MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Default Sparky's Texas BBQ: Farmingdale,NY(Long Island)

LIFO's - I just noticed this new BBQ place today.

Spanky's Texas BBQ in Farmingdale on New Highway (one block east of Route 110).

http://www.sparkystexasbbq.com/

I think it used to be a bar but don't recall the name... Not an ideal location but I would guess it is catering to the lunch time crowd of workers who drive trucks in that area or work around there as it's more industrial area. Sign out on front has the same logo as in the link along with a big sign that says "Brisket Ribs Pulled Pork"

PigTrip - I hear your name calling for a visit...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
Pigtrip
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm there, definitely by spring. Roadtrip?
1 Weber kettle grill
2 Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers (bullet)
1 Big Green Egg (large)
Pigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

The guy who is opening is the same guy who vends from that huge gatorpit trailer setup. He also competed Grill Kings 2 in hecksher. I had his food at a street fair in west babylon about 2 years ago. It was good.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My brother knows the guy. I have to ask Gary about it.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am at 538 Broadhollow Road, will make sure to check it out next week.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
LIFO's - I just noticed this new BBQ place today.

Spanky's Texas BBQ in Farmingdale on New Highway (one block east of Route 110).

http://www.sparkystexasbbq.com/

I think it used to be a bar but don't recall the name... Not an ideal location but I would guess it is catering to the lunch time crowd of workers who drive trucks in that area or work around there as it's more industrial area. Sign out on front has the same logo as in the link along with a big sign that says "Brisket Ribs Pulled Pork"

PigTrip - I hear your name calling for a visit...
Vinny,

You are in striking distance for lunch, check it out and let us know.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #7
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
The guy who is opening is the same guy who vends from that huge gatorpit trailer setup. He also competed Grill Kings 2 in hecksher. I had his food at a street fair in west babylon about 2 years ago. It was good.

I remember him now... He was vending at Grill Kings at Belmont too with the Gator Pit. I don't think he placed very well in the actual contest but it can't be easy trying to vend and compete at the same time.

I'm willing to give it a shot and check it out.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I passed by this evening about 8PM and it was busy
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Old 02-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #9
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

Per mapquest Sparky's is about 2.2 miles from my office so I decided to swing by today around noon.
Introduced myself and Sparky, aka Mark Semprebene came out from the kitchen and gave me the ol 'cooks tour'. He's using an Oyler from Mesquite, Texas and burning oak and maple.
He is not directly affiliated with the bar (formerly Sportspage) and the place definitely has potential.
Mark himself said he is staying under the radar at this point and they are just starting up and will take a while longer before the word should get out "officially" (in my opinion.)
Mark is a nice guy and you will recognize him from Grill Kings for sure.
Pigtrip, your spring roadtrip will probably be very timely.
Meanwhile, feel free to stop by and say hi. I grabbed a sliced brisket sandwich to go to bring back to the office and it was pretty tasty.
Dos centavos for now.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #10
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Howdy!

I stopped by Sparky's today and picked up their 'sampler' platter to go.

About the restaurant:
Sparky's has a decent size parking lot, with a row of spaces directly in front of the building and more space on the left side. When you enter there is a dining room to the right with roughly 12 tables and a barroom to the left with a full bar and about 8 tables.

The decor is simple, understated and comfortable.

The kitchen was clean and seemed well organized. They have a very large smoker made by J&R Manufacturing of Mesquite, Texas.

The bartender who took my order said they use a mix of woods that includes cherry.

The sampler had chicken breast (whole), pulled pork and brisket. It came with two sides and two rolls. I chose the baked beans and mac & cheese. With tax, the total came to $13.50 (and they didn't charge me for a soda at the bar while I was waiting, which was nice).

The order was huge. I'm a big guy. I can eat a lot. I couldn't finish this. Absolutely a great deal for the price. The sides were probably at least 10oz each and the portions of meat were very generous. The sauce was served on the side.

The brisket suffered from what you would expect in a standard bbq joint. It must have been sitting in a steam table for quite some time. The color and consistency was closer to that of pot roast. Appearances aside, the brisket was tasty and moist.

The pulled pork had the same problem, but faired better. It was a tad congealed, but was still good. The flavor was excellent. It had a nice smoky flavor and it seemed to have an underlying taste of a mild sauce.

The chicken seemed to have been cooked skinless with a pepper heavy dry rub. If you like food on the spicy side it was enjoyable.

The mac and cheese was made with shells and (seemingly) cheddar. It was a bit dry and the addition of bread crumbs didn't help that. It was, however, pretty good.

The beans seemed to be from a can and then jazzed up. It had a nice flavor that seemed reminiscent of yellow mustard. I would have preferred that it was a tad sweeter and included some brisket, but it wasn't bad.

The sauce was looser than a normal KC sauce and had a nice heat to it that lasted for quite a while. I believe that there may have been alcohol in it, but I couldn't be sure.

I didn't expect the food to be piping hot by the time I got home, but it was barely warm.

In spite of the problems, I enjoyed the meal very much.

I believe that any low points would have been ameliorated by my arriving earlier and/or eating at the restaurant. It is certainly worth visiting again.

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

I remember them from Belmont Grill Kings. My wife,myself & BIL/SIL all ate there stuff and we felt they were the best of the vendors. Nice people, we were there at the end of the evening and Laura(running the site) gave me a big package of rib tips to take home--nice touch, that was after we gave her the unofficial award of best of the vendors.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM   #12
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
I remember them from Belmont Grill Kings. My wife,myself & BIL/SIL all ate there stuff and we felt they were the best of the vendors. Nice people, we were there at the end of the evening and Laura(running the site) gave me a big package of rib tips to take home--nice touch, that was after we gave her the unofficial award of best of the vendors.
Are you sure you are not mistaking them for Laura BBQ shack? Was the set up a huge gatorpit trailer or a little loghouse?
Old 02-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
Porky
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Are you sure you are not mistaking them for Laura BBQ shack? Was the set up a huge gatorpit trailer or a little loghouse?
Big Gator pit located on the west end of the parking lot. Log Cabin(Laura's BBQ) was at the opposite end. It was just a coincidence that the ladies name was Laura.
Weber OTG Walnut handle from Marty Leach
KCBS #20486,FBA certified Master judge,IMBAS (MOINK BALL) Certified

Like what you do. Do what you like.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky View Post
Big Gator pit located on the west end of the parking lot. Log Cabin(Laura's BBQ) was at the opposite end. It was just a coincidence that the ladies name was Laura.
Thats why I was a askin.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 AM   #15
Pigtrip
Knows what a fatty is.

Eric, nice write up, it sounds like despite the kinks the place has potential. The take-out factor may have affected not just the temperature but the texture (steaminess) as well.
1 Weber kettle grill
2 Weber Smoky Mountain Cookers (bullet)
1 Big Green Egg (large)
Pigtrip is offline   Reply With Quote