What Now - When Pork Shoulder and Ribs are done

BarDev

Found some matches.
Earlier today I've been seeking adivese on fire size and heat in smoke chamber (see link below). The information I have recieved has been great. So have I have a few other questions.

I expect in a few hours the pork shoulder and ribs will be done. Probably the ribs will be done before the shoulders.

I have read that the shoulders should come out around 170, and some people say 200. What are your recommendations.

Also, what should I do when the pork shoulder and ribs are done. Do I need to put them in aluminum foil? Or, are there other recommendations.

Need Help with Fire Size and Heat in Smoke Chamber
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63107

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
BarDev

Call me crazy, but I usually get this kind of stuff figured out before I throw the meat on. Kind of like jumping out of an airplane and getting parachute lessons on your way down.

That being said....

If you want to pull the pork, get it up to around 195-200. You can foil at 160 or so or not, up to you. Foiling will usually help it break through any "plateau" that it hits a little faster. After you take it off at 195-200, you can keep it wrapped in foil and put in a cooler till your ready to pull it, or let it rest about 30 min and pull right away.

Ribs are done when they are as tender as you like them. Usually when the meat pulls back from the bone a quarter to half inch or so, or stick a toothpick between the bones. When the toothpick goes in nice and easy they are done.

pork is done when the bone can come out easy, ribs is when you pick it up with tongs and the middle starts to pull apart, I heard of people using the toothpick method like Saiko mentioned,,,,

I would wrap everything and put something in for moisture, I use store bought stubb's pork marinade for pork and apple juice for ribs when I am Qing at home

EDIT: pork butt is done when you want, if you want pulled pork sammys, 195 (well when the bone is easy to come out), sliced, when it gets out being stuborn about getting more done, about 170ish,

Back