MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:55 PM   #1
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default Alternative Logo provider

All,

I am in the market for a logo for my new team and I have seen the work that Hot Spot Graphics has done and am impressed. I jsut want to see if there is someone else that does this, to compare prices. Any help is appreciated.

Regards
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

I can tell you right now, you won't find a better price than Patrick. However, there are plenty of people that create logos. My only concern with the Hot Spot Graphics work is that they are all starting to look alike to me. Don't get me wrong, he's definitely doing a service to competition cooks on a budget. It's just nice to see some originality and uniqueness sometimes.

Rod
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Patrick is amazing, but you have to push him if you want something different. For what I paid, I couldn't ask for more. Here are a couple of the drafts that he did for us, but it took about 20 takes to get it done. However, he is fast and totally focused. The last logo is a prototype, as we still had a couple more changes before we arived at the finished product. If you look closely, the beer says "Uncle Bud," which is what my little girl calls my BIL.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nautique.jpg (26.8 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg nautique2.jpg (30.6 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg logo.jpg (53.8 KB, 124 views)
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
Deep South Single Chamber Glenda
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
22.5 OTG Samantha
Weber Genesis Mocha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

We've been toying with updating the one we originally did. I'll stay tuned to see what pops up. I know Patrick has done several brethen logos.... His prices have gone up it appears, however. He used to charge $150, if I recall. Still a steal by most commerical art standards. The best thing about his logos are that you OWN them when he is done. Alot of places will not part with the ownership rights to the logo - so you are liscening it's use from them..... I wouldnt want to have to ask permission to use my logo on something new, etc.....

The original place I looked at for logos, wanted to charge $150 to license it to use on t-shirts and a banner. adding coffee mugs and aprons, etc was going to bring it up to $300. Full ownership was $2000 (YIKES!!!!) Its not like I'm BMW and going through a branding exercise with the roundel.... For $175, I think it has to be hard to beat Patricks stuff.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

I recommend Patrick for ease of doing business, quick, quality work and willingness to work with your ideas or lack thereof. I think if you give him something challenging and more of your own ideas things will not look like standard work that Rod refers too (not saying what he did for me is so unique but at least I think the actual pig looks a little different that some of his others. I specifically requested that I wanted the pig to look a bit tough and "snarly".

Here's the sequence of things we wanted, switched gears on and then went in a totally different direction when we saw our idea was looking too one dimensional. We then tried a full skeleton look but it was not right and he agreed after drawing it. We then asked for a pirate theme with pig skull & cross bones in a flag and bones in the font. He gave suggestions but made adjustments as we wanted like the fork instead of a hook for hands, the hoop earring etc.

Notice for example how the ribs in the second pic looked like hot dogs... One e-mail request and in a few minutes a revised sketch was in my inbox.

Good Luck with whomever you go with....

(Not sure how I saved these files to upload the attachment so they may not be clear
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 08-27-2006 at 06:27 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If you are looking for something cheaper you can put it out of your head. I can recommend plenty of Graphic Artists who would be happy to charge much more. Patrick simply does the best work for the least money. To look further would be a waste of your time IMHO. Best of luck.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 07:04 AM   #7
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

My logo is the first bbq logo that Patrick had ever done. I found him through a site called elance.com. You post your project on the website and people submit a bid to do the work for you. It's really a pretty neat site.

That being said Patrick is a pleasure to work with. He's very fast and very responsive to any changes you ask him to make. And cheap.

Patrick can also do flash animation. Check out my website.
www.ismellsmoke.com

Steve
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
cmcadams

I know what you mean... You get pounded if you say you don't want Hot Spot Graphics doing your logo, but there are now so many from him that they run together a bit.

I had a bad experience getting mine done, though I'm happy with the final product, but if I were doing it again, I found a website that has logos I thought were cool and different, though I don't know if they do quicky one-offs or not: http://www.flashfonts.com/index.html. The logo page has some nice examples.

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 09:54 AM   #9
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I agree. Patrick is very responsive and patient. I thought we would drive him crazy with revisions as we changed our mind so much, but he was very accomidating and responded quickly. He was a real pleasure to deal with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pigheaded.jpg (29.3 KB, 77 views)
File Type: bmp Final Pigheaded BBQ.bmp (524.2 KB, 82 views)

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Sawdustguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams
I know what you mean... You get pounded if you say you don't want Hot Spot Graphics doing your logo, but there are now so many from him that they run together a bit.

I had a bad experience getting mine done, though I'm happy with the final product, but if I were doing it again, I found a website that has logos I thought were cool and different, though I don't know if they do quicky one-offs or not: http://www.flashfonts.com/index.html. The logo page has some nice examples.
IIRC custom logos there start at $200.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
we'll smoke u
is Blowin Smoke!

I Used Patrick And Got Just What I Wanted. He Had No Ploblem Changing Things For Me Until I Got What I Wanted. Best Money I Spent. And I Own The Logo.

KCBS MEMBER #24303
COUNTRY SMOKER 570 PELLET FEEDER
ONE SMALL HOME MADE VERTICAL
WEBER KETTLE GOLD 221/2
WEBER BABYQ
we'll smoke u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

My BILBIL (Brother-in-law's brother-in-law) owns a quick print shop and they have a graphic artist on staff. He knows that I an a BBQ-a-holic, so he asked me where teams get their graphics and banners. I sent him to look at Patrick's web site and he was very impressed with the work. He said tha he may try to get some business for custom logos, but I haven't heard anything for a few weeks.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Default Keep us updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L
My BILBIL (Brother-in-law's brother-in-law) owns a quick print shop and they have a graphic artist on staff. He knows that I an a BBQ-a-holic, so he asked me where teams get their graphics and banners. I sent him to look at Patrick's web site and he was very impressed with the work. He said tha he may try to get some business for custom logos, but I haven't heard anything for a few weeks.
Ron, if you get anything further please let us know, I would be interested in hearing what he has to offer.
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Weber Performer
Certified Moink Baller
Past President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is offline   Reply With Quote