Filling a bandera water bowl

C

Cecil

The water bowl in my old smoker was easy to fill since it slid out. I was wondering what ideas you have come up with to fill the water bowl in a bandera since it doesn't slide out? I'm looking for a way to do it fast and not make a mess. Thanks for any advice!

I try to avoid putting a rack right above the pan, and use container with a long spout. Also been known to use the hose turned down really low when pressed for time.

I would think a garden watering can with the sprinkler cap removed would work well (long spout mod).

then again, you could go to sand in your water pan and not have to worry about refilling...........I prefer water myself, but others have used sand..........check the archives on sand in the water pan....you'll find it has been discussed in length........

I start off with boiling water before I add the meat so that one is easy. If I've got to refill it I usually put on thick leather gloves and lift it about an inch or two and pull it out to refill.

Solidkick said:
then again, you could go to sand in your water pan and not have to worry about refilling...........I prefer water myself, but others have used sand..........check the archives on sand in the water pan....you'll find it has been discussed in length........

I have a bowl with sand in it but I only use it when I want a steady higher temp when I do poultry. It's too hard for me to keep it steady at lower temps.

One of the oil funnels with a long spout on it works like a charm. Got mine at Wally World for 99 cents.

I usually boil the water before I add it. I use a giant tea pot with a spout so I can just pour it in. Works pretty good actually.

Garden Hose works well....will drop the temp of the pit for about 15 min....but not that big of a deal.

dapittboss said:
I usually boil the water before I add it. I use a giant tea pot with a spout so I can just pour it in. Works pretty good actually.

I do this I usually just put it on my firebox about 20 min. before I add to my water pan

I just pour away. What the hell, the bottom of the smoker is probably 230+ degrees. Any spillage will be dry in a minute.

Back