BBQ Brethren "Roots! and/or Chicken Sammich!" Throwdown

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm only announcing this now so I don't forget it later.

Our category beginning 5/6 is...

[size=+2]"Your Roots! and/or Chicken Sammich!"[/size]
jeopardy3.jpg

How much are you willing to throw down on this one?!

...as chosen by The Great Poohbah himself (aka BBQchef33 aka Phil) and Smokey Al Gold (aka the creator of the Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010)!

In this Throwdown you can make one, or the other, or both! There will be two vote threads afterwards, one for each item. You are welcome to enter one of each, or if you are really creative you can make one dish that fits both items and can go into both polls.

First off, Roots. What Phil means by this is your heritage, your ancestry, something that harkens back to who you and your ancestral family really are.

For Chicken Sammich...well...it's a farking Chicken Sammich, what the fark more is there to say?

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/6 through Sunday 5/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 5/15.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 5/16 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 5/20. All votes will be public.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

This is gonna be tough to do both, especially since sammiches are not a big part of my ethnic heritage.

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Could I combine the 2?

Time for another debacle! Whew I was worried there wouldn't be enough debacles this year. Can I enter a bite of debacle on a fork?

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Could I combine the 2?
Yes, if you like, you can make a chicken sammich that ties back to your roots. If you do, it will go into both voting threads.:becky: It's like two for one!:thumb:

Can another meat also be used with the chicken in the sammie or does it have to be just chicken?

Ah, fond memories. My first zero was the chicken sammich I believe.

Chicken is the Root of all Evil.

Personally, I think if you mix chicken with another meat, it is no longer a chicken sammich...unless of course you're using something like bacon which is more of a topping really.

G'Day Bruces'!

Did everyone forget about this Throwdown or somethin????

Well I hope you've all got buckets of chicken left over from your massive BBQing efforts, so you can all knock up a CHICKEN SAMMICH for Sunday Lunch...:heh::heh::heh:

I was thinking of an original sort of preparation, so I got some boned out chicken leg quarters and cut them into longish strips.

Then I made me some gen-u-ine Teriyaki Sauce from this book I recently got... along with a few of the ingredients too...
DSC_0016_2436.jpg

I dusted the Chicken skewers with Japanese Pepper and a little EVOO
DSC_0017_2437.jpg

They went on to my El Cheapo Satay Stick Grill and were basted with the Teriyaki Sauce till done...
DSC_0019_2438.jpg

DSC_0020_2439.jpg

DSC_0021_2440.jpg

Then plated:
DSC_0025_2442.jpg

The kids just ate them off the sticks, which was cool, but I wanted my Chicken in a Sammich!:becky:
I toasted some fresh sour dough rolls on the grill, roughly diced the Teriyaki Chicken and popped it on the roll...
DSC_0029_2445.jpg

I added grated cucumber, some dry slaw, julienned green onion and some sprigs of coriander leaf... (entry pic!)

Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Sammich!

DSC_0031_2447.jpg

And added another skewer to finish off with!

This was an awesome Sunday Lunch... REALLY Tasty too!

Cheers!

Bill

Da#$it SmokinAussie I would vote for ya but yer turn in pic does not have that crazy guy with the beard biting raw meat!!!!

Back