Backwoods FatBoy - First Cook

Greendriver

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score

I have been looking forward to doing the first cook on my Backwoods FatBoy from the moment I placed my order for my cookers with Backwoods Smoker. I thought it was a great start to have them arrive just over two weeks ahead of schedule. Having been active on a number of Boards for quite a while, some folks may know that I’ve cooked on / with a number of different cookers and I have to say all have been good quality. I think the more you cook the more your understanding of cookers increase which would explain why this newest one is so good and why I have not been significantly disappointed in one so far. I unloaded my intial order of cookers Monday June 29 and took a Fatboy and Chubby home to burn in and season and do some practice cooks with before mounting inside my cooking trailer in a few weeks. At 9:55 a.m. yesterday I lit a full load of Royal Oak Lump with a weed burner in each of the 4 corners of the fire box and once in the center. Since I had rubbed the entire inside of the cooker down with Pam and a cotton cloth and planned to run the cooker at 350 I thought lighting it this way would speed up the process. My only mistake was forgetting that these cookers have two bottom vents and after starting the guru (mounted on left side next to water valve) I forgot to close the right side until I finally figured out why the guru was over shooting the set temp. continued…

SDC10641.jpg

SDC10642.jpg

The temp never exceeded 450 but I had to shut it completely down to hold it to 450 and it was 2:00 p.m. before the temp came back down close enough to the 230 pitt temp I wanted so I could put my two 7.5 lb butts on. I used 3 lg chunks of hickory and 1 maple. I probed the meat (see pic below) at 5:30 and the meats were at 148 and 152 and that matched my thermopen.

SDC10643.jpg

When I checked it at 7:20 p.m. to see if I should foil or not I didn’t feel like it had enough bark on it, but looking at the pic now they look barky enough. That butternut squash had been in our tater box too long and took the place of the remote probe clip I couldn’t ever find.

SDC10646.jpg

They were foiled when they reached an internal temp of 175 for one and 180 on the other at 8:40 p.m, about 10 min after I added water for the 1 and only time to the cooker. . They were removed from the cooker to rest at 12:30. In the pic below you see them after they were pulled and they were both removed from the cooker to rest at the same time with the one in the first pic at 197 and the second one was 195 internal and you would think they would be identical, yet the first one seem cooked more because it pulled easier and you could slice those little rounds you see off of the second (less done one) easier.

SDC10648.jpg

SDC10650.jpg

If I had these at a contest, I would be feeling mighty good right now with my chances.
I know I’ve said this before about other cookers but this is the best cooker I have ever had bar none. I did add Stubbs natural briquets to the firebox after the seasoning as I thought it could not go the entire cook without them after running 4 hrs at 350 – 450 and when I checked this morning I still had briquets as well as lump. For those that might be considering a Backwoods but are hesitant about using a cooker with water (as I was), my advise is to forget that if it’s your only issue as I only added water once and it takes seconds to do and the cooker is back up to temp as fast as any cooker I’ve ever used. The clean up will surprise you too – unless you use pans to catch your grease, any cooker will have you cleaning the grease out but with Backwoods your not scraping burnt on grease. We just let the old grease water out and added some hot soapy water back to it and brushed the bottom (kinda like washing a pot or pan). If you could see me now you would be looking at a BIG SMILE!

Other than making sure you close your vents, you should find that you only need to light one corner of the charcoal to get up to temp.

I notice you got extra sliders and heat diverter - good options

Congrats on the new cookers. I love my Backwoods and I know you will too.

can you talk to my wife and tell her how happy the Backwoods made you? I am definitely jealous.

Very nice I have been talking to my wife and son about changing direction and getting a Backwoods. Can not pull the trigger on that yet. Unfortuneately there are no dealers near me so shipping would be a problem

GD,

Welcome aboard to the Backwoods Smoker Dealer network.

I have read and followed your post on various forums in regards to the Gravity feed cookers which I have always been intriqued by.
I look forward to your comparisons of the Backwoods compared to the GF cookers.

The Backwoods cooker even makes a backyarder like myself look like a pro.:-D

One thing for sure..Backwoods customer service if and when needed is second to none.

The Stainless steel doors are just so sharp looking :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

Congrats !

Last edited:
Nice looking smoker Greendriver, the food looks excellent too!

Welcome to the BWS family.

Regarding the probe thermometer issue: I use a block of wood. Others use potatoes or wine corks. You can find alligator clips at radio shack and/or harbor freight.

GD,

Welcome aboard to the Backwoods Smoker Dealer network.

I have read and followed your post on various forums in regards to the Gravity feed cookers which I have always been intriqued by.
I look forward to your comparisons of the Backwoods compared to the GF cookers.

The Backwoods cooker even makes a backyarder like myself look like a pro.:-D

One thing for sure..Backwoods customer service if and when needed is second to none.

The Stainless steel doors are just so sharp looking :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

Congrats !

I'd be interested to hear them as well. I got out of the "Backwoods family" and am awaiting my Stumps Baby.

I'd be interested to hear them as well. I got out of the "Backwoods family" and am awaiting my Stumps Baby.

hijack alert:
Bamabuzzard
I'm intrigued when somebody from Shreveport says they are getting out of the BWS family and going with a Stumps. May I ask why?

hijack alert:
Bamabuzzard
I'm intrigued when somebody from Shreveport says they are getting out of the BWS family and going with a Stumps. May I ask why?

I'm tired of dealing with the water element of the smoker. I know, "you can cook on it without water." I've heard that before but the smoker was designed to cook with water and you can tell when you try to cook without it. I've done it several times and the units were made to cook with water.

Also, I was hoping when Mike discontinued the patio unit and started making the chubby he would address some of the issues I had with the patio such as racks not being "deep" or "wide" enough for a little more "moving around room" inside the smoker. The chubby has 15 1/2 inch wide and 16 1/2 deep racks. I HATE having to cut my ribs in half to be able to put them in the smoker (patio unit). A slab of ribs (pre-trimmed) are anywhere between 18-19 inches long (just measured some I had in the frig). Even when I trim them down with the chubby's dimensions it's going to be a tight fit and the less room there is between the meat and inner walls of the chamber the less air flow which causes temp problems. This also applies to two slabs on the same rack. I want more room between the slabs. A buddy of mine has one and says he wishes the racks and inner dimensions were a bit bigger.

The stumps are built (inner dimensions) two more inches wider and deeper which is what I want. It allows it to have a "looser fit" when putting the slabs in and puts more room between my slabs on each rack which allows more air flow.

Backwoods builds a great product and my "issues" are just that, "MY" issues. Other people have no problem with the size of the racks or dealing with the water. I've owned two BWS for eight years and will continue to use them on occassions I'm sure. Especially when I have to load up and go somewhere and bbq. That's why I'm keeping them. Much lighter units than the stumps.

I'm tired of dealing with the water element of the smoker. I know, "you can cook on it without water." I've heard that before but the smoker was designed to cook with water and you can tell when you try to cook without it. I've done it several times and the units were made to cook with water.

Also, I was hoping when Mike discontinued the patio unit and started making the chubby he would address some of the issues I had with the patio such as racks not being "deep" or "wide" enough for a little more "moving around room" inside the smoker. The chubby has 15 1/2 inch wide and 16 1/2 deep racks. I HATE having to cut my ribs in half to be able to put them in the smoker (patio unit). A slab of ribs (pre-trimmed) are anywhere between 18-19 inches long (just measured some I had in the frig). Even when I trim them down with the chubby's dimensions it's going to be a tight fit and the less room there is between the meat and inner walls of the chamber the less air flow which causes temp problems. This also applies to two slabs on the same rack. I want more room between the slabs. A buddy of mine has one and says he wishes the racks and inner dimensions were a bit bigger.

The stumps are built (inner dimensions) two more inches wider and deeper which is what I want. It allows it to have a "looser fit" when putting the slabs in and puts more room between my slabs on each rack which allows more air flow.

Backwoods builds a great product and my "issues" are just that, "MY" issues. Other people have no problem with the size of the racks or dealing with the water. I've owned two BWS for eight years and will continue to use them on occassions I'm sure. Especially when I have to load up and go somewhere and bbq. That's why I'm keeping them. Much lighter units than the stumps.

I understand your dimension issues and I know some chubby users have found remedies for those but let me ask if your Chubby was intended for competition or patio use? If for comps most people just get a chubby for chicken.

Welcome to BWS! I have a Party and just love the darn thing.
I recommend ordering a probe tree from the guru guys. You can find it on Ebay from them with cheaper shipping.

Back