Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Good ol' burgers and dogs

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Drunken chicken

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
T

Tenderfoot

Like the title says. What should I cook to deflower my brand spanking new OTG? The wife wants pulled pork, but I would have to wait til the weekend and I haven't done any low and slow on a kettle yet. I could use the SNP but I REAAAAALLLLYYYY want to use the Weber. Help! My head hurts from all the options.

there is no option for indirect chicken, which is my favorite way to do chix on a kettle. Guess I'll have to vote for grilled chicken.

Hard to beat a big ole juicy Burger with Mayo and fresh Jalepenos

Do a grill first. I vote for ribeyes, but burgers are good, too. With steaks, you can play around with hot and cool zones, by loading your hot coals on one half of the grill. You can do the same thing with burgers, or chicken parts.

Low and slow on an OTG takes some practice. Go low risk at first, and ease into the more complicated cooks, IMO. You and your OTG need to get to know each other. Weber kettles are great cookers, but they don't do magic. You still have to learn how to use them. Keep it simple at first.

With a kettle, I think you should grill first, and smoke once you get the grilling down. Just my two-cents.

CD

The very first thing I cooked on my very first Weber was baby back ribs. It came out so good I was hooked for life! :hungry: I gotta go with that.

Bone-in chicken thighs.....bank the fuel on one side to create dual-zone cooking (foil on charcoal grate opposite side of fuel).

You can sear, move to indirect, then reverse sear. Don't forget the cherry chunk for extra flavor. :thumb:

Like the title says. What should I cook to deflower my brand spanking new OTG? The wife wants pulled pork, but I would have to wait til the weekend and I haven't done any low and slow on a kettle yet. I could use the SNP but I REAAAAALLLLYYYY want to use the Weber. Help! My head hurts from all the options.

Official vote- Ribeyes/steaks

Unofficial vote- PORK LOIN!! :biggrin1:

Cook whatever it is that you already know how to cook best that requires direct heat, e.g. steak, burgers, chicken, pork chops, port tenderloin etc. Build a two zone fire because that is one of the main things that a Weber Kettle allows you to do well. Then go cook. That way you can concentrate on learning the grill vs. learning how to operate and control the grill and how to cook that particular item at the same time.

Back