MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Again, I don't really think I should have shared this info. If I go there and the meat is picked over, I know who to look at.

Thanks Bob!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
landarc

danged meat munchkins!!!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
pc132
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
Not at all. I'm in the Foothills in Crescenta Valley. The place is called Harmony Farms on Foothill Blvd in La Crescenta. They've got anything you want from gators to frogs and in between.

http://harmonyfarmsonline.com/
+1 on Harmony Farms

I've also had recent success getting a 13# packer at the Burbank Costco for $2.59/lb. I'd never seen them carry packers before.
pc132 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Haveuseen1?
Full Fledged Farker

Prices......How does a business come up with the prices they will charge? Well simply it needs to cover the cost of the item, and all associated secondary costs. Secondary would be labor, freight, utilities, limited shelf life, insurance, carrying cost, etc... Last factory in what the potential customer will agree to pay. Pretty much that all is the long definition of "Supply and Demand".

Someone had mentioned their Wal-Mart does not carry brisket. You can guarantee that if that Wal-Mart had a "real" demand for them, they would carry them.

Brisket 1.99/lb in TX vs 6.99/lb elsewhere. Maybe the demand in TX is greater. Maybe both locations have good demand, but the TX location has more locations to buy for and can split a much larger buy between multiple storefronts.

It is not rocket science to figure a cash and carry in TX will buy way more brisket than Joes Butcher Shop in LA or even Atlanta.

Retail is not set up in a way that the retailer is just ripping off the customers, although you see that thrown around all the time from people who really are just not in tune with the full picture. Just because a person and their 3 freinds want brisket,this does not create a "demand".

Chain stores have buying groups. They can work together to make substantial purchases and then split the delivery among multiple locations, thereby limiting the risk of any one location. Your mom and pop stores unless they are in a buying co-op just dont have this option.

There are also regional influences on pricing. Price fresh fruits and veggies in Canada, and Alaska. Price Lumber in Hawaii. I live a few miles from a fruit farm. We buy Asian Pears for 2.00 a basket. The basket usually has 10-12 pears. If we go an hour south and price them at a grocery store, they can be 1.00/ea or more.

Math you can see and realize....
item cost 5.00
Add some freight to get it to you.
Add some labor to receive it.
Add some labor to put it out on display
Add some insurance to cover any potential loss
Add carrying cost ( usually around 3% a month )
Add the labor to sell the item
Add the labor for any value added service you may do to the item ( repackage, cut, trim,etc..)
Add any cost of materials involved if you do repackage item
Add the packaging to allow customer to take item home
Add the labor to buy new item plus any needed supplies associated with the item.
Repeat process

So the fool they buys it for 5 and sells if for 7 or even 10 is not making much if any money. The one that buys for 5 and sells for 12.50 is starting to make some money.
Haveuseen1? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I just bought one at GFS for $2.59 /lb for a choice 15 lb'er. Won't know if it's any good until next week, stay tuned.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #21
16Adams

Default Variable price of meat

It is rather amazing the differences in price of beef from one coast to another and one border to another. I get the whole supply/demand distribution thing. What blows my mind is that people will splurge for the high dollar cost of the meat and then use crap non-quality charcoal for fuel. There is no excuse for that. Right now more so than at any of my time on planet earth there is quality all natural hardwood in both lump and briquettes. My favorite right now is Ozark Oak. But I have a full stash of it and others.

The market will be what the market will be. But prep and cook your cut wisely.

Honestly if I lived on the west coast Id make a road trip with the yeti and stock up on briskets in Idaho or Utah.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #22
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
It is rather amazing the differences in price of beef from one coast to another and one border to another. I get the whole supply/demand distribution thing. What blows my mind is that people will splurge for the high dollar cost of the meat and then use crap non-quality charcoal for fuel. There is no excuse for that. Right now more so than at any of my time on planet earth there is quality all natural hardwood in both lump and briquettes. My favorite right now is Ozark Oak. But I have a full stash of it and others.

The market will be what the market will be. But prep and cook your cut wisely.

Honestly if I lived on the west coast Id make a road trip with the yeti and stock up on briskets in Idaho or Utah.

I'm headed to UT next week. I go back and forth a lot and I bring some with me time to time. A lot of small family farms up there and obviously great quality meat than what you get from the stores. You hit the nail in the head with the rest too.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
landarc

As I stated above, live in the heart if the San Francisco Bay Area, and over the past two years, I have had ready access to packer briskets in the 12-15 pound range, for under $3 a pound. I drive 10 minutes, park and grab what I want. No problem. It wouldn't pay to go out of state for $2 a pound brisket

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote