MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:20 AM   #16
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
My vertical is basically a WSM clone. I am sure it would have worked fine on it. But when they did not want to answer my questions I looked at other options
ButtBurner,
Sorry about your bad experience. Anybody here would know what to ship you if you said "WSM clone". Not that you didn't, could have been a brain fart on our part, or a monday. I'm here if you guys want to pm me, or my email address is [email protected].

Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #17
Enkidu
Take a breath!

The Pitmaster IQ has to be plugged into an outlet, right?

IIRC, the PartyQ operates on batteries.

I am planning to get one or the other of these some day (well, I have a B-day coming up in a little more than a month, so I am guessing that is when I will get one), but I haven't decided which to put on my wish list.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funugy View Post
I went with the IQ becuase of the price. It is simple and easy, with no frills. I did have to re-solder the contacts for the temp probe and power on the main board as they came loose. I am a bit rough with my toys. Other than that, I have had no problems.

I don't know if I could justify something more expensive at this point since all any of them do is blow air when the temp gets too low. I have checked the accuracy of the temp probe and have been satisfied with it's accuracy.
funugy,
When we first started shipping the present generation (surface mount power/temp jacks sticking out of side of case), we started building them with a reel of power jacks from Adam Tech (p/n ADC-028-1). Turned out that these were defective and internal spring pressure would cause them to deform during the reflow process. Long story short, the manufacturer admitted they were defective, but a couple dozen made it to the field. They passed production test and worked for a while but the mechanical integrity of the solder joint was compromised and some failed. Most were recalled, repaired, and returned. Sorry you had to repair your own but it's cool that you can!

Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 AM   #19
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkidu View Post
The Pitmaster IQ has to be plugged into an outlet, right?

IIRC, the PartyQ operates on batteries.

I am planning to get one or the other of these some day (well, I have a B-day coming up in a little more than a month, so I am guessing that is when I will get one), but I haven't decided which to put on my wish list.
The IQ works on 12VDC. It comes with a 110-240VAC wall wart, but a 12VDC to cigarette lighter plug is available for powering from a "jump box". If you go with a battery powered unit, consider a fresh set for each overnight cook, especially if it is cold or your cooker has a high air demand.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

I've got a pitmaster IQ and I love the thing. Runs my large BGE no problem. Worth every penny. Would buy a second if I had a second egg.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 AM   #21
Bucknbacon
On the road to being a farker

I have the IQ, it.s simple to use and works great

Old 01-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John I. Que View Post
ButtBurner,
Sorry about your bad experience. Anybody here would know what to ship you if you said "WSM clone". Not that you didn't, could have been a brain fart on our part, or a monday. I'm here if you guys want to pm me, or my email address is [email protected].
I tried to be as detailed about the cooker as I could, I even provided a link to it.

I think if your customer service person would have asked me a few more questions and shown a little more interest in getting me setup I would have one of your units now
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #23
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm1226 View Post
I got the nano q and love it. Yeah I need to have another temp controller with it but I have that already. I didn't want the ique because it looks like I might break it is week. I am rough with my toys as well. I am sure they both work the Same.
Why do feel it is weak? The case is 0.100" polycarbonate, the material used in expensive medical instrument enclosures. The air tube is 0.063" EPDM, manufactured by the same guys that make respirator hoses for firefighters. We had a UPS truck back over a fallen box, smashing everything inside, and the IQ still worked. The probe is delicate and requires care in handling; you have to be gentle when passing it under the lid, keep it out of the fire, and you can't yank on it like you do your power cords out of the wall. Other than that, many, many are in the field and only a very small percentage fail. The problem is that, with a few exceptions, you only read the posts of unsatisfied customers. And with a 30 day money back guarantee (probe not included), what's to lose?

Last edited by John I. Que; 01-29-2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: typo
John I. Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #24
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I too have an Pitmaster IQ. I have nothing else to compare it to so my thoughts are obviously biased. It just works! I've used it on a cheap offset, that leaks like a sieve, and I've used it on my UDS. No complaints. The offset still needs tending regardless. The UDS has gone over night unattended many a time with excellent results. I've run it continuously on a deep cycle battery for 12 hour cooks with plenty of battery to spare. Just my $.02. Cheers!!!

COS:

UDS:

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
funugy
Take a breath!

@ John I. Que: thanks for the info. Please don't take my observation as a "shot" at your product.

I will have to agree with the bro's that have posted after my initial post. It works, it is simple, and it is reliable. I do recommend this product. The IQ 110 allows me a simple and consistant way to maintain constant temps in my UDS.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #26
BBQdisciple
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone using these on CG Akorn?
BBQdisciple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #27
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdisciple View Post
Anyone using these on CG Akorn?
The CG Akorn is uber efficient. It needs very little air. The biggest challenge in using a power draft controller is keeping it from overshooting the setpoint. If it does, then it starves the fire until it is nearly out, or worse yet, all the way out. A very small blower needs to be used, like on Guru's Nano, our our own IQ110 with the intake damper set to '1'. Also, I recommend the "ring of fire" charcoal arrangement. It's basically just a partial ring of charcoal around the outside of the charcoal grate, and you only light on end. This way a smaller amount of charcoal is burning at any one time, and is less prone to temperature oscillations caused by the blower cycling on an off. I determined this by testng with my multi channel temperature recorder. I made a video of the IQ110 on the CG Akorn here: (note that in the middle I show a normal charcoal arrangement, and that at the end is the better arranggement)

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #28
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I gota add. Temp controllers, regardless of the manufacturer, are a life saver! I had 20 lbs. of Canadian Bacon & 2 racks of Baby Backs to smoke Friday. I started the UDS out on it's own but the 20-30 mph winds were causing all kinds of havoc. Imagine smoke coming out of the intakes with every gust & the temp holding @ 150F with all 3 intakes open. After battling it for about 45 minutes I hooked up the IQ-110, set it to 250F and in about 15 minutes I was ready to cook. The temp hung there steady for the next 4 hours. Cheers!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #29
thompson238
Got Wood.

I have the iq110 and I have used it on my performer and also on my wsm and i love it. My family (brother and dad) use bge and they both use gurus and other than a few bells and whistles I think my Iq110 is very comparable as far as getting the job done. I also work in a plastic and rubber injection facility and i agree with John on his choice of materials for the construction of the case and hose. I think its gona boil down to personal preference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR