MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Default Are the Thermapens really that good?

I see the Thermapens highly used by many Brethren.

What makes the Thermapen superiour to the $25 models from Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. ??????

Accuracy?

Faster reads?

Durable?

I need something that I can use to get checks on what I'm cookiing periodically.

I use the ET-732 to give me a running watch on my internals but I'd like something faster on the faster stuff like boneless breasts or steaks. Raise the lid....take a fast read...then lid back down.

I'm tired of overcooking steaks. Having a good read would be super.

I don't mind paying for one.....if it's going to hold up and perform steady for years.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Bought mine after watching this video and have loved it ever since. I will buy another if it ever get lost stolen or broken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R_tpfyFitDY
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-20-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

My Black Thermopen operates at 300 Mega-Delineations per second.

It can be yours for the low, low price of $300.

Dave

Old 04-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Yes. They are that good. They are faster than any 'cheap' alternative. Whether or not that extra speed is relevant is up to the buyer. I have a Thermapen and the Maverick PT-100. I like the PT-100 myself and I still have both but the Thermapen has moved into my girlfriend's kitchen to be her candy thermometer... I also think the thermapen is probably a 'tad' faster than the PT-100 and maybe 1 degree more accurate. So basically, I think they are equal. Here's my comparison video on those two products:

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Cool.

Thanks for the insight.

Getting one. A gazzillion satisfied Brethren can't be wrong. :)

Last edited by DubfromGA; 04-20-2013 at 01:37 AM..
DubfromGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 03:23 AM   #6
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thermapen all the way everyday.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

You won't be sorry. I use mine nearly every time I grill or BBQ. It will change the way you cook. No more over-cooked steaks as you said.

Now some on here will tell you that you should be able to look at a steak on the grill from 100 yards away and tell if it is done just by looking at it. I'm not that good YET so I rely on my ultra-fast Packer green Thermapen for good results every time.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 05:38 AM   #8
benniesdad
Full Fledged Farker

I personally think the Thermapen is worth every penny for both accuracy and time. I don't have a Maverick PT-100 which is probably the next best alternative, but I can tell you that the Thermapen really shines in how fast it reads which also adds to its accuracy because you know what he see is the final temp. A couple of things you can do to increase the accuracy is one, when you insert it pull it back about halfway out again before you read it to ensure you not against a bone or influenced by grate temp, two calibrate it and adjust it for accuracy. The Thermapen allows you to actually make adjustments to the readings which is something most of the cheaper alternatives don't.

http://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/Therm...ion_Manual.pdf

BTW - when it comes to steaks and the like, I never use a thermometer. I test them by touch

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
pmad
is One Chatty Farker

The black one with flames is worth it as it is clearly the fastest.
The other colors, not so much.
pmad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Danny B
Full Fledged Farker

I tried several cheaper ones but finally ended up with the thermapen and it is definately worth the extra money.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Yes. They are that good. They are faster than any 'cheap' alternative. Whether or not that extra speed is relevant is up to the buyer. I have a Thermapen and the Maverick PT-100. I like the PT-100 myself and I still have both but the Thermapen has moved into my girlfriend's kitchen to be her candy thermometer... I also think the thermapen is probably a 'tad' faster than the PT-100 and maybe 1 degree more accurate. So basically, I think they are equal. Here's my comparison video on those two products:

Maverick PT-100 vs Thermapen - YouTube
i also have both the TP and PT-100 and i acually use both regularly. i got my PT-100 for $40 and you just cant beat that for the price. i probably use my TP more often because its a bit faster and seems more responsive. my only problem with the TP is it DOES NOT have a screen that lights up so when i'm using it outside at night(very often) its harder to see the display. this is the #1 reason why my PT-100 gets used regularly. On the other hand, the TP uses a lithium battery that will last a VERY long time. Before i pulled the trigger on my TP i was hesitant because almost $100 seemed like a lot of money for a weekend warrior like myself but i bought the TP and i'm glad i did. you'll be happy if you buy one also. no shame in the PT-100, either, it's also a nice product.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 AM   #12
jmoney7269
Banned

I have the 2nd generation red thermapen. It's twice as fast All the others ever made. They are worth every penny. No more overcooked steaks, hamburgers or chicken breasts when grilling also. Works great for checking different parts if the brisket although I go by probe tender in the end, the temperature is just a guideline.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Since every else gave the reasons, I will only add YES
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #14
Mike Y
Got Wood.

I use it all the time. I even take my kids temperature with it.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #15
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

They are that good.