• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Shelf life of refrigerated cryovac meats

I recently held a 13 lb CAB packer for 47 days before cooking it. Cryo was tight, and it was in a seldom-opened shop fridge. I STILL opened it up outdoors, just in case it had turned. No problem a'tall. Very tender, beefier than most. I regularly keep briskets like that for several weeks with good results. Pork on the other hand, I just don't trust. You never hear of better restaurants selling "aged pork" as opposed to "aged beef". Just based on my own experience, aged pork doesn't improve with wet-aging. It's just... well, old and stinky and :icon_sick.

Just my two cents, for whatever that's worth these days.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

My wife and I went to Sams club three weeks ago and bought cases of brisket, ribs, and pork butt. All in cryovac. I asked the butcher how long it would keep in the freezer, he said at least 6 months. I pulled out 6 slabs the other day and thawed them out for a competition, and they were just fine. I hope this helps out.

kill date to cook date, most say 50 days(I think) what if you dont know the REAL kill date??? maybe 30 days of wet aging????

Back