How much to charge for curing hams

amv81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am not in the catering business, but I am curing and smoking 6 hams, 10-12# each, for a friend. I've got about $6 in ingredients for each ham. How much should I charge to cure and smoke the hams. I should mention it's a wet cure for 6 days. Thanks in advance.

If it were for a friend of mine, I'd just do it for free, and be done with it. If it's not a close friend I wouldn't touch it.

The probability of a poor cure or over-cure is almost nonexistent if you properly weigh and calculate your ingredients. The problem comes from issues that may arise once they leave your hands; Improper storage, temperature issues, sanitation at the final location..... Too many possibilities to name, but if you had benefited in any way when something goes wrong, you can bet you will be named as the bad guy or maybe even sued if someone gets ill from other issues beyond your control.

Your close enough to Amish country there, if he's not a good enough friend to have him over to make the cure mix and start the curing process, then send him down the road to an Amish butcher/store. Put any liability into his hands not in yours.

Thanks for the input. He is not a real close friend but is the guy who i buy the hogs from, I work with his dad and his wife works with my wife. Anyway I told him I am not going to charge him for the hams. If he wants some cured/smoked in the future I can do that but I am not responsible for the mis-handling/storage of the hams after they leave my house. Might have him sign something that states the above also. I am VERY careful/particular in my measurements as to not make anyone sick...anyway thanks again.

Funny you mentioned that. We talked and I am taking a smaller ham so I can see how I like the sweetness/saltiness for future batches.

Back