MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #10606
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Here is an example of what you will find there just for year 2009

Burn Outs
BoBoQ “Does this need a burn out or am I good to go?”
Busted Knuckles Burn
Ferntj’s Burnout
Barbarian Extended Burn Outs
BBQ Wildcat asks for solutions to the DREADED Red Liner
Jtwisted13’s burnout
Jtank70s burnout
Hotandcold shows us good photos and good welds
Phubar’s Mini UDS Burn Out
Quiet One’s Top 12 Burn out tips

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #10607
N8man
Babbling Farker

Click the link right down there below my signature....hope it helps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBBQ View Post
Allright right to it I just made my first UDS and can't keep a steady temp for more than an hour. Serious fire issues. My wife would like me to bbq a pork shoulder for a party on march 10th. I can't even keep this damn thing lit much less have any practice.

Drum has 4, 7/8" holes 1 inch from the bottom
Fire basket is a 12x12" expanded metal and about 10"high and offset from the bottom by about 1"
Used Kingsford competition and also some lump charcoal with Hickory chunks.

Lighting methods used
1st time - burnt it all to coals and tried that - yeah no go since I can't add
2nd time - filled up basket with charcoal and some wood chunks - lit some wood in my chimney and put the coals on top of the unburned stuff. worked better but not for long - maybe not enough fuel??

I did put a water pan in mine - and used it both times

Temp wouldn't go above 200F unless the lid was moved to the side and had a 3" gap in a crescent shape from the lid being moved over.

Put the lid on with the 2"? threaded hole and it died and smoked way too much - temp drops.

About to make this thing into a plant holder and buy something.

Give me hope please

I actually have a few ideas but any advice is much appreciated.

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #10608
Astrobeerman
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBBQ View Post
Allright right to it I just made my first UDS and can't keep a steady temp for more than an hour. Serious fire issues. My wife would like me to bbq a pork shoulder for a party on march 10th. I can't even keep this damn thing lit much less have any practice.

Drum has 4, 7/8" holes 1 inch from the bottom
Fire basket is a 12x12" expanded metal and about 10"high and offset from the bottom by about 1"
Used Kingsford competition and also some lump charcoal with Hickory chunks.

Lighting methods used
1st time - burnt it all to coals and tried that - yeah no go since I can't add
2nd time - filled up basket with charcoal and some wood chunks - lit some wood in my chimney and put the coals on top of the unburned stuff. worked better but not for long - maybe not enough fuel??

I did put a water pan in mine - and used it both times

Temp wouldn't go above 200F unless the lid was moved to the side and had a 3" gap in a crescent shape from the lid being moved over.

Put the lid on with the 2"? threaded hole and it died and smoked way too much - temp drops.

About to make this thing into a plant holder and buy something.

Give me hope please

I actually have a few ideas but any advice is much appreciated.
Also, besides looking at how to make the fire, make sure your basket is able to breathe as well and not extiguish itself out. In other words, is the ash able to fall through the basket bottom? I do not have 4 holes (I have 3 -1inch holes, which when only 1 is left open leaves a nice steady 250 temp), but the number (wether 3 or 4) shouldn't be a big deal, its the point air can flow.

My basket uses expanded metal as well (12x12x12) on top of an 16" old grill grate, which is held 2" from the bottom using bolts/nuts/washers as legs. I've filled my basket to the top, and have gotten 24 hours steadyy burns (with charcoal still left over I might add...I think I could have gone maybe 2-3 more hours).

PM me if you need a picture of my basket.
Astrobeerman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #10609
BenCA
Found some matches.

My latest.
BenCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #10610
jm6787
Got rid of the matchlight.

I have a drum that had that same liner burned it out know its really hard to get it down to bare metal
jm6787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 11:33 PM   #10611
jm6787

that golden liner
jm6787 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #10612
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Like the old silver B series back there;)

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 02-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #10613
RIK

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

Just wanted to say hi to everyone, new to this forum and I am starting on making my first Ugly Drum Smoker, just got a really good condition drum that housed palm oil for only 10 bucks, will be starting soon on the fabrication, if anyone ahs any tips that would be great, ill post pics of my build as it moves along.
RIK is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #10614
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Default Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

The charcoal basket is one of the essential elements to successful performance. Make sure all unwanted air leaks are sealed.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #10615
BenCA
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzl View Post
Like the old silver B series back there;)

It's an old 80's Genesis 3000 I rescued from the landfill!!
BenCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #10616
AZBBQ
Found some matches.

Default Thank you N8man and Astrobeerman!

Thanks guys I was backassward on my thinking. I grill over wood pretty much exclusively, I guess I am a masochist. Anyway switching over to low and slow I knew two things and Jack just left town. Minion method was what I was looking for although I had reservations but all is a lot better now. Need to fine tune my baby and have some fun.

I'll post pics of my UADS because hey who doesn't like looking at other guys smokers?

Thanks again guys make the smoke stay out of your eyes.
AZBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #10617
ClintHTX
is One Chatty Farker

Default Ugly Drum Smoker

Already built one UDS planning on building another but I want to do something different this time. First time I built it very basic nothing over the top. Thinking of making this one a little prettier looking. What do you guys think. Also if you could change anything about how you made yours what would it be?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #10618
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIK View Post
Just wanted to say hi to everyone, new to this forum and I am starting on making my first Ugly Drum Smoker, just got a really good condition drum that housed palm oil for only 10 bucks, will be starting soon on the fabrication, if anyone ahs any tips that would be great, ill post pics of my build as it moves along.
Have plenty of beer on hand
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 AM   #10619
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quick Q,

Living in Ireland there is zero old Weber Kettle Grill Lids knocking around so i'll be getting my lid straight from Weber.

Obviously I'll be looking for the 57cm (22inch) lid. But I don't know which option to go for.

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-premium/
Width 63cm Depth 74cm Height 109cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/one-touch-original/
Width 59cm Depth 66cm Height 99cm

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/sm...untain-cooker/
Width 59cm Depth 65cm Height 124cm

Opinions would be much appreciated - Note: I don't have a barrel yet, so if any of the above doesn't confirm to a "standard" drum then please let me know.
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM   #10620
arne
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have to be honest with all of you... I have not read the thread entirely. Yet. I am stuck on page 240 or something. But that has not stopped me from building my own UDS. With my own personal twist, naturally. ;-)

I was looking at the parts list and then ran into a 2" ball valve. It came with three pieces of stainless pipe. One straight piece with thread on both ends, a 90 degree bend with thread on both ends and one with a flat edge that was probably used to clamp it to something. So I got them pulled apart and cleaned them up. As luck had it, the bend fit the bung exactly. So the start for the drum was there one dark evening.

I scored a charcoal basket based on a washing machine drum through a guy on the Dutch BBQ forum. And a cheap 21.5" grill gave up its charcoal grate and grilling grate for the UDS.

Yep, those bolts are still a bit long, but they make sure the grate cannot slide in. I will be cutting some 'fingers' to bolt to those bolts that stick up into the grate and grab it. That way it can never fall in and I can cut back the bolts a bit for some more room.

I also scored an iGrill from someone who got one as a present and didn't know what to do with it. I paid less for it than most of you do for the cheap outside thermometers, so I decided not to fit one and just go with the iGrill instead.
Obviously the probes need to go in without much trouble and without creating air leaks. Luckily I had a piece of aluminium that used to be the base of a lamp we had. So I knocked it into shape and fitted it to the drum. It took a bit of thinking to get the air seals sorted, but in the end I settled on a piece of a silicon oven liner. I couldn't find the right color, but this is close enough. ;-)

I tried to get the top of the 12.5" grill to fit. It took a lot of bashing, but it sits on there nicely. Not sure if I am going to use it at all as I hope to find another 22.5" bbq sometime soon to supply a second grate and a nicer lid. But if I need to use it, I have it. And it was a good hour spent bashing something. ;-)

Then I still needed a chimney. So, in the spirit of things I did not go out and buy one, but I knocked (literally) one together from two kitchen aid holders with a piece of threaded steal. Cost me next to nothing, but looks nice enough.

So, lit the thing yesterday and the chimney works.

Oh, and the UDS does as well. As I was struggling with the iGrill, I was not able to catch the temp on the way up. And I have learnt that the temp rises quickly with the full 2" open. After that it took me a while to get it back to around 225F. But it worked and it was stable. I just used some charcoal for the initial burn and it did not even cover the full bottom of the basket. Oh well, next is 20 pounds of coconut based briquettes and some apple wood. I have a pork butt in the fridge and I hope to be putting that on on Monday. Would do earlier, but it is just a very busy weekend... ;-)

The only thing I need to think about is the moisture that is left in the UDS after switching it off. I don't think it is there much when the UDS is burning, but after I switched it off it was about 30F outside and then rained for a bit. When I opened it this morning it had water standing on the bottom of the drum. Oh well... Any thoughts?
arne is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker