MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Et 732

Got a new one. Sitting on the counter the grill probe will read the ambient air temp. The meat one does not register anything. The timer works. Is this normal because the meat probe is not in anything? The setup is confusing. This may be the problem cuz I can' set up a digital watch.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

no the meat probe is just like the bbq probe, its just shaped different

make sure its plugged in all the way

to test the probe, swap them on your unit, see if the problem follows the probe.

Is this happening on the transmitter and the receiver?
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

If the probe is not plugged all the way in it will not register, I have done that on occasion, even thinking that I did indeed plug them in all the way. They should both read the ambient temperature as soon as you turn em on (assuming you turn your stuff on before you place your probes where they need to go)
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Banjoe
On the road to being a farker

Good comments on this problem.

My ET 732 is in shipping and I'm looking forward to finally finding out what is going on with the meat in that big hot box.
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

They are a very good tool, especially when one is in the early phase of the bbq world. You are able to easily track the temps of the meat as it rises and stalls and monitor remotely as you work on other things. However one thing I have noticed is that my meat probe consistently runs 5-7 degrees hotter than I check with my thermopen. I see a lot of posts where people have higher finishing temps than they expected and I wonder if this is a common thing with these. As to your original question I would agree with the other posts.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #6
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The transmitter works fine. It's the receiver that does not work. Going back to Amazon.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Sometimes they lose sync and you just have to turn them off and back on or whatever. I loved my ET732 when I was beginning the smoking adventure. But I hardly use mine anymore these days. I use the thermapen and other methods to tell when things are done.