MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:45 AM   #526
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkowiakj View Post
Where at in SW Michigan? Would like to be one of your first customers if I am around.
Take 31 south to Holland then take I-196 south to Benton Harbor. I-94 west to exit 30 turn left off the ramp onto Napier Ave. Go east on Napier a couple miles to the U.S.31 bypass and take that south to Niles exit 3 (U.S. 12) follow 12 east towards Sturgis and the Q shack will be on your right. Or you can just google or mapquest it!! About a two hour drive for you.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #527
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

So thankful the wife and kids let me sleep in today. I didn't end up waking up until about 1 this afternoon. It was glorious.

Otherwise, it was a bit of a surreal night. You can dream about what it will be like all you want, but until it actually happens, you have no idea. Seeing a packed dining room, slinging food at a furious pace, and hearing the dining room full of laughter and people having a good time is hard to describe.

It was a good test for us though in terms of food quality, processes, and identifying weaknesses. The crew did outstanding. No real communication issues and the food came out quickly and accurately.

One of the things we wanted to focus on was getting true opinions from people. So, everyone got a comment card when they came in and they could fill it out anonymously. About 70% of guests did fill one out, so that was very helpful. The card had a 1-5 scale for a few key categories, and then had a space for written comments. Almost every card had 4s and 5s, and the written comments were about 95% positive, mostly praising the brisket, burnt ends, and the homemade pickles of all things.

And since we had quite a bit of food left over, we wrapped it up and gave it to the salvation army in town who have a big lunch every Monday for the homeless. They said our food will probably make over 100 meals, so that's a nice bonus.

But the key lessons learned and improvements to be made:

1. Mac and cheese was too dry. I knew this going in. It dried out after sitting in the steam table. Will have to tweak the recipe.

2. Butcher paper on the trays was too big. Again, something I sort of knew, but wasn't sure if it was worth taking the time to cut them down. Now we'll cut them smaller.

3. Older guests want coffee. Guess I'll need to get a coffee maker.

4. Everyone absolutely loved the three sauces. Many picked the spicy as their favorite, yet a number of people wanted an even spicier sauce. Looks like I may be coming up with a 4th sauce.

5. Background music.

6. Cup lids. Apparently, I bought the wrong lids for the cups. They don't fit very tightly and pop off easily. Oops.

The home runs:

1. Food quality. Not a single complaint on the food other than someone who came right at the very end and said the ribs were a bit cold and dry. But without the warming cabinet hooked up, that was unavoidable.

2. Brisket, brisket, brisket! I had a hunch this was going to be a hit since it's very difficult to find around here, and I wasn't disappointed. Almost everyone came up to me and said it was the best brisket they've ever had and was so incredibly tender and moist they wished I could just sell whole smoked briskets for them to take home for dinner. Same with burnt ends. A lot of people, even those who have never had them before, said it was probably one of their favorite things.

3. Pickles. Who knew something as simple as my homemade pickle chips would be such a hit? I was just using them as a garnish and putting a few on each tray, but half the comment cards mentioned how amazing the pickles were.

4. Outstanding sides. Corn bread/cake ;) was an obvious hit. Lots of comments about the potato salad being the best ever. And I was a bit worried about the slaw because I don't make a thick, creamy, mayo slaw that's common here, but instead it's got much more vinegar in it. Surprisingly, 80% positive on the slaw saying it had great flavor and was something different that paired well with the meat.

5. Overall comments were very positive and supportive. Everybody was saying they can't wait to come back and commented on how they would otherwise have to drive a hundred miles to find comparable BBQ. Many other locals said I shouldn't be surprised if we have a line out the door when we officially open.

All in all, it was a great night. We learned more about what we're doing right and what needs to be improved, and found out that with the very supportive community, we're in a prime position to do amazing things. I can't wait to see what the future brings.

Here are a few pics from the evening.

marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #528
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Awesome to hear the feedback was overwhelmingly positive! If I'm ever in the area, I hope I can make it by.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #529
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

That is just great to hear all went so well for you last night!

I'm sure looking forward to trying your fare and meeting you.

Congrats brother

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #530
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Great news!

Share that pickle recipe? Please......

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #531
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Glad to hear things went smoothly, for the most part. How are you doing your mac and cheese? Maybe I can help.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #532
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Way cool man, look at the smiles on folks' faces!

Old 12-08-2013, 04:22 PM   #533
landarc

The importance of good pickles is over-looked by many. But, have you ever had a great hamburger that has crappy pickles? I think too little emphasis is placed on things like that. Sounds like a great time, and surely, there is nothing quite as special as that sound of slop happy hog...I mean happy customers.

Are those pre-cut sheets of butcher paper? They are pretty large, I guess I didn't notice the size in your previous post

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #534
Jason TQ

This thread is so awesome! Congrats so far.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #535
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ View Post
Glad to hear things went smoothly, for the most part. How are you doing your mac and cheese? Maybe I can help.
Thanks, I may pick your brain later. The recipe had to change anyway because I've used a cheese soup for the base for years, but unfortunately I can't get it in bulk. My food guy searched for weeks and came up empty. So it's back to the drawing board for that recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The importance of good pickles is over-looked by many. But, have you ever had a great hamburger that has crappy pickles? I think too little emphasis is placed on things like that. Sounds like a great time, and surely, there is nothing quite as special as that sound of slop happy hog...I mean happy customers.

Are those pre-cut sheets of butcher paper? They are pretty large, I guess I didn't notice the size in your previous post
Yeah, pre-cut sheets. Impossible to find pre-cut brown butcher paper in any variety of sizes. I think I can get away with just cutting the sheets in half, but I'll need to check that when I go in tomorrow to see.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #536
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevZiLLa View Post
Great news!

Share that pickle recipe? Please......
I guess I could share one of my secrets. I'll find it and post it later.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 12-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #537
MilitantSquatter

Congrats !!

Question though.... I see you have the mac & cheese, potato salad served right on the butcher paper...

Are you considering serving in paper boats, styrofoam or plastic cups for sides like that ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #538
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

Let it be known......pickles, slaw, mac-n-cheese and all bbq sides are the rivets, nuts and bolts of a great bbq experience.
Do not underestimate the importance of having sides that compliment YOUR product.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #539
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

thats great!!

congrats

on the butcher paper sheets, Uline sells it in different sizes, but I only see white if that interests you

http://www.uline.com/BL_1956/Butcher-Paper
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #540
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Congrats !!

Question though.... I see you have the mac & cheese, potato salad served right on the butcher paper...

Are you considering serving in paper boats, styrofoam or plastic cups for sides like that ?
Yeah, we have cups and boats for sides, but didn't want to waste them for this since people were typically just getting a smaller sample size.