• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kamado Restoration Project

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Found this at a yard sale. Not sure if it is an Imperial Kamado or what. Cannot find any markings on it. The Firebox and grate are in pieces and I have started the restoration. It has Rotisserie rod slots that look original as they have metal sleeves embedded into the material.

There was a glass window that is broken out, I will replace it with something metal and put the Temp Gauge through it.

Not sure what the original color was, under the intake slider there is actual some blue. It only has one hinge, a cast iron griddle that I assume is for Indirect. The Fire Ring has grooves in it that have bailing wire wrapped around, it does not appear to be cracked.

There is a crack in the base on the bottom, I could not see it when I 1st looked at from all the ash. It looks like someone used mortar around the top of the Firebox, it just crumbled.

Then there was the RAT

I just wanted to post some Pic's and have a few questions of someone that is an expert in restoration.

I am using JB weld for the cracks, Okay?

Any ideas how old it is?

Any advice?

Picture032.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture042-1.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture016-1.jpg

Picture018-2.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg

Picture037.jpg

$10.00

Last edited by a moderator:
SUPERSCORE!!!!
I really like the rotis feature!
Swamp should know what model you have there.
Never seen one with a window either

Paul

Wow - $10 - best score I've seen. Wish I could find this stuff up here - best score I could get would be a gasser..lol After seeing some sweet threads of people rebuilding and refinishing these you'll be all set - it'll look like new and you'll be cooking on a cooker worth much more than $10 in the end...

Keep it out of the rain!

The ones I usually find come with spiders, the RAT is a score!

Keep it out of the rain!

The ones I usually find come with spiders, the RAT is a score!

Thanks Brian,

I know you are the resident expert so I appreciate your help.

Out of the rain? Does the material absorb moisture? Good thing I live in the Desert.

Is it an Imperial Kamado and how old do you think it may be?

What about painting the exterior, good idea? If so I was planning on cleaning it well and using a good primer, is Hi-Temp paint necessary?

It does not appear to have a gasket, I have an extra one for my Egg that I plan on installing, it is the felt type. I think it will be fine as I have read not to do Hi Temp cooking with it.

Thanks for any advice!

That's an odd one. By profile it looks like an IK but I've never seen a viewing window on any ceramic before. It will be interesting to see if anyone can positively ID this old clay pot.

That's an odd one. By profile it looks like an IK but I've never seen a viewing window on any ceramic before. It will be interesting to see if anyone can positively ID this old clay pot.

Me too. I am thinking it may be an older design that was rethought after someone realized that you could not view anything after the first smoke or two. :doh:

Terry-

Go to the Naked Whiz site and download the Pachinko Palace Kamado Manual/Cookbook.

I have seen some with viewing windows and rectangular thermometers in the dome. I think Woodmonkey has one like yours with a rotisserie. He is in Florida, and I've met people at Eggfests here tell me of ones their dads brought back from Japan that had rotisseries too.

PM me and I can give you some tips.

Restoration Progress

Thought I would post some Pron of the project.

Putting the Firebox back together, not going to be pretty.

Picture010-2-1.jpg

Picture032-1.jpg

Bottom of base had hairline crack, used a Dremel tool to notch out the crack. Leaving the original weep hole open.

Picture009-2-1.jpg

1st filled the crack with JB Weld yesterday then today coated most of the bottom. Hope this was right.

Picture012-1-1.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Cart is a mess, It looks like 2 of the wheels were buried in dirt for a long time. 1/2 done prepping.

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture029-1.jpg

I have a feeling the "weep hole" was someones attempt to keep the crack on the bottom from spreading, but to no avail. That is common for them to crack at the vent. Main reason to use no more than 30 briquettes at a time.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but any paint that I have tried to cover JB Weld has not adhered and flakes off rather quickly. I even tried roughing it up and it won't take.

100_2707.jpg

100_2812.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

I have repainted this twice after the initial base coat of BBQ Black paint and it still flakes off in the areas repaired with epoxy.

IMG_0496.jpg

Toss the charcoal grate and get either a Lodge cast iron trivet or a BGE iron grate.

100_1865.jpg

Good luck! You are off to a great start, keep us posted on the progress!

Coming along, good thing I have a Makita and a drill with a wire wheel.

Curing the Firebox cement, went from 170º to 500º over a 2 hour period. Do not do this and let the wife see.

Picture058-1.jpg

Rough but seems sound.

Picture067.jpg

Picture063.jpg

Cart is primed, got the old Castor's out and went with 3" replacements with brakes.

Picture069-1.jpg

Picture071-1-1.jpg

Have a lot of items in progress right now, biggest holdup is waiting for the paint to dry.

Last edited:
Back