MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
dae06
On the road to being a farker

Default Interesting Brisket this weekend

I was smoking ribs on Saturday when I recieved a call from my mother-in-law. She was wondering if I would like to smoke a brisket for all of us for Sunday. Of course I said sure. She had picked one up at our local grocery store and to my suprise, the brisket was only 5.73 pounds. It was a packer cut, but tiny compared to any other briskets I've smoked, and worse yet, there was little to no fat on it. I mean, they took it all off. Even the fat between the flat and point was gone. I tried not to look too surprised and told her I'd have it done by 5:00 tomorrow night.

Originally when she called I was figuring I would have to start smoking this brisket around midnight to get it done (this was before I saw the size), but now, it looks like ~ a 6 hour smoke.

I'm going to tell you what I did and I would like suggestions as to what I could have done differently.

I did my usual rub, put it on my UDS at about 9:30 am and 235°. Since it was fatless, I decided to bring the internal temp up to 150°, then wrap in in foil with just a little bit of apple juice or orange juice. Once the internal temp hit 195°, I took it off the smoker (4:00 pm) and wrapped the foiled brisket in a towel and then in a cooler to rest.

All in all it turned out better than I thought it would, but It was a touch on the dry side, but tasty. The point was actully really good.

What would you guys have done differently on such a small brisket?

Old 02-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Saucy
Got Wood.

Default Interesting Brisket this weekend

Inject first. Maybe add some fat with some bacon during the cook.
Saucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

I did almost an identical cook last week.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...75#post2368375
I pretty much did what you did but I injected it.
Glad it worked out good for you.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Fireburd
Knows what a fatty is.

Some times you just can't win with a bad cut but the only thing I would have changed was use beef broth rather than a fruit juice.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would have ground that little thing in to burgers and bought a Packer and cooked that for the family. I have never seen a 5.7 lb super trim packer, the smallest I can remember is 9 lb. I think you probably had a chunk of a packer that had some of each muscle.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to say, I would have gone out and gotten a decent sized packer with some fat left on it. Sounds like you did what you could do. I have larded meat before, but, it is just a lot easier, even if you have the right tools, to just buy a better cut of meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I've not had good luck with small briskets either. I'm still learning, but I just don't think there's enough substance there to achieve a good cook with a standard approach. Luckily I got a meat slicer so I can "save it" by slicing thin and adding beef broth. makes for some great cheese steak sandwiches anyway.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
dae06

Thanks everybody. I will definately try the injection and the beef broth next time. I'm sure that would help.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae06 View Post
Once the internal temp hit 195°, I took it off the smoker (4:00 pm) and wrapped the foiled brisket in a towel and then in a cooler to rest.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I did one that small once. They are a challenge, but can still come out okay. I usually cook up in the 250* to 270* range. I don't believe in injects adding anything but flavor unless you inject with phosphates (water or juices are just going to drain or cook out). But, probably the biggest thing is I wouldn't pull at a specific temp (if that is what you did). I would pull the brisket when it tells me that it is done by probing smoothly. I generally would rather have overcooked falling apart brisket than undercooked tough brisket.

Keep trying and never turn down a gift of a free brisket. Always something to learn from it.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
dae06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I did one that small once. They are a challenge, but can still come out okay. I usually cook up in the 250* to 270* range. I don't believe in injects adding anything but flavor unless you inject with phosphates (water or juices are just going to drain or cook out). But, probably the biggest thing is I wouldn't pull at a specific temp (if that is what you did). I would pull the brisket when it tells me that it is done by probing smoothly. I generally would rather have overcooked falling apart brisket than undercooked tough brisket.

Keep trying and never turn down a gift of a free brisket. Always something to learn from it.
Good point!