The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

Burgers look tasty. I’ve been in a burger kick lately...did a Big Mac clone the other day

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Mac recreation will always be a win.

I don’t know what it is but here lately I enjoy a good burger or hot dog just as much as a steak.

Burgers look tasty. I’ve been in a burger kick lately...did a Big Mac clone the other day

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No pic? I don’t believe you [emoji12]

These were cooked on the pooper. Definitely a good flavor from the wood. Not the best burger I ever made but it wasn’t bad. Cheese, onions, and mushrooms. I was going for a mushroom and Swiss burger but I forgot to pick up some Swiss so whatever lol.

That looks great! What temp did you cook them at? Low n slow or hot n fast?

That looks great! What temp did you cook them at? Low n slow or hot n fast?

I did a reverse sear. Cooked at 250 then final sear on the grill grate flat top for a minute or two. Had issues getting to 450 deg. I got gunk on my grills internal temp probe I think. It’s nasty.

I did a reverse sear. Cooked at 250 then final sear on the grill grate flat top for a minute or two. Had issues getting to 450 deg. I got gunk on my grills internal temp probe I think. It’s nasty.

Yeah, gunk won’t help. What’s the outside temp in your neck of the woods?

Yeah, gunk won’t help. What’s the outside temp in your neck of the woods?

30s. I also just realized I was using cherry wood too. I think once I run through all the wood I’m gonna just use plain ole oak. I’ve always liked cooking with oak for smoking and grilling

I made some awesome leg quarters tonight. The smell of the cherry smoke, the rub, and sauce before taking that first bite was intoxicating. The flavor was rich and had some nice subtle yet complex flavors. My wife scored them a 9/10 which is great because she is a tough critic lol she also prefers the smoke flavor of the pellet over the lump plus wood chunks as do I. The skin split on me unfortunately but it didn’t affect the flavor obviously.

Last edited:
Cooked chicken, burgers, and dogs so far on the GMG DB; great results on all. Tastes better than food cooked on the gasser, but I can't place the origins of the great flavor. It must be coming from the pellets, but I can't identify it as smoke. Not sure I can accept a butt or brisket that doesn't have that distinctive smoke flavor. Debating on just cooking them straight up or using the A-MAZE-N tube. This "one hour on smoke, then raise the temperature" stuff doesn't suit me.

Cooked chicken, burgers, and dogs so far on the GMG DB; great results on all. Tastes better than food cooked on the gasser, but I can't place the origins of the great flavor. It must be coming from the pellets, but I can't identify it as smoke. Not sure I can accept a butt or brisket that doesn't have that distinctive smoke flavor. Debating on just cooking them straight up or using the A-MAZE-N tube. This "one hour on smoke, then raise the temperature" stuff doesn't suit me.

Dr. Blonder did a write up on this. The superior flavor is coming from combustion gases. He writes that “smoke” is a misnomer. Smoke is a combination of invisible combustion gases (the good stuff you are tasting that you can’t place) and visible gases which is actually a combination of water, soot, and creosote ( a little goes a long way). This is why people tell you to shoot for thin blue or even transparent smoke while cooking. The more invisible combustion gases you produce the better your food will taste. Wood produces the most, then charcoal, then gas, and electric produces nothing. I can attest that my food tastes better off my pellet than my charcoal but like you I’m not tasting more smoke. I believe Blonder’s write up is called “the science of smoke”.

Last edited:
And my explanation above is why I love pellet smokers and why I’ve been making my best food yet. An all wood fuel source makes a big difference.

For a butt or brisket I tend to set the cooker for 4-5 hours on “SMOKE” then raise the temp to 225-250. I also try to put the meat in cold and moist, which helps with smoke in the early hours. So far I’ve never lacked smoke flavour and never augmented with tubes, etc.

Beautiful brisket and ribs y’all!!!

I’I’ll say this about PG no more than I’ve messed with mine. A PG really benefits from a blanket especially in weather like that. A moving blanket from harbor freight would have helped in your heat containment and timing.

Wrapping a blanket around it might be a bit of a challenge. If I’m not mistaken, a Memphis, like my Mak, exhausts the smoke thru louvres in the back of the cook chamber body rather than thru a stack like a Yoder. You’d have to leave the louvres uncovered. Maybe lay the blanket over the top, drop some blanket over the front but leave the back clear? Seems awkward.

Glad my PB has a stack going to pu a new blanket this weekend ,hit it a few times as a grill which uses more pellets but wow with the cold weather a 30-60 minute run at 350-400 runs thru some pellets for sure

Dr. Blonder did a write up on this. The superior flavor is coming from combustion gases. He writes that “smoke” is a misnomer. Smoke is a combination of invisible combustion gases (the good stuff you are tasting that you can’t place) and visible gases which is actually a combination of water, soot, and creosote ( a little goes a long way). This is why people tell you to shoot for thin blue or even transparent smoke while cooking. The more invisible combustion gases you produce the better your food will taste. Wood produces the most, then charcoal, then gas, and electric produces nothing. I can attest that my food tastes better off my pellet than my charcoal but like you I’m not tasting more smoke. I believe Blonder’s write up is called “the science of smoke”.
Interesting. On my WSM, I get thin blue smoke but still have a definite smoke profile. Got next week off so maybe I'll cook two butts; one on smoke for a couple of hours, then put the second on after I turn up the temp. Later, I'll try one with the tube. Experiment!

Did some applewood smoked sausages. Man they are good! I cooked up my wife some spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs. The low carb diet can suck at times.

Last edited:
Did some applewood smoked sausages. Man they are good! I cooked up my wife some spaghetti with Italian sausage meatballs. The low carb diet can suck at times.

Man, if I didn’t have another bowl of pasta the rest of my life I’d probably be just fine. Maybe I am odd, but give me meat and veggies and I good to go. Ok, maybe an occasional junk food binge, but ya gotta keep those to a minimum :)

Man, if I didn’t have another bowl of pasta the rest of my life I’d probably be just fine. Maybe I am odd, but give me meat and veggies and I good to go. Ok, maybe an occasional junk food binge, but ya gotta keep those to a minimum :)

It’s amazing what you crave when you go without carbs for a while. Still the easiest diet for a guy who likes to bbq though.

Wrapping a blanket around it might be a bit of a challenge. If I’m not mistaken, a Memphis, like my Mak, exhausts the smoke thru louvres in the back of the cook chamber body rather than thru a stack like a Yoder. You’d have to leave the louvres uncovered. Maybe lay the blanket over the top, drop some blanket over the front but leave the back clear? Seems awkward.

As always YMMV... On the GMG there is a smoke stack making a blanket for heat containment a snap!

Back