Which Cooker?

dmprantz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
With the current time of year, there is a certain lull, and I thought it might be nice to discuss something that isn't related to the KCBS BoD or TLC, so....I was driving in my car yesterday, and I had an interesting thought related to KCBS competitive BBQ: There are several teams that use a single cooker for all four categories in KCBS. There are also several teams who use multiple cookers depending on what you are cooking, and why not, right? Different meats may require different cooking space requirements, times, temps, and smokes, so it would be understandable to have as many as four different cookers.

If we go with a some-what minimalist approach though, and you could only have a single cooker at any comp, which cooker would you use? Note, I don't mean which type of cooker, so two seperate UDSes, BWS or FECs, etc don't count. If you could only have one fire going and you had to cook all four meats in the standard time frame, which one, single cooker would you use? Teams that currently only use one, feel free to share what that is.

As a bonus question, for the teams that currently use multiple cookers (and those who don't but want to) would you share why you use two cookers? Do you need the extra capacity, or is it one of the smoke/heat options I mentioned above, or some other great advantage? I'm just curious here and hoping to spark some new conversation.

Thanks,

dmp

I use my 24x72 Klose mobile for all four meats.

I used to have it tuned to cook evenly, but now I have the tuning plates set so 85% of the cooker cooks evenly, and I have 15% of the cooker running about 75 degrees hotter to cook chicken...

I use nothing but my Lang 60 to cook all the meats for a comp. We are able to keep her within 5-10* from end to end.

Of couse that's because.......

STICK BURNNERS RULE!!!!!

(You knew it had to be said some time... lol)

Only used Langs for years now using a Jambo for all 4.

I would guess trash cans if you only used one kind. We use the Spicewine for ribs, pork and brisket and the Weber kettle for chicken simply because we can get a good smoke rolling in there and can cook at high heat needed by chicken.

I use a 24x72 Horizon for all four meats with a deflector plate that I keep closed until I really need some heat at the firebox end then I can open it up and get about 75 degrees more heat at that end.

I use 2 Stumps, mostly for superstitious reasons. But I do like being able to use 2 different temps.

If I could only use one, it would be a Stump's Stretch:

Stretch1.jpg

If I had a choice and could only use 1 it would be an FEC500. Lots of capacity to position things, good temp control.

I use 2 FE100's at a contest usually. I can cook the contest on one and have when one had auger problems or when I needed the other 2 for vending. I like having 2 for temp variations between chicken and ribs. But I can use chicken temps for ribs if I have to although the hotter temp means a little time adjustment, especially when wrapped. Big cuts are off before the chicken goes on so no issues there.

Might I suggest a Tucker

pic001.jpg
0139.html
worbs2
Might I suggest a Tucker. This was at a comp... Just cooking enough but had plenty of room and versatile...

buildtucker-cooker-brown.jpg
50halfchickins.jpg
0809120012.jpg
0139.html

Last edited:
I use my Horizon 24" off-set. I do chicken on a WSM primarily because I have the door open a lot during the last couple hours of the comp (for things like burnt ends) and want the chicken to have a constant 300*. I could do that on the Horizon, but with the WSM it is just too easy.

Backwoods for the big three and Weber kettles for the bird. If I had to, they would all go on the BW.

I'm trying to work out a process to do an entire contest on one FEC-100. Comes down to timing with lower temp big meats and high temp ribs & chicken.

BWS for me. If I had room, I'd get a competitor. Maybe in the future, for now, could get it done on my party.

Now I use a BWS for 3 meats and the WSM for chicken. Always like to have a backup cooker and I can use different wood for chicken that way.

I found the The Medium Spicewine to be great for comps cooking all on one pit

Chicken could be cooked much hotter on the top rack getting the benefit of the radiant heat off the overhead metal that was only a few inches away from cooking grid.

Last edited:
BWS for me. If I had room, I'd get a competitor. Maybe in the future, for now, could get it done on my party.

Now I use a BWS for 3 meats and the WSM for chicken. Always like to have a backup cooker and I can use different wood for chicken that way.

the secrets are out!!!!!!!:razz:

In the beginning, I used a Tucker, then 1 FEC100 in the back of my pickup, then added a WSM (advent of trailer), then dropped the WSM for a Fatboy, then Fatboy was replaced by a second FEC100, then added a Primo XL Oval. Last year I cooked most contests with the pellet Jambo. If (when) I sell the trailer, I'd like to get a Jambo-type trailer to mount an FEC100 with room for another cooker.

Kinda along the same line, Joanne Blanchard, Smokin' Joe's Too (a Texas cook), always cooked all three/four categories on one 18" WSM. One of those minimalist cooks with 1 brisket, 1 butt, 2 slabs of ribs and just enough chicken (Texas rules they do halves). Always admired the planning it took to do that and she did it quite well. Made it to the Jack in 2007, I think. Fine lady, she could stir the pot better than most. RIP

Back