Quote:
If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup.
I'm pretty sure he was referring to this.
Curt.P is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #41
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Quote:
If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything?
I'll just leave this here

Old 07-02-2020, 02:57 PM   #42
SonVolt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SonVolt

I'm just pissin' in the wind here.... no point in arguing, you guys like what you like.
SonVolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #43
Speeed
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Speed

Old 07-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #44
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm just pissin' in the wind here.... no point in arguing, you guys like what you like.
SonVolt, I don't disagree with the statements you've made about the brands you've mentioned (except Dizzy Pig). Shoot me your mailing address in a PM. I'll send you one of our VIP Sample Packs free of charge. It has a sample of every rub we make. I'd like to change your opinion and perhaps even rock your world...

Seriously. Send me your addy.

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle

Last edited by kcmike; 07-02-2020 at 06:21 PM..
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #45
Dirk41

Quote:
If you're seasoning your food at home with your own salt, pepper, paprika (etc) then you're already 2 steps ahead of these guys buying stale spices w/silly names @1000% markup. You think Aaron Franklin would be caught dead putting Dizzy Pig on, well, anything?

Dizzy Pig, yes. Some others, absolutely not.