MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:07 PM   #9496
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I relent. the ninja's bhc siege of the pit barrel appreciation thread has come to an end. the 48 hrs reign of terror is over.

no need in starting a barrel house appreciation thread. I wouldn't want to be in a thread with a bunch of guys who appreciate that company. you PBC guys are way cooler. besides my phone wants to dangerously autocorrect bhc every time I type it. failure to fix the typo may get my thread moved to woodpile and we all kjow I'm good for a few types in every pist.

My phone constantly wants to type PBS instead of PBC but it's slowly learning

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-13-2019, 05:49 AM   #9497
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro7 View Post
Was time to do some bacon. 5 hours around 200 to an IT of 150-155 using cherry chunks.
Pete - fantastic. What are the next steps in your process?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #9498
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
Pete - fantastic. What are the next steps in your process?
I vacuum seal each piece and let it sit in the fridge for at least a week to "mellow" out and let the flavors work through. Not sure if it makes a difference past a day or two, but it helps me sleep at night. Then slice and vacuum seal them into "serving" size packages and into the freezer they go. My foodsaver is my best friend

I use this recipe and added fenugreek seeds to add maple flavoring: https://jesspryles.com/recipe/how-to-make-bacon/

I cure now in big 5 gallon ziplocks I get on Amazon, but have cut the belly in 3 and used normal one gallons. It just adds to the math/cure calculations and measurements you have to do. This was an 8 day cure with flipping/shaking every day. Then took it out of the bag, rinsed, and into the fridge for 24 hours on a rack. Then smoked for 5 hours on the PBC using half of a basket of charcoal/cherry chunks with the vent closed or close too it. In the summer I may use a little less charcoal , but since it was in the twenties I used more. I buy bellies at Costco and get them as close to 9 lbs as possible since the recipe is for 3lb pieces, then slice into three even pieces. Cook to 150-155.

@IamMadMan has posted some great info on this forum about bacon curing. You can learn a lot from him.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #9499
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Default Pit Barrel at HomeDepot

I just saw this.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pit-Barr...EBNg&gclsrc=ds

Old 02-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #9500
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Beef back ribs were on sale today so I couldn't resist. I haven't smoked them before any advice or tips?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:50 AM   #9501
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Season like a brisket...cook like ribs. Depending on the amount of meat on them they should take 4-5 hours.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #9502
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealStBBQKing View Post
Beef back ribs were on sale today so I couldn't resist.

If you do not mind, what did you pay? I have looked at them over the years and passed them by, seemed like a lot to to pay for bone. Many on this board rave about them but the price-to-bone ratio has turned me off.

I've never seen plate for sale, just the heavily trimmed rib-eye rack. The pork is so much cheaper, at least in my area.

Last edited by blacksmith; 02-15-2019 at 02:03 PM..
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #9503
TealStBBQKing
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
If you do not mind, what did you pay? I have looked at them over the years and passed them by, seemed like a lot to to pay for bone. Many on this board rave about them but the price-to-bone ratio has turned me off.

I've never seen plate for sale, just the heavily trimmed rib-eye rack. The port is so much cheaper, at least in my area.

Yeah these are the trimmed rib eye ribs not plate ribs. I guess I should have said "for sale" not on sale. These were about $5/lbs. I've never seen this style in my local grocery before

Old 02-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #9504
pharp
Banned

Did some tri-tip and ribs on the PBC the other night. Sometimes it is nice to just cook what you want how you like it without worrrying about anyone else's tastes or preferences. And I sometimes forget just how good a simple recipe can turn out on the PBC! Lately (after several years of only cooking "comp style" sweet ribs) I have been playing with just Salt and Pepper, these were my best yet flavor wise. The Tri-Tip got a healthy coat of Kosmos Cow Cover Hot because I wanted some kick!

Salt and Pepper Ribs:

Tri-Tip
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 05:41 PM   #9505
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

I want to hang some picanha tomorrow. I have some thick skewers that have one hooked end which would need to be used hang it. Should I be worried about the meat sliding off the other end? How could I prevent this?
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #9506
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
I want to hang some picanha tomorrow. I have some thick skewers that have one hooked end which would need to be used hang it. Should I be worried about the meat sliding off the other end? How could I prevent this?
Yes worry.

1. Use a small potato at the bottom of the skewer
2. Use a binder clip at the bottom.
3. Drill a small hole in the point of the skewer big enough to slide your PBC hook thru. Slide the meat on, then hang it upside down, from the point.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #9507
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Yes worry.

1. Use a small potato at the bottom of the skewer
2. Use a binder clip at the bottom.
3. Drill a small hole in the point of the skewer big enough to slide your PBC hook thru. Slide the meat on, then hang it upside down, from the point.
With my available resources it looks like option 2 might be my best bet. The potato might take too much room on these relatively short skewers.
drunkenmeatfist is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2019, 03:15 PM   #9508
johnnylightnin
Full Fledged Farker

Working on my timing. I put a pork butt on at 12:30, ribs on around 2, and I just hung some chicken at 3 (CST). I figured the butt would be closer by now, but we’re still around 100 degrees.

Sometime between now and 160, I gotta figure out home I’m gonna get my split gray in there without it getting too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-26-2019, 08:58 AM   #9509
blacksmith
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmeatfist View Post
How could I prevent this?
Use stainless wire. Load up the skewer, loop the wire around the end and then around the top of the skewer. Never fails, reusable or disposable. Conforms to any situation.

https://www.harborfreight.com/0041-i...coil-8895.html
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #9510
Thingfish
is One Chatty Farker

The Pit Barrel Junior is on sale through March for $229 shipped.

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/prod...barrel-junior/
Thermoworks Smoke, Red "Backlit" Thermopen, Red ChefAlarm, Red Thermopop
Thingfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it