Herbes de Provence roti-bird

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Today I let the rotisserie cook lunch while I worked. Chicken on a rotisserie is my favorite way to cook chicken, and a dijon mustard/herbes de provence slather brine is my favorite way to season roti-bird. And if rotisserie chicken seasoned with an herbes de provence slather is my favorite, then let's continue with the spatchock-in-a-basket method for maximum delicious surface area.

The mustard paste mix I use is:
* 1/4 cup dijon mustard (you can use horseradish dijon mustard if you want to kick up the heat a bit)
* 1 tablespoon kosher salt
* 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
* 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

I spatchcocked the bird, worked some of the slather under the skin on the breasts and thighs, slathered the underside, and then slathered on top of the skin. I let this one dry brine in the fridge for 3 days, longer than I planned, but it didn't hurt anything.

Into the basket and onto the grill

Dont mind me classin' the joint up by grilling in my front yard

Around and around it goes, self basting in its own goodness

About an hour and 10 minutes later, it's done

The flavor from the herbs and dijon mustard is very savory, so good. Great skin from the roti as usual, and the meat underneath was very tender

:thumb:

Last edited:
Yes.

This is good.

Very good, excellent, truth be told.

You have created a new convert in doing spatchcoocked birds in a roti basket. Mine is one the way, and I am looking forward to trying it. Can't wait!

I would very much like to return the favor; have you tried rubbing mayo on your birds?

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250207

:mrgreen:

Nice again, maybe a little prettier this time. Will happen here this weekend

Fantastic! I’m sold on this method. Going to put it into action when I get the basket. Hopefully Father’s Day

Just the whole bird uncut and trussed on the spit rod works well, but chickens are obviously not perfectly cylindrical so you get varying degrees of color and heat/cooking depending on how much closer or farther part of it is to the heat source...and then the inside of the chicken doesn't really get seasoned or exposed to the coals at all with the whole bird method, so you miss out on a good bit of flavor on the underside of the thigh and leg where it'd normally either be inside or pressed up against the bird. I also found that the basket really helps hold the skin in place, and because the surface is so flat, it all crisps uniformly.

The only drawback I see is capacity - I can get two whole birds trussed on the spit rod with the breast side pressed together, but the basket pretty much limits you to one. I havent seen a basket that is longer but not wider to accommodate two chickens in that style of trim.

Last edited:
Thats a great tool, you obviously know how to use it, that looks delicious.

I run them on both sides. I use a full charcoal chimney to run the rotisserie and it always seemed like too much to bank on only one side.

Got my basket today...doing one tomorrow. If mine comes out half as good as yours..I 'll be tickled.

Thanks!!

Back