Best Practices for Reconsituting Ribs, and Shoulder.

jetfxr27

is one Smokin' Farker
Prepping for a big cook. I would like to do all the cooking a day or two early. Whats the best way to reconstitute and keep the most flavor?

Methods I've seen
Shoulder:
Boil in vacuum sealed bag to temp

Ribs:
Same as above
and
Freeze and through on a hot grill.

Anyone have insight on these methods and possibly more?

Jet

Jet, boiling in vac sacked bags will work great. You could use half pans in the oven at 200 degrees by adding liquid and foiling real well if you want. Either way will work great. 2 butts and 3 racks would be quite a bit for boiling but would work really well for moisture and taste. Oven would be easier. Whichever, I am sure it will be real good. Let us know what you do and what you think of the rewarming. Good luck!!!

My concern would be over-drying them, even on indirect heat....am curious to see others opinions as to this working well or not.

I've reheated ribs directly over heat on my gasser the following day or so and they have come out good and bad...

Good: Ribs were smoked just to the point of being done and then cooled quickly so that they didn't continue to cook or dry out. reheated over med heat in gas grill and they were great! Good if you plan on adding a sauce before you serve as the sauce will set nicely on the ribs.

Bad: Smoked the ribs, ate dinner, ziplocked leftovers, reheated on a way too hot grill for too long (got side tracked somehow and fergot about em') the fat renders quickly and can flare up. The exposed ends were nearly inedible (dry & crunchy).

To me reheating in a vacuu-sucker bag might make them a bit mushy... I like my ribs lightly dry rubbed - no sauce and spritzed with a sweet (raw local honey) and salty (soy sauce) and sour (apple cider vinager) spray.
That produces a light glaze and slight bark to the exterior that goes totaly wrong even in foil...

Shoulder I prepare in advance quite often - I foil my butts and drain off the fat but keep the juices and add that to the pulled stuff. To reheat I place in lrg pot and add about a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water per butt and reheat it slowly on med low heat.
Always turns out moist and flavorful that way for me.

Have fun! :biggrin:

Back