The weeping rib method: questions

mpriola

Reaction score
So I read that old seventeen page or so thread on the weeping ribs method, watched the funky, funky video, and searched the wider web. And yet I have questions. So at the risk of reigniting the old flame war (that was one epic thread—so much “hate”)....

1. I can’t figure from the video what the composition of the marinade and rubs was. I found the old post with all the rub recipes, but it linked to documents that were no longer available. Nobody says what was in that first wet slather.

I’ve been using Killer Hogs AP rub as a base and following with their The bbq rub, and I’ve been very happy. Just bought some R Butts Are Smokin Ozark Heat. Thinking about trying that. Thoughts?

I know that ribs generally like salt. That said, is a low salt rub preferred or was the point about the low salt rub (I read somewhere) that you already had salt in the earlier prerub, so you don’t want to overdo it later?

2. I have a Yoder YS-640, and I love it. However, the shut everything down step is problematic because the Yoder wants to go into cooldown mode when you turn it off.

I’ve considered turning it not off, but way down. I know, though, that it tends to produce more smoke at lower smoking temps. Wondering if that’s the exact wrong approach given the goal.

Nobody addresses the cooling cycle of a smoker like the Yoder and the shut it down phase. I’d like your thoughts.

Also, I tend to use a smoking tube, especially at high temperatures. Should I remove it during the shut down?

3. Y’all really shoulda been nicer to Popdady/Pitmaster T/whatever he calls himself lately. No wonder he keeps changing his name. Y’all can be harsh. It was hilarious, but brutal. If I hadn’t invented the concept of the Internet forum myself with some help from Al Gore, I’d be worried.

4. To give the man his due, Funky is Funky. But damn, there’s a whole branch of Memphis music and rib cooking that he’s just ignoring. Where’s the Soul? I’m talkin Booker T, Rufus Thomas, Isaac Hayes....

And Singin Sam Cooke. He just mighta been the best ever.

Thanks for your thoughts, and let the flaming begin.

Marty in Memphis

As for the YS640, just unplug it and there will be no electricity available to power the fan when you hit the "off" switch. The shut-down mode is designed to help prevent a fire from possibly back-traveling through the auger tube and igniting any pellets left in the hopper, as remote a chance as that may (or may not) be.

That’s not as crazy an idea as cutting off the latch on the kitchen oven to cook pizzas in self cleaning mode. I don’t think.

Back